Author Topic: Should Brad Stevens be fired?  (Read 47538 times)

Re: Should Brad Stevens be fired?
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2020, 11:04:34 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Brad wasn’t the one turning the ball over and getting beat for offensive rebounds.  Execution is on the players.

Either Tatum acts up or gets traded. Feel like he needs to go.

You can't be serious. . .

When Bam is outplaying you, it’s time to go.

« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2020, 11:05:16 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1482
Brad wasn’t the one turning the ball over and getting beat for offensive rebounds.  Execution is on the players.

True, but don't you find it just very frustrating that we always do that in the third quarter? At some point that has to go on him. I've defended him for so long, and blamed the players for not executing, but we gotta draw the line here, right?

He’s coaching without a bench.  I tend to cut him a lot of slack when Wanamaker is his best bench player.

He has a team missing a key starter in the Conference Finals.  That’s despite Kemba’s struggles, and Theis’ level of play dropping off.

I don't know if I can go there, Roy. It seems that the lack of bench play is not noticed during the first halves. I would agree if we are deficient all game long, but in the first half we don't seem to feel the lack of bench play and Gordon Hayward with this team.

So this is has to be an effort and mentality problem in the second half. It seems that when the other team goes on a run, we just capitulate.
\

bench points even tonight 16 miami - 16 boston
don't think it was the horrible bench that lost the game for us tonight.  Kanter and Wannamaker had some key plays.
They did enough.

edit - I guess it should be noted that Miami's bench played more minutes.  So I guess you could argue that Miami's starters were more rested for the stretch run in the 4th?  i dunno that is even stretching it.

« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2020, 11:06:42 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

True, but don't you find it just very frustrating that we always do that in the third quarter? At some point that has to go on him. I've defended him for so long, and blamed the players for not executing, but we gotta draw the line here, right?

He’s coaching without a bench.  I tend to cut him a lot of slack when Wanamaker is his best bench player.

He has a team missing a key starter in the Conference Finals.  That’s despite Kemba’s struggles, and Theis’ level of play dropping off.

I don't know if I can go there, Roy. It seems that the lack of bench play is not noticed during the first halves. I would agree if we are deficient all game long, but in the first half we don't seem to feel the lack of bench play and Gordon Hayward with this team.

So this is has to be an effort and mentality problem in the second half. It seems that when the other team goes on a run, we just capitulate.
\

Maybe we should focus on the team playing above it’s head in the first half, then, because the roster has major flaws. And yet, again, we’re in the ECF.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2020, 11:08:59 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1482

\

Maybe we should focus on the team playing above it’s head in the first half, then, because the roster has major flaws. And yet, again, we’re in the ECF.

Yeah we played really well getting to the ECF.  I think that is why we are all steamed.  We see the potential of the team when they are locked in, and we just haven't seen it yet in crunch time in game 1 or game 2.

« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2020, 11:11:09 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

\

That's fair.

I just wish he can motivate these players and help them be confident all 48 minutes of the game.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2020, 11:19:43 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1765
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

\

Yeah we played really well getting to the ECF.  I think that is why we are all steamed.  We see the potential of the team when they are locked in, and we just haven't seen it yet in crunch time in game 1 or game 2.

We also shouldn't forget that the Heat are the #5 seed. If this were happening against the Bucks, it would be infuriating, but we would understand. The fact that this MIA is punking us in extraordinary fashion is bringing many of us one step closer to the ledge. How often do you get a chance at the Finals where you don't have to play the #1 or #2 seed in the ECF? We are truly blowing it.

« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2020, 11:21:37 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
The Heat are 10-1 in the playoffs. They’re playing like the 1998 Bulls right now.

« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2020, 11:27:36 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
This is a bit crazy..hey let’s go back to 2004 and Sox down 3-0 to Yankees..Should Francona be fired? That Sox team looked dead in the water with zero fight and heart going into game 4...

« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2020, 11:27:51 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
The Heat are 10-1 in the playoffs. They’re playing like the 1998 Bulls right now.

And the Celtics are a garbage team.

« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2020, 11:34:16 PM »

Online Indocelts

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
The team’s struggle to contain the P N R in the last 2 series is baffling me. Is it a product of his poor coaching?

« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2020, 11:38:01 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1375

\

This is a problem they've had for a while, especially during the ascent of Brown, Tatum and last year Rozier and with Kyrie...their heads drop when they start missing shots. They don't hustle back and even if they don't give up transition baskets (which they didn't in the first half when they were leading) their defense is already backpedaling. Then they are a step slow on closeouts or they miss helping on PnR assignments. In other words they let their bad offense lead to bad defense, which then starts the other team's run. Then it leads to bad shot selection, either iso play or just passing around the perimeter with no off ball movement, no cutting, no off ball screens to get players open. I think some of it is just youth, when they don't see the ball go in their heads drop.

One thing I've noticed with JT, and I mentioned it in the game thread, is that when he takes a bad shot and knows he's taken a bad shot he will overcommit to trying to get the offensive rebound, almost like to make amends, and be out of position in transition.

Another thing I've noticed that when our offense is stagnant it's not necessarily that the ball isn't moving, sometimes it is, but it's moving without a purpose, and there's no off ball movement from players to try to get open. Then we take a bad shot and then we're backpedaling on defense again. That's the cycle we need to stop.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2020, 11:38:16 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552

Your hot takes are putrid.  Celts are one of the last 4 teams still playing.  TO call them a garbage team is nonsense. 

« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2020, 11:40:13 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
The team’s struggle to contain the P N R in the last 2 series is baffling me. Is it a product of his poor coaching?

Some of it is because Miami have Herro and Robinson on the corners while Bam and Dragic are running pick and roll and the help side defender doesn't want to leave them open for a drive and kick. But they have to find a solution to it, Bam was getting free rolls to the rim because we were so worried about their perimeter threat.

« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2020, 11:40:17 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

Your hot takes are putrid.  Celts are one of the last 4 teams still playing.  TO call them a garbage team is nonsense.

They're playing like they don't want to be there so far. After Lakers and Nuggets play, they may be the worst team of the bunch by far.

« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2020, 11:44:26 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White

\

We also shouldn't forget that the Heat are the #5 seed. If this were happening against the Bucks, it would be infuriating, but we would understand. The fact that this MIA is punking us in extraordinary fashion is bringing many of us one step closer to the ledge. How often do you get a chance at the Finals where you don't have to play the #1 or #2 seed in the ECF? We are truly blowing it.

Well to be fair Miami did punk the #1 seed 4-1...I think they've only lost one game in the bubble. They're super focused, unlike other teams who were allowed to bring families into the bubble for the end of conference semis and finals, Miami don't have any of their families there. Just the team.