Author Topic: Brown asked Ainge if they were as good as the '86 team  (Read 12713 times)

Re: Brown asked Ainge if they were as good as the '86 team
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2019, 06:46:47 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't know who is guarding someone like Giannis going the other way.  I mean I just don't think Malone or Barkley could actually guard Giannis. 

Malone would body him and that would be the end of Giannis.  I also think Leonard has had it easy guarding guys with questionable will to win like LeBron.   Michael had incredible will to win, his finals records speaks volumes about him.   Also, imagine what Mike would have done in todays cupcake league where you can't handcheck etc.

Did you even read my post properly?

I am not talking about the cream of the crop. I am talking about the average NBA player.

Watch those old Russell vids. Russell looks really good, same with Cooz. But a lot of the guys they played with and against have slow release, lack of range, mobility etc.

But the fallacy of these comments is we are talking about the Dream Team not the average player of the day.   I still think the old guys and I was talking eighties and ninties not sixties but you seem to feel the need to go way back, which is completely out of the dream team era.  Why who knows?  Si my reading is just fine but I question yours given the above facts.

https://www.thehoopsgeek.com/average-nba-height/

Keep in mind players were taller back then and heavier now.  The average vertical is about the same at 28"

In practice, many NBA players routinely exhibit vertical jump abilities that far exceed the league's average. The top draft picks routinely display vertical jumps in excess of 30 inches. The top two record holders in the NBA are Michael Jordan and Darrell Griffith, each with a vertical jump of 48 inches or 122 centimeters.

Both from the earlier unathletic era I might add.

https://www.reference.com/sports-active-lifestyle/average-vertical-jump-nba-players-9068fd8ca0a747b9

The game is different today but I think Magic, Mike and Larry would have adapted to shoot more threes.    The bigs were way better back in the day.

PG - Magic, Stockton, Thomas
SG - Jordan, Drexler
SF - Bird, Pippen, Mullin
PF - Malone, Barkley
C - Robinson, Ewing

verse today

PG - Curry, Westbrook, Lillard
SG - Leonard, Harden
SF - James, Durant
PF - Giannis, George
C - Davis, Embiid, Gobert

Also, Moranis, Golbert would play for France and Embiid is not a USA guy either.  Ditto for Giannis, remember the USA team is USA guys, not the best in the league.  This weakens tmodern team a great deal.

« Reply #76 on: August 19, 2019, 06:50:25 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I don't know who is guarding someone like Giannis going the other way.  I mean I just don't think Malone or Barkley could actually guard Giannis. 

Malone would body him and that would be the end of Giannis.  I also think Leonard has had it easy guarding guys with questionable will to win like LeBron.   Michael had incredible will to win, his finals records speaks volumes about him.   Also, imagine what Mike would have done in todays cupcake league where you can't handcheck etc.

I am not talking about the cream of the crop. I am talking about the average NBA player.

Watch those old Russell vids. Russell looks really good, same with Cooz. But a lot of the guys they played with and against have slow release, lack of range, mobility etc.

But the fallacy of these comments is we are talking about the Dream Team not the average player of the day.   I still think the old guys and I was talking eighties and ninties not sixties but you seem to feel the need to go way back, which is completely out of the dream team era.  Why who knows?  Si my reading is just fine but I question yours given the above facts.

Keep in mind players were taller back then and heavier now.  The average vertical is about the same at 28"

In practice, many NBA players routinely exhibit vertical jump abilities that far exceed the league's average. The top draft picks routinely display vertical jumps in excess of 30 inches. The top two record holders in the NBA are Michael Jordan and Darrell Griffith, each with a vertical jump of 48 inches or 122 centimeters.

https://www.reference.com/sports-active-lifestyle/average-vertical-jump-nba-players-9068fd8ca0a747b9

The game is different today but I think Magic, Mike and Larry would have adapted to shoot more threes.    The bigs were way better back in the day.

SG - Jordan, Drexler
PF - Malone, Barkley
C - Robinson, Ewing

verse today

SG - Leonard, Harden
SF - James, Durant
PF - Giannis, George

Also, Moranis, Golbert would play for France and Embiid is not a USA guy either.  Ditto for Giannis, remember the USA team is USA guys, not the best in the league.  This weakens tmodern team a great deal.

Also, Giannis would definitely play for Greece, not the US.

« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2019, 09:57:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

SG - Jordan, Drexler
PF - Malone, Barkley
C - Robinson, Ewing

verse today

SG - Leonard, Harden
SF - James, Durant
PF - Giannis, George

Also, Giannis would definitely play for Greece, not the US.
But it wasn't a country vs. country argument.  It was the best players from 92 verse the best players from today.  Just because there was only 1 foreigner that would even have a shot at making the team in 92 (Hakeem, which I explained on the last page I don't think would have made it), doesn't mean you just eliminate all of the great foreigners of today.  The influx of foreigners has in fact made the league much better and deeper today than it was even in 92. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2019, 10:24:14 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121
Maybe Jaylen Brown should stop asking stupid questions? Let's be honest here, if this was Kyrie or Rozier saying this stuff, we'd have no mercy on them, but since it's our esteemed "intellectual", people are bending over backwards to make it into something positive lol.

You're not wrong...this forum has always tending to cling to certain guys and treat them like they can do no wrong.

If Brown or Smart makes these comments, there is one response. If it were Rozier or Kyrie then the response is entirely different.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 10:39:25 PM by Muzzy66 »

« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2019, 10:38:42 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
That was probably around the time that he was interviewed before the season started and said he expected to win five championships by the time he was 28. I know Jaylen's a confident fella but that was some delusion of grandeur there. Must've come as a reality shock when they went 10-10 and couldn't mesh together.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/jaylen-brown-predicts-he-will-have-five-rings-age-28

Yeah I tend to agree.

I like Jaylen, but I think there is a fine line between confidence, cockiness, and straight up disrespect.  I do sometimes worry that Brown's ego is a little too large for him to fill at times.

To me this comment about the 86 Celtics is more than just naive, I actually find it arrogant and perhaps even at tad disrespectful.  Everybody knows how successful and dominant that team was.  To ask that question when your team hasn't even made an NBA Finals, much less won a championship, seems like almost a cop-out.  If you couldn't beat Lebron in the ECF when he had arguably the weakest supporting cast he's ever had in his career, then no - you are not as good a the '86 Celtics.   

It's not the first time he's made comments like that either, because he showed similar arrogance in the playoffs his rookie year when he was asked about matching up with Lebron and said Lebron is "just a man".  I don't think he was necessarily trying to disrepect Lebron, but comments like that don't sound good coming from a young rookie. 

Confidence is good, but too much of it can be a player's downfall.

It's part of the reason why I personally prefer Tatum - because he just seems to have a more level headed mentality, never too high and never too low.  His personality reminds me a lot of guys like Kawhi and Tim Duncan, while Brown's frighteningly enough reminds me a bit too much of a young Kyrie Irving.

« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2019, 11:00:37 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Maybe Jaylen Brown should stop asking stupid questions? Let's be honest here, if this was Kyrie or Rozier saying this stuff, we'd have no mercy on them, but since it's our esteemed "intellectual", people are bending over backwards to make it into something positive lol.

You're not wrong...this forum has always tending to cling to certain guys and treat them like they can do no wrong.

If Brown or Smart makes these comments, there is one response. If it were Rozier or Kyrie then the response is entirely different.

Personality plays a factor though. Its more likely that if Rozier said something like this it will be out of cockiness than if someone like Timelord says it.

« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2019, 12:06:58 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum

Personality plays a factor though. Its more likely that if Rozier said something like this it will be out of cockiness than if someone like Timelord says it.

I'm not sure about that.

Prior to last season (when he clearly got frustrated) Rozier has always been a quiet guy, never complained about anything, never really said anything cocky. He was the prototypical "whatever the coach asks me to do" response any time he got asked a question. Always showed respect to other star players he went up against.

Jaylen Brown has been talking with his ego since the moment he entered the league, and it's far from the first time he's made arrogant, egotistical comments.  People just give him a pass.