Author Topic: Tyreke Evans / S&T later vs Trade Now  (Read 7976 times)

Re: Tyreke Evans / S&T later vs Trade Now
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 07:50:44 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Evans averaged 3.5 assists this year.  He is NOT a PG!!!!

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tyreke_evans/career_stats.html

Smitty77
Well given that they played him at SF, sure.

When they had him play PG he averaged 5.5 per game, not great but not terrible.

He's not a pg. They expected him to play there but they've been looking for a pg since his second year or so.

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 07:53:09 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
If we trade RR for those two, we BETTER get a PG!!!  Averaging 5.5 assists as a starting PG is TERRIBLE!!!  It is NOT just "not great," but is in fact TERRIBLE for a starting PG.  Evans also barely averaged a 2 for 1 assist/TO ratio in his first two years and NO WHERE CLOSE to a 2 to 1 in his last two years.

I am not saying that I would not consider that trade, but I am saying that we BETTER have a PG in hand if we do that.

Tyreke is a very unique talent IMHO, but he is NOT a PG.

Smitty77

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 07:53:38 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Thanks Bball Tim!!

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 08:28:17 PM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
If we trade RR for those two, we BETTER get a PG!!!  Averaging 5.5 assists as a starting PG is TERRIBLE!!!  It is NOT just "not great," but is in fact TERRIBLE for a starting PG.  Evans also barely averaged a 2 for 1 assist/TO ratio in his first two years and NO WHERE CLOSE to a 2 to 1 in his last two years.

I am not saying that I would not consider that trade, but I am saying that we BETTER have a PG in hand if we do that.

Smitty77

He basically played this entire season at the SG position. He has only started about maybe 50 games in his nba career at PG.

I think the idea is that he has the talent to be a PG, but he hasn't been used in that capacity yet and when he has he hasn't had the players around him. When he did play PG he did only average somewhere around 5-6 assists, but he was on a pretty bad team and he never really got the full run of the offense for a full season.

I don't think he really works at SG given his lack of a midrange game so it makes sense to try and move him to PG where his slashing style would open up looks for other guys as the D collapses on him. In the right system he could be successful.

Alternatively he could be absolutely atrocious and not be able to run the point.

If a trade like this were to be made I'd be looking to get Isaiah Thomas back too, especially since he isn't as necessary with Rondo at PG. He could help stabilise the position while Evans works out the kinks.

I like Evans' talent, but I think he might be one of those guys who just doesn't fit right in any position category and will be hard to fit into a system.

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 09:31:21 PM »

Offline Celtics Brand

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
Both the Lakers & Heat won championships with point guards who did not get a lot of assists.  I am still hoping Ainge will trade Rondo for Evans & the # 7 Kings pick & draft (Len or Adams).  I would then trade Kevin G. Jet, & Doc for Bledsoe, Butler & sign & trade for Odom (just to make the numbers match), the number 25th 1st this year & 1st in 2015.  Doc does not want to rebuild, both Odom & Butler will be on 1 yr contracts.  Bledsoe & T Evans  complement each other.  They can both bring the ball-up, just like Ainge & DJ did.  Bring Bradly off bench.  Point guards are over rated.  Unless you have MJ or Lebron  big men win championships.

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 10:10:20 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Both the Lakers & Heat won championships with point guards who did not get a lot of assists.  I am still hoping Ainge will trade Rondo for Evans & the # 7 Kings pick & draft (Len or Adams).  I would then trade Kevin G. Jet, & Doc for Bledsoe, Butler & sign & trade for Odom (just to make the numbers match), the number 25th 1st this year & 1st in 2015.  Doc does not want to rebuild, both Odom & Butler will be on 1 yr contracts.  Bledsoe & T Evans  complement each other.  They can both bring the ball-up, just like Ainge & DJ did.  Bring Bradly off bench.  Point guards are over rated.  Unless you have MJ or Lebron  big men win championships.

I don't see how "Doc does not want to rebuild" fits in with your lottery team. And unless you have Duncan or Shaq or Hakeem bigs don't win titles all that often, it's the smaller guys like Bird/Magic/Isiah/MJ/LeBron that dominate the league.

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2013, 06:22:42 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
To my way of thinking, the Kings would never trade both Tyreke and Cousins just for Rondo due to the ACL injury. Most likely we would have to include more assets to make this deal work.

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2013, 08:03:59 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
I can't understand about all this "Tyreke is not a PG" argument. Yes, he is not a natural PG but could run the position so well and has the tremendous advantage (height with speed and shooting) over all the other current PGs. In all honesty, I would part with Rondo if we get him plus Jason Thompson. Forget Cousins + Tyreke for Rondo, it is highly unlikely to happen.

Having Tyreke as our future PG is like having Ron Harper as LAL's PG during their 3-yr title run with Shaq. Unlike Rondo, Tyreke would definitely hit the 3s and FTs with better accuracy rate, get rebounds, defend/cover PGs and SGs and could at times be a go-to guy - an overall thing that Rajon couldnt be. OTOH, Rondo would be very helpful in Cousins and the Kings' development. They need a PG like him who could /facilitate plays for them. Tyreke is not a good fit for them.

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 08:57:49 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Smitty77

In Boston's 2008 title season Rajon Rondo averaged 5.1 APG.

In 09-10 and 11-12 Russel Westbrook averaged 5.3 and 5.5 APG respectively.

In 05-06, 09-10 and 12-13 Raymond Felton averaged only 5.6, 5.6 and 5.5 APG respectively.

In his 12 seasons in the NBA Tony Parker has averaged > 6.0 APG only 6 times.

In his 12 seasons in the NBA Mo Williams has averaged > 6.0 APG only 6 times.

In out of his 16 seasons in the NBA, Chauncey Billups has averaged > 6.0 APG only 4 times.

In his first 4 NBA seasons, Jeff Teague has averaged > 5.0 APG only once.

In 5 NBA seasons Mario Chalmers has ever averaged greater than 4.9 APG.

In 07-08, 08-09 and 09-10 Mike Conley averaged 4.2 APG, 4.3 APG and 5.3 APG respectively.

I think every one on that list has proven by now that they are quite capable of handling the PG spot in starting roles, despite the fact that their assist averages were not always super high.  In the seasons listed very few of those guys averaged much more than 2 Ass/TO either.

Moral of the story here is that Tyreke has been played in all sorts of different roles for terrible coaches on terribles teams with terrible management (much like Terrence Williams).  Not a lot of people out there would have declared T-Will as a capable PG until he game to Boston, but did an amazing job more often then not when he was played at the PG spot, and clearly has potential in that role. 

There is no telling his capable Tyreke may be at PG if you played him there consistently and clearly defined his role.

With the right coaching and teammates around him I could see Tyreke putting up 16.5 Pts, 6.5 Ass, 5.0 Reb per night, and in today's NBA (or any generation's NBA really) those are pretty overall numbers for a starting PG.  In his first three seasons he never averaged under 16.5 Pts, 4.5 Ass, 4.6 Reb so those numbers aren't a huge stretch of the imagination.

I wouldn't mind seeing Tyreke and T-Will on the court together actually...T-Will at PG and Tyreke at SG.  In the meantime though this lineup is definately 'contender' level talent:

Tyreke Evans
Paul Pierce
Jeff Green
Kevin Garnett
Demarcus Cousins

I'm still hessitant to believe that the Kings would giveup Tyreke AND Cousins for Rondo though...I think they'd want Rondo AND any one of the following:

- Jared Sullinger
- Avery Bradley
- First Round Pick

I'd probably be willing to consider Rondo+Bradley, Rondo+Sullinger or Rondo+Pick in return for Tyreke+Cousins ... but I don't think I could give up both.  Even with that offer, I'm not sure the Kings would take it.

My concern with this is what happens when Pierce and KG retire because Tyreke + Green + Cousins is a nice neuclus...but it's would take a lot of extra additions to make a contender.

Assuming we keep either AB or Sullinger I'd be pretty comfortable moving forward.

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2013, 09:26:29 AM »

Offline connor

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
I wouldn't mind seeing Tyreke and T-Will on the court together actually...T-Will at PG and Tyreke at SG.  In the meantime though this lineup is definately 'contender' level talent:

Tyreke Evans
Paul Pierce
Jeff Green
Kevin Garnett
Demarcus Cousins

I'm still hessitant to believe that the Kings would giveup Tyreke AND Cousins for Rondo though...I think they'd want Rondo AND any one of the following:

- Jared Sullinger
- Avery Bradley
- First Round Pick

I'd probably be willing to consider Rondo+Bradley, Rondo+Sullinger or Rondo+Pick in return for Tyreke+Cousins ... but I don't think I could give up both.  Even with that offer, I'm not sure the Kings would take it.

My concern with this is what happens when Pierce and KG retire because Tyreke + Green + Cousins is a nice neuclus...but it's would take a lot of extra additions to make a contender.

Assuming we keep either AB or Sullinger I'd be pretty comfortable moving forward.

I think something like Rondo and 16 for Cousins, Evans and Thomas.

I don't think that Rondo is that much of a risk coming off of his injury given that it wasn't a complete tear and has had more than enough time to recover. Cousins and Evans both come with risk though since Cousins is a head-case and Evans could be a great PG, but he hasn't shown that at the NBA level yet.

Thomas provides some insurance since he has shown that he can handle an NBA offense reasonably well, so he can split some of the duties with Evans while he works out the kinks. Alternatively if Evans just struggles to handle the point Thomas could be the primary ball-handler and Evans can go back to SG.

I've been talking to a lot of Kings fans though recently and they seem really intent on keeping Cousins despite everything and only so-so on keeping Evans since he is up for a new contract. It comes down to the owners at the end of the day, but my little pipedream of getting Cousins before KG retires is starting to seem pretty impossible unless something changes with the draft (maybe Noel falls to them or they get Otto Porter).

Evans only makes sense if Rondo is heading out and I really only want to trade Rondo if we are getting a young big back in return.

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2013, 09:11:15 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
I believe there are many players who are in need of a big franchise. Under proper ambiance and training those players will reach their full potential very fast. I think evans is one of them. You can tell he's trying in Sac but it's not happening. 
It looks to me that DA is trying to get those kind of players, but like he said,  he takes 2 teams to make a trade...

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2013, 09:32:21 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
I can't understand about all this "Tyreke is not a PG" argument. Yes, he is not a natural PG but could run the position so well and has the tremendous advantage (height with speed and shooting) over all the other current PGs. In all honesty, I would part with Rondo if we get him plus Jason Thompson. Forget Cousins + Tyreke for Rondo, it is highly unlikely to happen.

The Kings drafted Evans to be their point guard and played him at point guard when he was younger, and have been looking for someone else to be their point guard ever since. It's not like "Evans at pg" hasn't been tried before.

Having Tyreke as our future PG is like having Ron Harper as LAL's PG during their 3-yr title run with Shaq. Unlike Rondo, Tyreke would definitely hit the 3s and FTs with better accuracy rate, get rebounds, defend/cover PGs and SGs and could at times be a go-to guy - an overall thing that Rajon couldnt be. OTOH, Rondo would be very helpful in Cousins and the Kings' development. They need a PG like him who could /facilitate plays for them. Tyreke is not a good fit for them.

Yes, all we need is something like Shaq/Kobe or PP/KG/RA in their primes, then we'll be all set with whoever at pg.

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2013, 09:39:23 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

The Kings drafted Evans to be their point guard and played him at point guard when he was younger, and have been looking for someone else to be their point guard ever since. It's not like "Evans at pg" hasn't been tried before.

\

I think this all comes down to the supporting cast.  Tyreke is everybit the pointguard that Russell Westbrook was at this point in his career.  He isn't that different from Derek Rose.

He is not a floor leader like Rondo, and he never will be, but in todays NBA, the super athletic PGs who just attack attack attack have had a lot of success. 

But, you do need to have the right guys around them, just like you need the right guys to compliment Rondo. 

Sacramento never had the right guys around him.  I don't think their experiment proves he can't play PG in the NBA. 

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2013, 09:57:54 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Crimson_Stallion,

You still don't address his FAR BELOW average assist/TURNOVER ratio.  That is MORE important to me than assists.  PG's that are turnover prone do NOT win championships.

Smitty77

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2013, 10:07:27 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Crimson_Stallion,

You still don't address his FAR BELOW average assist/TURNOVER ratio.  That is MORE important to me than assists.  PG's that are turnover prone do NOT win championships.

Smitty77

While this is certainly a concern, at least part of it could have to do with playing for essentially an NBDL team, which forced him to try to do too much.

He is certainly still an aggressive, and at times reckless player, but I don't think playing on that team has helped break any of those bad habits.