Author Topic: Celtics Regular Season News  (Read 121374 times)

Re: Celtics Regular Season News
« Reply #465 on: February 28, 2024, 11:36:30 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991
This is awesome news.

The Athletic NBA

@TheAthleticNBA
Jrue Holiday is expected to be among the 12 members of Team USA’s roster for the 2024 Olympics, sources tell
@ShamsCharania

and
@joevardon

Team officials have valued Holiday’s two-way ability, point-of-attack defense and dynamic playmaking.

I assume Tatum will be as well.  Hopefully that means we have two Celtics in the Olympics (crossing fingers that Jrue returns).

And I know Porzingis will go if Latvia qualifies, but I’d like him in bubble wrap all summer.

« Reply #466 on: February 28, 2024, 11:38:40 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
This is awesome news.

The Athletic NBA

@TheAthleticNBA
Jrue Holiday is expected to be among the 12 members of Team USA’s roster for the 2024 Olympics, sources tell
@ShamsCharania

and
@joevardon

Team officials have valued Holiday’s two-way ability, point-of-attack defense and dynamic playmaking.

Love Jrue but this would kind of shock me, given all the big names who have said they wanted to be on this team.

« Reply #467 on: February 28, 2024, 12:21:15 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 684
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I think USA basketball is giving some spots to the guys that played in the last Olympics (KD, Tatum, Jrue, Bam, Booker, Dame) because they answered the bell when a lot of the other stars said no.

« Reply #468 on: February 28, 2024, 12:45:15 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25616
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This is awesome news.

The Athletic NBA

@TheAthleticNBA
@ShamsCharania

and
@joevardon

I assume Tatum will be as well.  Hopefully that means we have two Celtics in the Olympics (crossing fingers that Jrue returns).

And I know Porzingis will go if Latvia qualifies, but I’d like him in bubble wrap all summer.

Yeah, Tatum is considered a "lock".

Holiday would join several superstar players who are considered locks for the Paris Games, barring injury, including Durant, LeBron James, Stephen Curry, Joel Embiid and Jayson Tatum. 12 mins ago – via The Athletic

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #469 on: February 28, 2024, 02:40:49 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
This is awesome news.

The Athletic NBA

@TheAthleticNBA
@ShamsCharania

and
@joevardon

Yeah, Tatum is considered a "lock".

Holiday would join several superstar players who are considered locks for the Paris Games, barring injury, including Durant, LeBron James, Stephen Curry, Joel Embiid and Jayson Tatum. 12 mins ago – via The Athletic

Man I got to give Lebron props for playing in the olympics at his age.

« Reply #470 on: February 29, 2024, 08:09:44 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be
HOOPS EMPIRE
@HoopsEmpire_
The 2023-24 Celtics point margin frequencies:

- Losing (by any amount): 24.03%
- Winning by double-digits: 32.86%
- Winning by 20+: 12.45%

The Celtics have been up by double-digits more often then they have trailed in a game this season.

No other team has been up 20+ more than 10% of the time.

No other team has been up by 10+ more than they have been losing.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #471 on: February 29, 2024, 03:12:44 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3768
  • Yup
HOOPS EMPIRE
@HoopsEmpire_

The Celtics have been up by double-digits more often then they have trailed in a game this season.

If they win a title they have the opportunity to be looked at as one of the great teams for sure.

I'd just love to see them clicking in the playoffs like they have all season.  I think they know they have something special and will have a good approach.

We shall see.
Yup

« Reply #472 on: February 29, 2024, 03:21:55 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
HOOPS EMPIRE
@HoopsEmpire_

If they win a title they have the opportunity to be looked at as one of the great teams for sure.

I'd just love to see them clicking in the playoffs like they have all season.  I think they know they have something special and will have a good approach.

We shall see.

They're winning the title.

*if healthy

« Reply #473 on: March 02, 2024, 01:06:46 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3016
  • On To Banner 18!
The funny thing with Porzingis is that, his 3-point attempts aren't even like corner 3s or right behind the arc, the dude just stands a good 5 feet behind the line and still chucks it up. If he wanted to hoist one from the logo he probably could too.

Having a 7' 2" guy who can just casually drill 35-foot 3-pointers is something  :laugh:

I didn't realize Porzingis could do that. I knew he could shoot 3s but I had just figured it was by design (open 3s in the corner or from a quick pick-and-roll pass where a guard draws two defenders).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 01:11:53 PM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #474 on: March 02, 2024, 02:54:01 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Marc makes a decent point here.

Marc D'Amico
@Marc_DAmico
So let me get this straight: if Tatum scores 30+, ignites his team to pull away and blows out another MVP candidate, it’s meaningless bc he’s on a great team.

But if he scored 30+ and his team got blown out by another MVP candidate it would be his fault and a giant detriment to his MVP candidacy.

Make it make sense.

« Reply #475 on: March 02, 2024, 03:53:07 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Marc makes a decent point here.

Marc D'Amico
@Marc_DAmico
So let me get this straight: if Tatum scores 30+, ignites his team to pull away and blows out another MVP candidate, it’s meaningless bc he’s on a great team.

But if he scored 30+ and his team got blown out by another MVP candidate it would be his fault and a giant detriment to his MVP candidacy.

Make it make sense.

Like the MLB MVP race, stats/analytics weigh too heavily in the discussion. Analytics are decent measurement tools, but not to be weighed over wins.

In the MLB, the leader in WAR is almost automatically the MVP. In the NBA, it’s whichever analytic metric preferred. When that’s close, prop your guy up by piling on the perceived quality of his teammates.

The Most Valuable Player in a season wins the most (with slight room for stats and context). The stats might align with that stance or not, but that shouldn’t outweigh the winning part of it.

Any metric that values Daniel Gafford in the same stratosphere as Bam Adebayo should not be relied upon for who’s more valuable.

Amar’e Stoudemire was statistically better than Steve Nash in 04-05, but with today’s stance, Amar’e would’ve been the MVP.

« Reply #476 on: March 02, 2024, 10:20:20 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Bobby Manning
Bobby Manning @RealBobManning
about 3 hours ago
Bummer to see Neemias Queta hurt again (knee hyper extension). He’s inactive at Wisconsin tonight.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #477 on: March 04, 2024, 10:12:04 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3016
  • On To Banner 18!
Celtics magic number to clinch a playoff spot is 7. They already have clinched a play-in spot. Magic number for the East 1 seed is 14
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #478 on: March 04, 2024, 10:53:40 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991
Celtics magic number to clinch a playoff spot is 7. They already have clinched a play-in spot. Magic number for the East 1 seed is 14

There’s a real chance they could clinch a playoff spot during this road trip.

« Reply #479 on: March 04, 2024, 08:52:43 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Al Horford just became the 6th player in NBA history to record at least 14,000 points, 8,400 rebounds, 3,400 assists, and 1,200 blocks in a career, joining Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Pau Gasol, and Dirk Nowitzki.”