Author Topic: Brooklyn Nets 2017-2018 season watch thread  (Read 87428 times)

Re: Brooklyn Nets 2017-2018 season watch thread
« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2017, 01:14:04 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Thank you to Washington for retaining Otto Porter. The remaining free agent list doesn't look good.

So, what is the probability that Lopez is traded at the draft? It has to be pretty high, right? I don't see them having much of a chance (or desire) to resign him at this point.

Nice.

But Lopez is in his last year and that's an asset the Nets are better off moving now rather than later so their overall talent level may actually be worse this year.

Brooklyn may make plays for RFAs but as we've seen teams will match offers on their RFAs. That may change a bit this year because of the number of role-playing RFAs hitting the market but RFAs don't move much. It's not a big worry.

So far, so good.

Sauce?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2017, 01:18:05 AM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Thank you to Washington for retaining Otto Porter. The remaining free agent list doesn't look good.

So, what is the probability that Lopez is traded at the draft? It has to be pretty high, right? I don't see them having much of a chance (or desire) to resign him at this point.

Nice.

But Lopez is in his last year and that's an asset the Nets are better off moving now rather than later so their overall talent level may actually be worse this year.

Brooklyn may make plays for RFAs but as we've seen teams will match offers on their RFAs. That may change a bit this year because of the number of role-playing RFAs hitting the market but RFAs don't move much. It's not a big worry.

So far, so good.

Sauce?

Should have written that they are expected to.

https://twitter.com/daldridgetnt/status/882425876306067456

https://twitter.com/ChrisMannixYS/status/882419644237328384

« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2017, 02:27:21 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
Otto Porter will make more salary than LeBron and a touch under Durant.

Wowzer. It seemed not long ago that he might not be an NBA player

« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2017, 02:30:45 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Shouldn't this be in Around the NBA like last year?

« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2017, 04:33:32 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
Shouldn't this be in Around the NBA like last year?

Really don't like posting the non-official thread either..

« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2017, 07:35:28 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
The refrain of the "Nets will be better" crowd (led by LarBrd in '16) is still based on faulty logic. It boils down to two main thoughts that are both proven false:

1. "They have no incentive to tank". Most teams don't tank until the final few weeks of the season and given bad teams lose most games anyway the total win difference between a tanking and a non-tanking team is generally about 3 - 4 wins or so. This of course discounts the "tank the season away" 76ers but that is really unpopular in league circles and isn't done often. They had no incentive to tank two years ago and wound up #3. They had no incentive to tank this year and wound up #1 in the lottery.

2. "They'll get Free Agents". There's three problems with this school of thought.

A. The first is that good FAs won't want to come to a train wreck. Remember LarBrd talking about the possibility of Durant going to Brooklyn? It was laughable then and it's not going to be any truer this year.
B. The second is that people tout the cap space Brooklyn has but fail to see the abundance of cap space on many teams. With the raise in the cap there are more teams bidding for FAs because more teams have the space. Given the limited number of decent Free Agents on the market there's no reason for a premier FA to get stuck with the Nets.
C. Brooklyn may make plays for RFAs but as we've seen teams will match offers on their RFAs. That may change a bit this year because of the number of role-playing RFAs hitting the market but RFAs don't move much. It's not a big worry.

That doesn't mean they won't improve as their roster is constructed (slightly) better than last year. But Lopez is in his last year and that's an asset the Nets are better off moving now rather than later so their overall talent level may actually be worse this year.

In short there's little reason to worry about the 2018 pick. It's almost certain to be another top 5.

Yeah, I still feel good about this.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2017, 07:41:33 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
while it is not ideal seeing anybody with any talent whatsoever join the Nets I can honestly say that giving Otto Potter a max is going to be the next decision they regret. Even with him I definitely still feel they are the worst team in the NBA.

« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2017, 07:46:43 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Washington will match.

« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2017, 07:47:19 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
while it is not ideal seeing anybody with any talent whatsoever join the Nets I can honestly say that giving Otto Potter a max is going to be the next decision they regret. Even with him I definitely still feel they are the worst team in the NBA.

Well, luckily we'll never have to know since the Wizards are expected to match.

Maybe the Nets can sign Caldwell-Pope for a max instead.

« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2017, 07:54:30 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406

I'd be surprised if Washington matches, can't imagine Wall wants him and can't imagine Potter wants to be there after Walls comments.. but I suppose if there are no better options they might.
Personally I think Gay might be the better option for Washington at this point.

« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2017, 12:26:11 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Adrian Wojnarowski@wojespn

Detroit is renouncing Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, league source tells ESPN.
Assuming Washington matches on Otto Porter sheet, Brooklyn will be a strong contender in the pursuit of Caldwell-Pope, sources tell ESPN.

Bad news for our Brooklyn pick. Keep up the good work Danny boy.

« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2017, 03:46:32 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
what do you all think will be their rotation?

also if this could be moved to Around the NBA that'd be swell, thnx :D

« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2017, 03:48:20 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156

Assuming Washington matches on Otto Porter sheet, Brooklyn will be a strong contender in the pursuit of Caldwell-Pope, sources tell ESPN.

Yeah Im hoping KCP goes to the Lakers...

« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2017, 09:23:38 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

Yeah Im hoping KCP goes to the Lakers...

Would be nice, but can't imagine that the Lakers are going to want to tie up cap space for him, and Brooklyn will no doubt offer him big, long-term money.

They'll still suck, but they'll definitely have competition for the bottom.

Mike

« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2017, 09:27:59 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

I'd be surprised if Washington matches, can't imagine Wall wants him and can't imagine Potter wants to be there after Walls comments.. but I suppose if there are no better options they might.
Personally I think Gay might be the better option for Washington at this point.

what did Wall say?