Author Topic: Tatum Out 10-14 Days Due to Health/Safety Protocols  (Read 7858 times)

Re: Tatum Out 10-14 Days Due to Health/Safety Protocols
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2021, 01:37:08 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm really confused how "contact tracing" even works. Because so far the Wizards have now played two teams with positive tests (Seth Curry, Timelord, maybe Tatum now too) but they can continue playing with most of their guys. Tatum and Timelord clearly have been around others especially on the court or around the benches so everyone in theory should be "quarantined" too, but not everyone is.

If they keep playing, then yeah the entire C's team will probably test positive, or at the very least everyone will be put on the safety protocols. What then?? Sixers already missing Simmons + Embiid and I think in their game today they only have like 7 players available total.

Even Chicago and Brooklyn I believe dealt with guys having to quarantine after playing the Wizards lol, but the Wizards have nobody quarantining and they can keep playing??
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2021, 01:38:41 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Time for a new bubble.

Yep. The NBA is essentially trying to pull an NFL, the problem is NBA teams only have 15 guys not 52 so losing a chunk cripples your ability to play a game. And the NFL only plays once per week, its easier to reschedule a game.

Good points

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2021, 01:52:08 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Confused how the entire team isn’t considered exposed at this point?

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2021, 01:55:55 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
I'm really confused how "contact tracing" even works. Because so far the Wizards have now played two teams with positive tests (Seth Curry, Timelord, maybe Tatum now too) but they can continue playing with most of their guys. Tatum and Timelord clearly have been around others especially on the court or around the benches so everyone in theory should be "quarantined" too, but not everyone is.

If they keep playing, then yeah the entire C's team will probably test positive, or at the very least everyone will be put on the safety protocols. What then?? Sixers already missing Simmons + Embiid and I think in their game today they only have like 7 players available total.

Even Chicago and Brooklyn I believe dealt with guys having to quarantine after playing the Wizards lol, but the Wizards have nobody quarantining and they can keep playing??

yeah I honestly don't know how the whole Celtics team isn't in quarantine right now?  It doesn't make any sense to me.

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2021, 01:59:09 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
The league looks foolish for not delaying the start of the season now. The initial February/March timeline would have been much better. Not sure why anyone would want to watch end of bench guys playing if stars start missing two weeks at a time.

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2021, 02:05:06 PM »

Offline drooldaddy

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
Haven’t you really been expecting this after the Holidays surge?
It’s hard to imagine anyone on our team not being quarantined.And probably all the Wiz’s.
It’s getting ugly.

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2021, 02:07:59 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
can't fathom why they thought the players could play with no,bubble and stay negative for covid in the first place.

They ARE the age group that is most mobile , least health risk and spread it with their social habits that hang out in the largest most covid riddled cities on th planet.

it was only gonna get worse this winter,  all the medical expects predicted  ,   does anybody use a brain anymore . 

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2021, 02:10:20 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Well, we're quickly accumulating data to compare the NBA infection rate in the bubble vs without the bubble but with standard covid precautions.

It's an interesting study.

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2021, 02:34:22 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1370
Hopefully he's ok and doesn't contract the virus. Just going to have to be next man up. I'm realistic about this type of thing happening this season, this is the world we live in today.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2021, 02:34:27 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The league looks foolish for not delaying the start of the season now. The initial February/March timeline would have been much better. Not sure why anyone would want to watch end of bench guys playing if stars start missing two weeks at a time.

Greed

Try to align with upcoming olympics and start next season by Sept/Oct

It was an ambitious plan ....  and I don't think it will survive.  Need to go back to bubble life

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2021, 02:57:49 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I guess the NBA can't really ask a team to play a game with what?

8 players? Is there a minimum?

Here's the next 12 days of games...

Heat 1/10
Bulls
Magic
Magic
Knicks
Philly
Philly 1/22

I guess the plan is to hope other teams lose guys to quarantine.

The basic reason for this cuckoo schedule is money. League will get some bad push back eventually. Couple of owner's teams get shafted, league will get pressured.

No Tatum takes the Celtics out of a few of these games. If you take the best player out of those teams roster? Same diff.

Wait til Lebron gets it. Whole league'll shut down.

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2021, 03:05:37 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Well, now the team is in trouble, lol. Unless, of course, the same thing happens to every other team (though I'm certainly not wishing for that). Otherwise, the Cs could fall pretty low in the standings, such that they end up with a really tough playoff road.

Of course, health is the most important thing; I totally understand and agree with that. Just thinking out loud about the basketball part.

At least we get to see what Jaylen can do in a No. 1 scorer role, and see how Pritchard handles an increased role. And even better ... more Tacko!!!
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2021, 03:33:07 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
This is getting out of control. I mean, what happens if another couple of our players have to enter quarantine? At which point do the league realize that it ain't a level playing field anymore?

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2021, 03:33:34 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
I guess the NBA can't really ask a team to play a game with what?

8 players? Is there a minimum?

Here's the next 12 days of games...

Heat 1/10
Bulls
Magic
Magic
Knicks
Philly
Philly 1/22

I guess the plan is to hope other teams lose guys to quarantine.

The basic reason for this cuckoo schedule is money. League will get some bad push back eventually. Couple of owner's teams get shafted, league will get pressured.

No Tatum takes the Celtics out of a few of these games. If you take the best player out of those teams roster? Same diff.

Wait til Lebron gets it. Whole league'll shut down.

Wow -- 8 games in 12 days.  I guess silver linings could include a nice rest for the players in the protocol, and some PT and experience for C's youth.

Can't imagine that it hasn't been discussed that when a team loses a certain amount of players that game will be postponed/rescheduled.

2 thoughts:
1) Once the league hits a certain # of players it may be good for a full league quarantine (2 weeks) and then resume schedule tacking on two weeks to the end.

2) Create a 2-week window at the end of the season for make-up games caused by Covid cancellations (extend the window as needed).

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2021, 03:35:12 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
yeah ...this is crazy .... how can anything really be determined who has the best team when all the teams have missing players in mass and spreading  the virus is NOT good PR for the NBA IMO .  This non bubble team ,  violates the rule of groups getting together ....it just doesn't make sense .

I think if they must continue,  then stop all play for a few weeks , allow the virus to fade from the players ranks , test and restart in the bubble system .

With players dropping out like crazy,  attempting to frame or build a season based on wins and losses  is kinda ludicrous IMO .   

Common sense needs to take over at some point and reevaluate the entire remaining games ...how they will be played.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 03:42:33 PM by SHAQATTACK »