Author Topic: Calipari's plan for NCAA change  (Read 6798 times)

Re: Calipari's plan for NCAA change
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2014, 01:59:28 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Their tuition, room, and board at major colleges is worth more than most NBDL professional players make.  At what point does the compensation stop?
The amount of compensation isn't the biggest issue. Its the fact that they aren't able to negotiate in any way and aren't afforded basic employment protections.

Fundamentally not paying labor and calling it amateurism is just a method of controlling liability and ensuring all the money flows around the players and never too them officially.

Even if you're not going to pay them, why not offer them the "cost to attend" that recipients of financial aid are entitled to?

The average gap between what athletes are allowed to receive in scholarship (tuition, fees, room and board, and books) and the "cost to attend" is about $2500 - $4500 per student.  Since there are restrictions on athletes' ability to work (due to both rules and time commitments), I think a small stipend to cover cost of living is fine.  I mean, funneling these kids $75 per week in spending money isn't going to corrupt the pristine vision we all have of amateurism.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes