Author Topic: Should we be concerned about Kemba’s knee?  (Read 4644 times)

Should we be concerned about Kemba’s knee?
« on: July 17, 2020, 10:23:23 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Boston Celtics guard Kemba Walker admitted he is "pretty frustrated" to still be dealing with a left knee issue four months after the season was suspended March 11, but he said he remains optimistic it will improve in time for the playoffs.

"It's definitely pretty frustrating, just because I'm not a guy who misses many games, especially throughout the course of my career," Walker said after practicing with the Celtics on Thursday night in Florida. "I'm not really concerned much, honestly, because I'm trending upwards and I'm getting better and I'm getting closer to a return.

"So, yeah, I'm fine. And I'll be back better than ever, I think."
Walker's status has been a topic of discussion since the Celtics started practice inside the NBA bubble at Walt Disney World Resort last week. At the time, coach Brad Stevens said Walker felt "discomfort" in his knee during individual workouts in Boston before flying to Orlando, Florida, with the team.

When asked to describe it, Walker said he felt pain in the knee, which bothered him for an extended period in February and March before the shutdown -- particularly after he logged heavy minutes in the NBA All-Star Game in Chicago.

In the four games Walker played after the All-Star break and before the shutdown, he shot 18-for-59 (30.7 percent) from the floor and just 9-for-36 (25%) from 3-point range.

"It was definitely a pain," he said of the knee. "I can't really explain it, but it was a pain on the side of my knee that was bothering me. I don't know how much else I can say. Throughout my career, I haven't missed many games, and I've been able to play through a lot. It was bothering me, so that was the best choice for me to make, was to sit out.

"Like I said, this is not normal for me, being out like this, but the smart way to go about things because I want to be at my best for my teammates and this organization when the regular season comes around and most definitely in the playoffs."

Walker, who turned 30 in May and has averaged 21.2 points, 4.1 rebounds and 4.9 assists in his first season in Boston, told the media July 1 that the time off "definitely helped me get back to myself and start to feel comfortable on my knee."

He didn't practice Sunday or Monday, worked out Tuesday and then didn't practice Wednesday before taking part in portions of Boston's practice Thursday.

Stevens said last week that Walker would be slowly ramped up over next few weeks and will be on a minutes-restriction plan for the eight seeding games in order to be ready for the playoffs next month.

"The plan is not to [be on a minutes limit by the time the playoffs start]," Walker said. "But I'm feeling good. I'm really just taking it one day at a time right now, just being smart, being cautious for the most part. I'm feeling really good, so we're just taking it slowly."

I’ve gotta say, if there’s an issue four months later, I’m concerned.  Would surgery have been a better option, assuming he could have gotten it scheduled?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Should we be concerned about Kemba’s knee?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 10:44:44 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Definitely a concern.

4 months without game action, should have been on a PT/rehab schedule instead of the grind of NBA games. If that wasn’t enough time to get him right (and not still be talking about how bothersome it is), then I have very little hope he will be anywhere close to 100% for the playoffs.

At this point it would not surprise me one bit if he winds up missing a large chunk of time and/or gets shut down.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 01:01:04 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Concerned yes, but i'm not yet panicking. Its possible this is all just very cautionary.

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 01:18:08 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Yes, very concern!!! Been off 4 month and still bothering him
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 01:35:25 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
And this is also why I hate seeing Celtics players participate in meaningless all-star games. Preserve your energy in events like that, and be extra competitive in the regular season.

Now look at Kemba, knee is still a concern even with 4 months off.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 01:46:32 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
We definitely should be concerned. Four months ago we were told that this wasn't a "significant" injury and that there was nothing to be too concerned about ... yet here we are, still talking about it, still legitimately wondering whether Walker we be able to do his thing the remainder of this season.

In moving from Kyrie to Kemba, it seemed like we were trading a glass man for an iron man, but that might not be the case after all.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 02:50:56 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Yep - If it isn't feeling better after all this rest, how exactly is it supposed to improve with more activity ? Also, I don't understand all this head scratching. Surely, this is easy enough to have whatever scans are needed and see what is wrong. It's either ligament damage, meniscus tear or some type of arthritic joint condition from so many games/minutes played. Just great, Kemba is an "iron man" until he comes to Boston and now all the miles catch up with him. The Bias curse still in effect.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 09:55:28 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
The discomfort and there also being a minute restriction doesnt sit well with me. I would shut him down. That contract is too massive to allow him to become permanently damaged. Let Smart start with Walker Wanna and Langford getting more PT.

Edit meant Wanna not Walker
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 11:06:55 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 10:36:26 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
The discomfort and there also being a minute restriction doesnt sit well with me. I would shut him down. That contract is too massive to allow him to become permanently damaged. Let Smart start with Walker and Langford getting more PT.

You mean Smart with Brown, right?

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 10:37:29 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
The discomfort and there also being a minute restriction doesnt sit well with me. I would shut him down. That contract is too massive to allow him to become permanently damaged. Let Smart start with Walker and Langford getting more PT.

I imagine they know that playing him is not introducing a significant risk to his long-term health. What would shutting him down do exactly? He was shut down for months with the covid lockdown and he got worse.

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 10:41:53 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I imagine they know that playing him is not introducing a significant risk to his long-term health. What would shutting him down do exactly? He was shut down for months with the covid lockdown and he got worse.

I imagine his minutes restriction will mostly go away once the playoffs actually start. This is not to say he doesn't have pain, but why else sign a guy to a massive max contract if he isn't going to play at the most important time of year?

If he simply can't play and/or needs urgent surgery, then of course, shut him down; otherwise, I will take all of the Kemba I can get. They can re-assess the situation in the actual offseason. I'd rather he miss the first two months of next season than the playoffs this one.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 07:35:30 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2020, 11:02:15 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Sounds bad. He'll probably be impaired for the playoffs. That will sink the team's chances of making the Finals.

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2020, 11:05:29 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

You mean Smart with Brown, right?
Sorry meant Wanna as back up guards depth chart
PG-Smart, Wanna.
SG-Brown, Langford.

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2020, 11:08:56 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

For surgery and/or rehab. Story spin is he wasn't able to rehab with the lock down. So I say shut it down. And after KG and IT don't have faith they know when to tell players no.

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2020, 07:02:11 PM »

Offline TDurden

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Absolutely no reason to be concerned about Kemba.  The Celtics have 2 young point guards who could replace 80% of what he does.