Author Topic: Pick a Player Over/Under Points Game  (Read 4576738 times)

Re: Pick a Player Over/Under Points Game
« Reply #2820 on: October 27, 2009, 03:32:56 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Not sure what to say on Gilbert, since he didn't establish an average last year by our 10 game rule.  I'm thinking he shouldn't be allowed until he established an average this year.

I looked up the last 2 years - his most recent 10 games he averaged 17.4 ppg.  I think that'd be fair, though it might be a pain to remember it til he logs 10 games this year.

Yeh, I guess that works.  Thanks for looking it up.  We'll call it the Gilbert Rule...I can't imagine there are too many other case like this.  So lets just remember 17.4 for Gilbert.

Gilbert is the exception to every rule.  Should be his nickname   :)

I agree, there's a lack of good, original and telling nicknames in this day in age.

The Truth, The Answer, The Matrix, The Big Ticket, The Big Aristodle. All classic nicknames. Now we have crap like D12 and CB4. Add The Exception to the list of good nicknames.

I thought Agent Zero was already a pretty [dang] good nickname.

Personally, I always thought it was a little stupid. It's along the same lines as D12 and CB4. It's his number, but then inplace of his initials, it's a random, stupid word like it was a graffiti tag or xbox live name or something.

Like Employee #8  ;D (who could use a job right about now)

Oh the irony! Annnd a tp is in order for the chuckle I got at the expense of Antoine.

« Reply #2821 on: October 27, 2009, 03:33:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Whoa....hold on there. I don't see why Arenas has to be sent back to 17.4 points. He had an average last year and it was 13 points. He's an established NBA player who had an established average last year of 13 points. Why, because I was smart enough to find a bit of a loophole in the system, am I going to be punished by some new rule because people didn't see this?

His average last year was 13 points. That should be his average until 10 games into the season.

Nick,  Being that we're waiting for 10 games this season to establish averages for guys, I think it's not big of a stretch to assume we'd be looking for 10 games from last year to establish an average for a guy.  I hadn't thought of the "loophole" but it's definitely not in the spirit of the game.  I was inclined to say "no"  to anyone who hadn't played 10 games for last season, but FWF did the research and came up with an average for his last 10 games.

Not going to make a controversy out of it, but we're in the process of establishing rules here and didn't think of that loophole.  Rather than taking advantage of it, let's iron it out before the season starts.

On a similar note, I hold the All Time NCAA 3 Point FG% title...absolute truth
Well, if those are the rules in the OP I suggest no exceptions and take Gilbert out of the equation entirely.

« Reply #2822 on: October 27, 2009, 03:37:30 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3768
  • Yup
Whoa....hold on there. I don't see why Arenas has to be sent back to 17.4 points. He had an average last year and it was 13 points. He's an established NBA player who had an established average last year of 13 points. Why, because I was smart enough to find a bit of a loophole in the system, am I going to be punished by some new rule because people didn't see this?

His average last year was 13 points. That should be his average until 10 games into the season.

Nick,  Being that we're waiting for 10 games this season to establish averages for guys, I think it's not big of a stretch to assume we'd be looking for 10 games from last year to establish an average for a guy.  I hadn't thought of the "loophole" but it's definitely not in the spirit of the game.  I was inclined to say "no"  to anyone who hadn't played 10 games for last season, but FWF did the research and came up with an average for his last 10 games.

Not going to make a controversy out of it, but we're in the process of establishing rules here and didn't think of that loophole.  Rather than taking advantage of it, let's iron it out before the season starts.

On a similar note, I hold the All Time NCAA 3 Point FG% title...absolute truth
Well, if those are the rules in the OP I suggest no exceptions and take Gilbert out of the equation entirely.

That's what I was thinking (just for simplicity's sake), but since it was out there, and I like the idea of the "Gilbert Exception" let's grandfather it in and make Gilbert 17.4 the pick. 

Appendix to the rules

From here on anyone who has played less than 10 games last year(besides Gilbert) is not eligible until he has established a 10 game average for this season. 
Yup

« Reply #2823 on: October 27, 2009, 03:38:04 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Not sure what to say on Gilbert, since he didn't establish an average last year by our 10 game rule.  I'm thinking he shouldn't be allowed until he established an average this year.

I looked up the last 2 years - his most recent 10 games he averaged 17.4 ppg.  I think that'd be fair, though it might be a pain to remember it til he logs 10 games this year.

Yeh, I guess that works.  Thanks for looking it up.  We'll call it the Gilbert Rule...I can't imagine there are too many other case like this.  So lets just remember 17.4 for Gilbert.

I agree, there's a lack of good, original and telling nicknames in this day in age.

The Truth, The Answer, The Matrix, The Big Ticket, The Big Aristodle. All classic nicknames. Now we have crap like D12 and CB4. Add The Exception to the list of good nicknames.

Personally, I always thought it was a little stupid. It's along the same lines as D12 and CB4. It's his number, but then inplace of his initials, it's a random, stupid word like it was a graffiti tag or xbox live name or something.
I agree that all those nicknames are dumb, although I've always been a fan of AK-47.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #2824 on: October 27, 2009, 03:40:08 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Don't forget "Plastic Man" Stacey Augmon!

I wish Barkley's nickname for Duncan had caught on: Groundhog Day.  Every game, over and over, 20 and 11, 19 and 12, 22 and 13.  Just perfect.  

« Reply #2825 on: October 27, 2009, 03:42:15 PM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Word aapp!

I agree that all those nicknames are dumb, although I've always been a fan of AK-47.

See, I like that one because it's more than just initials and numbers. He's russian, and the AK-47 was made in Russia, too. Back when Andrei was at the top of his game he could do everything, much like the gun. Automatic, semi, burst fire, not to meantion how reliable the gun is, as was Andrei in his first few years.

« Reply #2826 on: October 27, 2009, 03:42:34 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Don't forget "Plastic Man" Stacey Augmon!

I wish Barkley's nickname for Duncan had caught on: Groundhog Day.  Every game, over and over, 20 and 11, 19 and 12, 22 and 13.  Just perfect.  
Always loved Barkley's Round Mound of Rebound

« Reply #2827 on: October 27, 2009, 03:43:23 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
10/27
Redz - Eddie House, Celts: 8.5
ACF - Rasheed Wallace, Celts: 12.0
Lon3lytoaster - Trevor Ariza, Rockets: 8.9
??nickagneta - Gilbert Arenas, Wizards: 17.4??
Rondo2287 - Rondo, Celtics: 11.9
fairweatherfan - Shawn Marion, 12.9
Atzar - Greg Oden, 8.9
Kwhit10 - Aaron Brooks, 11.2
MGent - Kevin Garnett 15.8
Philly:

« Reply #2828 on: October 27, 2009, 03:43:25 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Revised rules (can also be viewed on page 1)

Rules of this game:

1) Pick a player who has played in at least 10 games this season

2) Post said player along with your name, the players team, the players average (according to ESPN.com and ONLY ESPN.com)...like such:  Joe Blow, Bobcats: 10.5

3) Picks are due by tipoff of the days first game (late picks will not count, regardless of whether the game involved is after the deadline or not)

4) If you pick a player from that night's Celtics opponent's roster for you must put your pick in pink font, like such:  Joe Blow, Bobcats: 10.5

4-L) Lakers picks will labeled in purple and gold to display your obvious love for the enemy...like so:  Kobe Poopyhead, Fakers (or other derogatory name) etc..

5) You may change your pick at any time prior to the daily deadline but in such case you must also put your pick in pink font...If the player you have switched is a Celtics opponent as well maybe you can put it in bold too  ;)

6) The player who scores the most points over his average wins the game for the person who selected him.  The winner is awarded an amount of Tommy Points equal to that days participants (by a Moderator) for that days game.  If there are more than 12 participants the winnings will rounded up to 2/3 for 1st place and 1/3 for 2nd place.  We will only carry the averages 1 decimal, so there is the potential of a tie.  Both participants will receive full amounts of TPs in case of tie.

7) The Doody Prize: 1 Tommy Point will also be awarded for the participant whose player has the worst score without recording a DNP.

8 ) Anyone can start a new game for any day that there are games on the NBA schedule.  Picks may be submitted no sooner than midnight Boston time for that days games. As long as there are a minimum of 2 participants - it's GAME ON!

9) START OF SEASON...EXCEPTIONS etc...
We will use ESPN's averages from the previous season until a player has established a 10 game average for the current season.  Anyone who has played less than 10 games the previous season (with the EXCEPTION of Gilbert Arenas who will be assigned a 17.4 average for 2008-2009) is not eligible until he has established a 10 game average for the current season. 
Yup

« Reply #2829 on: October 27, 2009, 04:04:52 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
Whoops, I didn't read the rules carefully enough.

Kevin Garnett plays for the Boston Celtics.
Philly:

« Reply #2830 on: October 27, 2009, 04:12:12 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Whoops, I didn't read the rules carefully enough.

Kevin Garnett plays for the Boston Celtics.

Yup

« Reply #2831 on: October 27, 2009, 05:42:22 PM »

Offline silvershamrocker

• Jaylen Brown
  • Believe In The Sleeve
10/27
??nickagneta - Gilbert Arenas, Wizards: 17.4??
fairweatherfan - Shawn Marion, Mavs: 12.9
Atzar - Greg Oden, Blazers: 8.9
Kwhit10 - Aaron Brooks, Rockets: 11.2
MGent - Kevin Garnett, Celtics: 15.8
silvershamrocker - Dirk Nowitzki, Mavs: 25.9
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 05:44:58 PM by Redz »

"It will be fun watching the Lakers get those balloons down one at a time." - Bill Russell

« Reply #2832 on: October 27, 2009, 06:52:37 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
10/27
nickagneta - Gilbert Arenas, Wizards: 17.4
fairweatherfan - Shawn Marion, Mavs: 12.9
Atzar - Greg Oden, Blazers: 8.9
Kwhit10 - Aaron Brooks, Rockets: 11.2
MGent - Kevin Garnett, Celtics: 15.8
silvershamrocker - Dirk Nowitzki, Mavs: 25.9
Rebus Rankin: Eric Gordon, Clippers: 16.1
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 07:25:37 PM by Redz »

« Reply #2833 on: October 27, 2009, 07:24:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Just so that the question marks can disappear, I'll stick with Gilbert as I expect him to be a huge ball hog shooting idiot trying to prove that he is once again BACK. I expect an easy 40 out of Arenas tonight.

Funny though that I think Gilbert being Gilbert is actually a bad thing for that team, but I am probably in the minority in that stance.

« Reply #2834 on: October 27, 2009, 07:26:35 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
Just so that the question marks can disappear, I'll stick with Gilbert as I expect him to be a huge ball hog shooting idiot trying to prove that he is once again BACK. I expect an easy 40 out of Arenas tonight.

Funny though that I think Gilbert being Gilbert is actually a bad thing for that team, but I am probably in the minority in that stance.

Erased the question marks.  Not sure who put them there, but hadn't seen em.  Gilbert is yours and I love the Gilbert exception rule.
Yup