Author Topic: Wow. Somebody worked hard on the CB calendar if it recognizes United Nations Day  (Read 14472 times)

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I didn't even know there was a day devoted to the United Nations. I didn't know that every president since 1946 has issued a proclamation honoring the day (so when Obama does it today I can't say anything about it unless he goes overboard).

You really can get an education here.

In a related topic is there a Clown Day? Does the calendar have it? I guess not. According to this I guess Oct 6 is as close as I get

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_of_the_Clown
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 10:59:54 AM by eja117 »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
It also has the Vernal Equinox and Earth Day

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I don't know about "clown day", but President Nixon signed into law the recognition of "International Clown Week", August 1 to August 7.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason

The UN requires its members to recognize UN Day as a condition of membership.

The Vernal Equinox (and the Autumnal Equinox, and the solstices) are major lunar events and are on any calendar you will find.

Same with Earth Day, which, like all national holidays, is on the calendar.

Let me guess - your calendar doesn't have these 'fake' holidays like Martin Luther King day, Valentine's day, Easter, or your mom's birthday?
God bless and good night!

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

The Vernal Equinox (and the Autumnal Equinox, and the solstices) are major lunar events and are on any calendar you will find.

Let me guess - your calendar doesn't have these 'fake' holidays like Martin Luther King day, Valentine's day, Easter, or your mom's birthday?

Excellent question.  My calendar at home is in Lithuanian and MLK day isn't celebrated there. Easter is. My mom's birthday was yesterday and I ended my streak of remembering it on my own (it's not a good excuse but our attention was drawn to our two year old's fever). I'm not sure if Valentine's Day is in Lithuania.  I don't think it is. They have Mother's Day there and I rarely forget it because it comes a week before ours so my wife is calling her mom, which helps give me a heads up.

The calendar I look at most is the one at work, and it's dry erase so it doesn't recognize holidays, real, fake, or imagined.

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Despite the smug answer, Brick, Earth Day isn't a national holiday.  In the United States, the Federal holidays are:

- New Year's Day
- Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Birthday
- Washington's Birthday
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Columbus Day
- Veterans Day
- Thanksgiving
- Christmas

Other states may have state holidays for Flag Day, Patriots Day, Lincoln's Birthday, Election Day, etc., etc.

Earth Day has been nationally recognized, but it's not a holiday.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
No wait. I do have an English calendar at home. The Lithuanian one is sort of under it.

But honestly I don't use it to look at it, cause I generally have just waited for the dentist office to make the reminder phone call, but my present dentist refuses to do it, so I've got a stupid sticker and I hope I remember to write it down when I flip the calendar later.

But I am considering adding International Clown Week signed into law by Nixon.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Despite the smug answer, Brick, Earth Day isn't a national holiday.  In the United States, the Federal holidays are:

- New Year's Day
- Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Birthday
- Washington's Birthday
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Columbus Day
- Veterans Day
- Thanksgiving
- Christmas

Other states may have state holidays for Flag Day, Patriots Day, Lincoln's Birthday, Election Day, etc., etc.

Earth Day has been nationally recognized, but it's not a holiday.

hmmmm...i guess turkeys are more important than the earth.  ;)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Master Mason
Despite the smug answer, Brick

C'mon Roy.  You're the master at answering smug posts with a smug reply.

Earth Day isn't a national holiday.  In the United States, the Federal holidays are:

I'm aware.  National and Federal holidays are different things. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_holidays_by_country#United_States_of_America has a list of all national holidays.  It goes on to say, as you noted, the special holidays from which most businesses are closed: the Federal holidays.

The federal holidays (which are days off from work for federal employees) are New Years Day, Martin Luther King Day, Presidents Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day.

Not just a semantic difference... I said what I meant, and your reply paints it inaccurately.

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Despite the smug answer, Brick

C'mon Roy.  You're the master at answering smug posts with a smug reply.

Earth Day isn't a national holiday.  In the United States, the Federal holidays are:

I'm aware.  National and Federal holidays are different things. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_holidays_by_country#United_States_of_America has a list of all national holidays.  It goes on to say, as you noted, the special holidays from which most businesses are closed: the Federal holidays.

The federal holidays (which are days off from work for federal employees) are New Years Day, Martin Luther King Day, Presidents Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day.

Not just a semantic difference... I said what I meant, and your reply paints it inaccurately.

Your reply to eja was 1) smug, and 2) inaccurate.  If pointing that out hurt your feelings, I'm sorry, but it's my job to not allow you to bully other members.

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Master Mason
Yes, it was smug.  Inaccurate?  Not so much.

I'm sorry, but I was offended not by your post, but by the insinuation that the United Nations is not something that merits a holiday.

Edit: and your reply is still inaccurate, Roy.  Not all holidays are Federal, and a nationally recognized day is a holiday by (at least my and Wikipedia's) definition.

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

I'm sorry, but I was offended not by your post, but by the insinuation that the United Nations is not something that merits a holiday.

Here's the inaccurate part:

Earth Day is not a "national holiday".  If you want to stretch the meaning to include "days recognized by Congress", then there are literally dozens of such days that aren't on the calendar.

You were mistaken.  It happens, but when you smugly attack another member with your false facts, it's going to be pointed out.

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Master Mason

Earth Day is not a "national holiday".  If you want to stretch the meaning to include "days recognized by Congress", then there are literally dozens of such days that aren't on the calendar.

You were mistaken.  It happens, but when you smugly attack another member, it's going to be pointed out.

Point out what you will, but I provided a link.  Wikipedia and its cabal agree with me that Earth Day is a holiday.

If you don't agree with that definition, that's your choice, but calling it "wrong" is holier than thou and inaccurate.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Edit: and your reply is still inaccurate, Roy.  Not all holidays are Federal, and a nationally recognized day is a holiday by (at least my and Wikipedia's) definition.

Brick your op was fairly accurate in that many calendars have those days. It was also accurate in that some calendars I look at don't have some of the days you mentioned.

The topic of the UN being good or bad is totally different, and I admit my op wasn't the most reverential possible to UN Day (I admited I didn't know it existed) and it certainly should be a holiday in Kosovo which is administered by the UN

Now by all means I am curious to hear how you celebrate UN day in your home since you feel it's so important. Are there UN carols or a cake or something?

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

You were mistaken.  It happens, but when you smugly attack another member, it's going to be pointed out.

Point out what you will, but I provided a link.  Wikipedia and its cabal agree with me that Earth Day is a holiday.

If you don't agree with that definition, that's your choice, but calling it "wrong" is holier than thou and inaccurate.

Are all the holidays in that wikipedia article found on a calendar?  I missed Secretary's Day and Mischief Night on mine.