Author Topic: Jrue Holiday Extension or ......  (Read 3803 times)

Jrue Holiday Extension or ......
« on: January 27, 2024, 02:57:51 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23
First of all I want to say I'm a huge Jrue Holiday fan and what he does for the Celtics.  Yet, I'm going to give you something to think about and I've been thinking about lately.  With the news he's wanting and extension as good as it may seem, is it really worth it with a player who's 33 years old and plays as hard as Holiday does?  He's got a player option for next year that more then likely he's decline if no extension is reached this season and in the offseason want a longer deal.  If he get's an extension this year during the season he could be making 39.4 million next year or maybe reconstructs his contract.  He's not going to take a Horford deal of 2 years for 20 million, if that's the case this post is not happening.  He's going to want to be in the high 20's to 30's as that's his value.

What I'm saying is, I think we should trade Holiday but before you get mad or say this is dumb, listen and don't think with your heart, use your head and what's best for the Celtics now and future.

Let me start with the trade, it solves two problems in one as well. 
Celtics Trade - Jrue Holiday, Luke Kornet, Payton Pritchard, our 24 1st and 26 1st
Hawks Trade - Dejounte Murray and Clint Capela

First before everybody blows a gasket, yes 2 1st round picks that will be at the bottom of the draft.  We have multiple first and those have almost the same chance of a player to pan out then those two picks,  Second, this is why I think Celtics should look at this.  Murray is 27 years old, signed for 3 more years plus a player option for a 4th, 25.4, 27.5, 29.5 million over the next 3 seasons.  With White becoming a free agent after next season this year would be the time yo extend him with how he's playing as next ear he's making 19.5 million and turning 30 years old, 3 years younger then Holiday right now.  If you can extend White for two years this season for 2 years 50 million it puts him at 3 years right along side Murray so our backcourt is set for 3 years after this season.  Murray right now is averaging 21.5 ppg, 5 rpb, 5 apg.  Clint Capela give us a true center to either start or backup for us. 

Just wanted to throw out a crazy idea that won't happen but that should happen.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 03:33:33 PM by Celtics978Fan »

Re: Jrue Holiday Extensio20n or ......
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2024, 03:09:07 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
Trade him when?

Re: Jrue Holiday Extensio20n or ......
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2024, 03:09:08 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
He'd have to take a Horford-like discount to stay with us long term. White needs to be the #1 priority before anyone else.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Jrue Holiday Extension or ......
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2024, 03:43:22 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
We got Jrue to win a title now, trading him this season, especially considering what we gave up to get him is crazy.  Win a title or bust

I was always a big Danny Ainge defender but one thing that always bugged me about him was he was always too concerned with what a deal would mean 2-3 years down the road, and it always plagued us in the here and now
Greg

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2024, 03:48:27 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
My question to you is simple.  Who would you rather this year, Jrue Holiday or Dejounte Murray and Clint Capela? 

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2024, 03:59:26 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
My question to you is simple.  Who would you rather this year, Jrue Holiday or Dejounte Murray and Clint Capela?
Holiday.

His contract this year is not the problem, which I think is part of the premise of your original post, right? It's whatever he winds up with down the road.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2024, 03:59:36 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Holiday.  No reason to upset the chemistry.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2024, 04:02:27 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
Holiday.

His contract this year is not the problem, which I think is part of the premise of your original post, right? It's whatever he winds up with down the road.

No it's not about this year it's about future plus this year.  Cause Murray and Capela I'd take over just Holiday and it would last this year and future.

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2024, 04:05:27 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

Is that on the table?

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2024, 04:07:48 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Holiday.

No it's not about this year it's about future plus this year.  Cause Murray and Capela I'd take over just Holiday and it would last this year and future.

Aren't their combined salaries like $48 million?  So, basically we'd have to include Horford, too?

How does Jrue + Holiday for Murray + Capela improve us?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2024, 04:09:38 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Holiday.

Sure, and I think it's reasonable to believe he won't be as good next year.

But, given how well the team is playing:
1- I don't think your trade makes sense for the team right now
2- I don't think whatever minor problems the team has at present are likely to be solved with a -Holiday, +Murray, + Capela trade.
3- It feels premature to trade him now, since it doesn't make sense to plan for the future before a championship-calibre season is over.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2024, 04:22:38 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
Holiday.

Aren't their combined salaries like $48 million?  So, basically we'd have to include Horford, too?

How does Jrue + Holiday for Murray + Capela improve us?

No if we do the trade this year Murray is only valued at 18.2 million while Capela is 20.6.  With my trade Holiday 36.8, Kornet is 2.4. Pritchard 6.6 cause the PPC.  You don't have to give up Horford at all.

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2024, 04:28:46 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
Holiday.

Sure, and I think it's reasonable to believe he won't be as good next year.

But, given how well the team is playing:
1- I don't think your trade makes sense for the team right now
2- I don't think whatever minor problems the team has at present are likely to be solved with a -Holiday, +Murray, + Capela trade.
3- It feels premature to trade him now, since it doesn't make sense to plan for the future before a championship-calibre season is over.

1. How doesn't it make sense.  You add an all star talent, that's younger, signed longer, cheaper, better offensively but not as good defense but averages out.  Fixes a need by adding a true center, incase Porzingis or Horford go down. 
2. It's not about fixing a problem with this trade really, it's more about simply improving the team as a whole not just this year but future years.
3. It's not premature trade since you're not downgrading the team, you're improving thew team to better your odds in winning a title this year and next. 

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2024, 04:37:41 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

Holiday.

Dejounte still has a rep as a good defender, but he's not really anymore than adequate these days. Holiday is a FAR better defender. And Holiday is also the superior spot up shooter. The switchability on defense and shooting are much more needed by this team than whatever extra shot creation Murray provides.

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2024, 04:41:22 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Holiday. We are going to see his value in the playoffs.