Poll

Should CelticsBlog restrict scores, identifying the winner, etc. in thread titles?

Yes, lots of fans DVR games and then watch later;
24 (38.7%)
No, by coming to a basketball forum you risk being "spoiled"
38 (61.3%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: Poll: Should we restrict "spoilers" about games in thread titles?  (Read 25032 times)

Re: Poll: Should we restrict "spoilers" about games in thread titles?
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2016, 12:15:29 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The reason it's a big issue is because a large portion of your audience are living overseas, so an NBA game is on at say, 10 am in Australia while people are work, or 3 pm in Thailand etc...
There should be an effort to keep results out of thread titles- especially with regular posters.
There's a '2016 NBA season' thread for results.

By allowing results in thread titles, you're basically saying 'don't use Celticsblog all day if you want to enjoy an NBA game when you live overseas or missed the game while you were out'.

Obviously if people come to Celticsblog then they should understand they may find out the result of a Celtics game-so avoid the blog if you don't wanna know Celtics results.

The other teams though, there really is no reason to post results of matches.
Just have 'Raptors vs Cavs 22.04.16 discussion' or something.

Doesn't even have to be a written rule, just a courtesy. I've asked triboy not to do it before, and he ignored it- I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds it annoying.

Hate to be blunt, but that's on you then.  If you don't want spoilers, don't come on the blog.

We're a basketball blog. We're going to discuss basketball.  We're all passionate enough that we're going to discuss it on a daily basis so, obviously, that's going to include games.

As a moderator, I don't really want to be concerned about whether or not someone has seen a game yet.  To me, that's on the individual poster.

Again, sorry to be blunt, but that's my feeling on this.

I don't think you're sorry to be blunt.  But whatever.

From a pure cost-benefit way to look at it, do you think having to name a thread "Spurs-Warriors game" instead of "Spurs beat Warriors 85-77" is going to cause you so much less enjoyment that it's worth spoiling the results for someone who has yet to watch the game?  It's not like this is a Spurs website or a Warriors website.  Honestly I think the amount of enjoyment someone gets from a thread title must be far beneath the amount of enjoyment someone loses from having the results spoiled from them.  Furthermore, as only one person gets enjoyment from any given thread title, whereas more than one may lose enjoyment from having the results spoiled, I think it makes sense to not post said results in the title of a thread.

Devil's advocate: Is there a line? What about "Durant scores 101!"; "Curry hits game winner from the opposite baseline!"; "Warriors score 200 on Kings; Boogie decapitates Karl in loss"?

Yes.  Obviously there's a line.  Personally I'd say the line is somewhere around what someone who doesn't follow basketball might learn relatively quickly, because then there's less expectation that someone wouldn't have found it out from a non-basketball sources anyway.  If Durant scores 101, my wife will probably get a text alert from the Washington Post.  People are going to know.  Boogie kills Karl, that's also going to be news (although my spouse has no clue who Boogie is.)  If Golden State scores a record number of points, that's going to be newsworthy also.  Or, more reasonably, people will also know who wins, and/or advances, to the NBA finals, even if they don't follow basketball.  If I were Chambers and had DVRd the finals, I certainly wouldn't come to Celticsblog before I watched the game.

But in a regular-season game where the only newsworthy thing was that those two teams played each other -- I'd think you could have a generic title.

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2016, 12:23:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The reason it's a big issue is because a large portion of your audience are living overseas, so an NBA game is on at say, 10 am in Australia while people are work, or 3 pm in Thailand etc...
There should be an effort to keep results out of thread titles- especially with regular posters.

By allowing results in thread titles, you're basically saying 'don't use Celticsblog all day if you want to enjoy an NBA game when you live overseas or missed the game while you were out'.

Obviously if people come to Celticsblog then they should understand they may find out the result of a Celtics game-so avoid the blog if you don't wanna know Celtics results.

Doesn't even have to be a written rule, just a courtesy. I've asked triboy not to do it before, and he ignored it- I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds it annoying.

Hate to be blunt, but that's on you then.  If you don't want spoilers, don't come on the blog.

We're a basketball blog. We're going to discuss basketball.  We're all passionate enough that we're going to discuss it on a daily basis so, obviously, that's going to include games.

As a moderator, I don't really want to be concerned about whether or not someone has seen a game yet.  To me, that's on the individual poster.

From a pure cost-benefit way to look at it, do you think having to name a thread "Spurs-Warriors game" instead of "Spurs beat Warriors 85-77" is going to cause you so much less enjoyment that it's worth spoiling the results for someone who has yet to watch the game?  It's not like this is a Spurs website or a Warriors website.  Honestly I think the amount of enjoyment someone gets from a thread title must be far beneath the amount of enjoyment someone loses from having the results spoiled from them.  Furthermore, as only one person gets enjoyment from any given thread title, whereas more than one may lose enjoyment from having the results spoiled, I think it makes sense to not post said results in the title of a thread.

Devil's advocate: Is there a line? What about "Durant scores 101!"; "Curry hits game winner from the opposite baseline!"; "Warriors score 200 on Kings; Boogie decapitates Karl in loss"?

Yes.  Obviously there's a line.  Personally I'd say the line is somewhere around what someone who doesn't follow basketball might learn relatively quickly, because then there's less expectation that someone wouldn't have found it out from a non-basketball sources anyway.  If Durant scores 101, my wife will probably get a text alert from the Washington Post.  People are going to know.  Boogie kills Karl, that's also going to be news (although my spouse has no clue who Boogie is.)  If Golden State scores a record number of points, that's going to be newsworthy also.  Or, more reasonably, people will also know who wins, and/or advances, to the NBA finals, even if they don't follow basketball. If I were Chambers and had DVRd the finals, I certainly wouldn't come to Celticsblog before I watched the game.

But in a regular-season game where the only newsworthy thing was that those two teams played each other -- I'd think you could have a generic title.

Tell me why in the regular season to have a generic title (near playoff like game) but in the playoffs avoid coming in before watching the pre recorded game

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2016, 12:27:43 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Yes.  Obviously there's a line.  Personally I'd say the line is somewhere around what someone who doesn't follow basketball might learn relatively quickly, because then there's less expectation that someone wouldn't have found it out from a non-basketball sources anyway.  If Durant scores 101, my wife will probably get a text alert from the Washington Post.  People are going to know.  Boogie kills Karl, that's also going to be news (although my spouse has no clue who Boogie is.)  If Golden State scores a record number of points, that's going to be newsworthy also.  Or, more reasonably, people will also know who wins, and/or advances, to the NBA finals, even if they don't follow basketball. If I were Chambers and had DVRd the finals, I certainly wouldn't come to Celticsblog before I watched the game.

Tell me why in the regular season to have a generic title (near playoff like game) but in the playoffs avoid coming in before watching the pre recorded game

Triboy, what's the need to put the actual score, though? Does the title add anything of value to your thread? You have a knack of alienating a lot of people with your lack of thought for others and the way you react when anyone disagrees with you.

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2016, 12:34:33 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Triboy, what's the need to put the actual score, though? Does the title add anything of value to your thread? You have a knack of alienating a lot of people with your lack of thought for others and the way you react when anyone disagrees with you.

Maybe one day you will read from the start of a thread, take time to analyze before impulsively replying as usual

thanks Eddie20, nice insight

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2016, 02:05:03 PM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42

There is no need and zero value.  Pretty simple. 

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2016, 02:19:15 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
I don't really have an opinion on the matter, but it's amazing that some refuse to change their title from "Spurs beat GSW 87-79 at home. Streak continues" to "Golden State Vs. Spurs Game discussion" Is it really a MAJOR deal to make that change? I don't think so.

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2016, 02:19:29 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
As a person who watches games after the fact most of the time, I'm gonna tell ya, if the outcome is gonna be spoiled, it's going to happen to me long before I log onto Celticsblog. 

I know it's becoming more and more common for people to watch the games later, but I agree --- if that's your choice, it's your responsibility to avoid spoilers, just like anything else.

These aren't the Game of Thrones forums.  The suspense of watching sports is about it being a live event.

And personally, I don't care that I know the outcome of that Spurs - Warriors game.  I still can't wait to watch it when I finally get the chance.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2016, 02:33:09 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Also, as someone who DVRed many Patriots games but went on Celticblog before watching my taped game, I am thankful that the Pats score was never given in thread titles on this blog. What's the harm in not putting scores in thread titles?

Hahah, I use Pats Pulpit for that!  ;D Although I am aware there is a Patriots Football thread here.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2016, 02:39:57 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Also, as someone who DVRed many Patriots games but went on Celticblog before watching my taped game, I am thankful that the Pats score was never given in thread titles on this blog. What's the harm in not putting scores in thread titles?

The issue here is not about someone wanting to put the scores in thread titles or not.

The issue here is about making rules, having mods enforce them and giving them extra work... unnecessary work at that.

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2016, 02:40:08 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I voted no but now I have mixed feelings considering Chambers' position regarding international bloggers. I still don't believe there should be a rule but posters should be mindful of others. Even news outlets on TV issue spoiler alert  warnings before giving some scores.

I am glad Roy H and Donoghus are in this thread. Guys please respond to my PMs.

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2016, 02:47:23 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

again and like Roy has provided examples above

there is no way around it.  Someone else could start a thread "Spurs remain undefeated at home"  "Spurs are 35-0 at home now"    etc
Of course there is a way around it. "Spurs-Warriors game discussion: does streak continue?"

Durant scores 101 in win: "Brooklyn-OKC game discussion: Durant breaks record!"

It's actually pretty easy and can make for some clever thread titles.
those are espn style headlines

Made so that the viewers don't change the channel

This is a blog about basketball

If you don't want information about a basketball game that happened, then don't visit a basketball blog until you are ready imho
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2016, 02:47:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
No. If you don't know what happened, that's on you. Don't blame us.  We shouldn't have to regulate that.

We're a community who discusses basketball.  We're going to discuss what's happening on a daily basis.  Thread title are going to illustrate that.

This. I won't comment further

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2016, 02:50:02 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Not a realistic idea. There are a significant number of posters who post based on what made them mad or happy in the most recent game. I don't want to see a bunch of generic post subjects because they are trying not to include spoilers.

« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2016, 02:50:18 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

again and like Roy has provided examples above

there is no way around it.  Someone else could start a thread "Spurs remain undefeated at home"  "Spurs are 35-0 at home now"    etc
Of course there is a way around it. "Spurs-Warriors game discussion: does streak continue?"

Durant scores 101 in win: "Brooklyn-OKC game discussion: Durant breaks record!"

It's actually pretty easy and can make for some clever thread titles.

And I like the idea of clever thread titles, too. I commented on Chambers' post in the other thread and agree that results should be left out of thread titles, but within any particular thread it is fair game. Obviously don't click on a thread if you are trying to avoid knowing anything about the subject.

Also, there should be a time limit on something like this - 12 hours or so? How can one create a thread like, "Will the Spurs continue their home streak tonight versus..?" without giving away information that they are undefeated up to that point? This becomes especially difficult on back to backs.

I am surprised how many people voted no - it seems like a pretty easy thing to do. For a lot of us, CB is just the first thing we click on whenever we go on the internet. It's more than just a message board.

« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2016, 02:50:56 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

it's funny, because i actually liked the score in the title. It showed, in this case, what kind of game it was. You don't often see the warriors scoring so low
I trust Danny Ainge