Author Topic: Keep Fournier don't go after Lillard  (Read 6159 times)

Keep Fournier don't go after Lillard
« on: July 25, 2021, 02:42:30 PM »

Offline NHHillbilly

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 20
The ESPN story quoted Damian Lillard "We were just trying too hard to do the right thing," Lillard said. "Instead of just being who we are -- the best players in the NBA." Even with all the scorers, the US inexplicably went 4 and a half minutes scoreless.

Evan Fournier just scored 17, 11 of 22 and 7 of 10 for threes and hit a good percentage of his open shots: he did the right thing.

The Celtics will win as a team, not as a collection of individualistic "best" players.

Re: Keep Fournier don't go after Lillard
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 03:02:37 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’m glad Fournier played well and I want him back.

That said, I’d still prefer Lillard. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 03:06:07 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772

Depends who we give up.  Fournier only takes money.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 03:12:56 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Classic over reaction to one Olympic Game.

I like Fournier and want him back but you're just having a knee jerk reaction about today's game  if you think he is a better NBA player than Lillard.

The Celtics will win as a team, not as a collection of individualistic "best" players.

The main reason we have won in international basketball has been our star power.   Some of our best stars are not playing.  I think what you say is true, but not for the reason you think it is so.   We will have to play team ball since we do not have our best stars not that you have to play team ball to win.  No Harden, Curry, LeBron, Paul, AD and even guys like Kyrie and Donovan Mitchell ain't playing.   Couple with with the fact, that our international squad does not play together like the other teams and we have huge targets on our backs and we have to play hard every game.

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 03:29:01 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

I’d prefer Lillard too if he was making $15-20M a year and the C’s didn’t have to give up players to get him. That’s not the the case, though.. Dame is making between $40-50m per season and will be 32 Next year. I also would prefer having larger players like Tatum/ Brown as the #1 and #2 options. Smaller guards get exposed in the postseason.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2021, 03:52:12 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

I’d prefer Lillard too if he was making $15-20M a year and the C’s didn’t have to give up players to get him. That’s not the the case, though.. Dame is making between $40-50m per season and will be 32 Next year. I also would prefer having larger players like Tatum/ Brown as the #1 and #2 options. Smaller guards get exposed in the postseason.

Lillard is better but is he better than Jaylen and Fournier?

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2021, 05:49:06 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

Lillard is better but is he better than Jaylen and Fournier?

Would much rather have Jaylen and Fournier. Portland can keep Dame and his outrageous contract. Gotta love how Lillard is taking up a 3rd of Portlands payroll and he’s upset that his team isn’t better constructed, which is preventing them from competing for a championship. Wants to have his cake and eat it too... Lol.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2021, 08:33:04 PM »

Offline NHHillbilly

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 20

I like Fournier and want him back but you're just having a knee jerk reaction about today's game  if you think he is a better NBA player than Lillard.

The main reason we have won in international basketball has been our star power.   Some of our best stars are not playing.  I think what you say is true, but not for the reason you think it is so.   We will have to play team ball since we do not have our best stars not that you have to play team ball to win.  No Harden, Curry, LeBron, Paul, AD and even guys like Kyrie and Donovan Mitchell ain't playing.   Couple with with the fact, that our international squad does not play together like the other teams and we have huge targets on our backs and we have to play hard every game.

I disagree with you that "We will have to play team ball since we do not have our best stars..." The stars you mention would still have to play team ball to win.

I'm an old guy, so I bring up an old Celtics example:
If you wanted the best nba players, who would you want?
Kareem Abdul Jabbar or Dave Cowens?
Oscar Robertson or John Havlicek
Lucius Allen or Jojo White?
Bob Dandridge or Don Chaney ?
Curtis Perry or Paul Silas?
Lined up like this, I think if you wanted the best nba players, you want Jabbar, Robertson, Allen, Silas.
But if you want the 1974 NBA finals win, you want Cowens, Havlicek, White, Chaney, and Silas.
Playing together and doing the right thing can beat talent.
Doing the right thing and playing together is not second best: it is the Celtics way.

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2021, 08:49:39 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
Trying to sign Fournier rather than trading for Lillard makes sense, but for absolutely no reason related today’s game. One is a very solid role player who you can sign with Bird rights and slide into your empty starting forward position. The other one requires you part with serious assets, probably including Brown, and is owed absolutely ludicrous money until he’s in his mid 30s.

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2021, 08:59:45 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

I disagree with you that "We will have to play team ball since we do not have our best stars..." The stars you mention would still have to play team ball to win.

I'm an old guy, so I bring up an old Celtics example:
If you wanted the best nba players, who would you want?
Kareem Abdul Jabbar or Dave Cowens?
Oscar Robertson or John Havlicek
Lucius Allen or Jojo White?
Bob Dandridge or Don Chaney ?
Curtis Perry or Paul Silas?
Lined up like this, I think if you wanted the best nba players, you want Jabbar, Robertson, Allen, Silas.
But if you want the 1974 NBA finals win, you want Cowens, Havlicek, White, Chaney, and Silas.
Playing together and doing the right thing can beat talent.
Doing the right thing and playing together is not second best: it is the Celtics way.

Mostly true, but Allen > Jo Jo? Miss me with that jazz...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2021, 09:23:17 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Signing Lillard …..most likely means giving up a very important talent .

Right now …I don’t think Giannis is a total lock to own the NBA with his current team makeup ,  they look beatable to me. ..so Celtics might have a shot with Lillard , if he remains the player he has been for another 2-3 years .

Just have to see what GMBS and Tatum want .

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2021, 09:55:23 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Why would we have to give up Fournier to acquire Lillard?  I always assumed the trade would be something like Brown, Smart, Nesmith, and a bunch of future 1st round picks.  Fournier is then re-signed to play SG.

PG - Lillard, Pritchard, Edwards
SG - Fournier, Langford
SF - Tatum, Ojeleye
PF - Thompson, Parker, G. Williams
C - Horford, R. Williams, Brown

Use the taxpayer MLE on a wing and then sign a rookie or vet minimum for another wing
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2021, 10:23:27 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
I'd like Fournier back on a 1 yr deal.  With the cap going up next year maybe he'd be open to a 1 yr deal.  1 yr 20mil.  If he's only offered 3 yes at 14 mil taking a 1 yr gamble may not be a bad idea.  That's my pipe dream but he's most likely to get a good deal from someone.

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2021, 10:40:35 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I'd like Fournier back on a 1 yr deal.  With the cap going up next year maybe he'd be open to a 1 yr deal.  1 yr 20mil.  If he's only offered 3 yes at 14 mil taking a 1 yr gamble may not be a bad idea.  That's my pipe dream but he's most likely to get a good deal from someone.

would you take a one year deal?

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2021, 10:45:00 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

The cap potentially going up will likely make Fournier’s 2021 deal an easily traded contract, no reason to limit deal to 1 year
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet