Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 417601 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #255 on: June 04, 2013, 01:59:34 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I've felt for a long time that Jon Snow is destined to be with Danaerys.  Just makes too much sense with her being the mother of dragons and his last name being Snow.
The argument someone made a couple pages ago that Jon Snow is Danaerys nephew is pretty compelling... though I guess that wouldn't necessarily throw out the possibility in this world.
there are a lot of theories floating around the internet.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #256 on: June 04, 2013, 02:05:30 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I've felt for a long time that Jon Snow is destined to be with Danaerys.  Just makes too much sense with her being the mother of dragons and his last name being Snow.
The argument someone made a couple pages ago that Jon Snow is Danaerys nephew is pretty compelling... though I guess that wouldn't necessarily throw out the possibility in this world.
That would make sense. The book kind of intimated that Ned Stark wouldn't talk about the other woman because he was embarrassed he cheated. It would make a lot more sense if he didn't talk about her because doing so would be admitting to treason (having an affair with a royal member of a family you were at war with).

However after the Red God was behind a shadow baby, bringing a dude back to life multiple times and the dragons returning if he says that Stannis is going to be king, I am not one to deny him.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #257 on: June 04, 2013, 02:15:39 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
That would make sense. The book kind of intimated that Ned Stark wouldn't talk about the other woman because he was embarrassed he cheated. It would make a lot more sense if he didn't talk about her because doing so would be admitting to treason (having an affair with a royal member of a family you were at war with).

However after the Red God was behind a shadow baby, bringing a dude back to life multiple times and the dragons returning if he says that Stannis is going to be king, I am not one to deny him.
The theory also works as a reason for The Mad King killing Ned's sister.

« Reply #258 on: June 04, 2013, 02:18:52 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Hmmm, have you read any other good theories?

« Reply #259 on: June 04, 2013, 02:31:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

The theory isn't that Ned had an affair at all.  The theory is that Rhaegar Targaryen either abducted Lyanna Stark (or she went willingly) after the tourney at Harrenhal and that they had a child in secret and on Lyanna's deathbed Ned promised to protect the child and keep him safe from anyone that would want the child dead.  Thus, Jon Snow is a **** and is half a Stark, the half Stark is just his mother not his father.

« Reply #260 on: June 04, 2013, 02:40:06 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

The theory isn't that Ned had an affair at all.  The theory is that Rhaegar Targaryen either abducted Lyanna Stark (or she went willingly) after the tourney at Harrenhal and that they had a child in secret and on Lyanna's deathbed Ned promised to protect the child and keep him safe from anyone that would want the child dead.  Thus, Jon Snow is a **** and is half a Stark, the half Stark is just his mother not his father.

This is what I've always believed. Very in-line with Ned's character as well, and fits with Rhaegar's behavior patterns, as well as Ned's.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #261 on: June 04, 2013, 02:58:12 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

If you read the wiki on "Robert's Rebellion", it makes a ton of sense:

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Robert%27s_Rebellion

Aerys Targaryen, the Second of His Name, was the King of the Seven Kingdoms and the last member of House Targaryen to sit the Iron Throne. Nicknamed the Mad King, his reign became increasingly erratic and murderous. As a result, tensions between House Targaryen and several other Great Houses began to rise. A final round of blood-letting, unleashed when his son Prince Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna Stark of Winterfell, saw many Houses in the realm rebel against his rule.[2][3]

It's basically what started the whole war... it does make sense that Aerys Targaryen would have raped Eddard's sister (Lyanna) and perhaps she gave birth to Jon Snow... and Eddard refused to talk about who the mother was... or that the bastahd was a Targaryen.  They were killing all of the Targaryens... the baby would have been murdered.  Makes total and complete sense... Also Eddard was too moral to have cheated on his wife.  Dude was all about morals.

And now I'm sad I know about it, because I feel like it spoils the rest of the series.  Lol.  Makes sense why they keep focusing on Jon Snow... methinks he's going to become King some day... or at least have a solid claim to the throne.  I'm guessing Daenys taking the throne at some point is a given.. but when she inevitably dies (which happens to everyone in this [dang] show)... Snow might be the closest left to a Targaryen and might have a claim to the throne.  Seems logical.

« Reply #262 on: June 04, 2013, 03:00:40 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

This is what I've always believed. Very in-line with Ned's character as well, and fits with Rhaegar's behavior patterns, as well as Ned's.
Right and it also means that with his Stark warg characteristics and his half Targs blood that he could "ride" a dragon and be the person to defeat the Others/White Walkers.

« Reply #263 on: June 04, 2013, 03:10:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Aerys Targaryen, the Second of His Name, was the King of the Seven Kingdoms and the last member of House Targaryen to sit the Iron Throne. Nicknamed the Mad King, his reign became increasingly erratic and murderous. As a result, tensions between House Targaryen and several other Great Houses began to rise. A final round of blood-letting, unleashed when his son Prince Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna Stark of Winterfell, saw many Houses in the realm rebel against his rule.[2][3]

It's basically what started the whole war... it does make sense that Aerys Targaryen would have raped Eddard's sister (Lyanna) and perhaps she gave birth to Jon Snow... and Eddard refused to talk about who the mother was... or that the bastahd was a Targaryen.  They were killing all of the Targaryens... the baby would have been murdered.  Makes total and complete sense... Also Eddard was too moral to have cheated on his wife.  Dude was all about morals.

And now I'm sad I know about it, because I feel like it spoils the rest of the series.  Lol.  Makes sense why they keep focusing on Jon Snow... methinks he's going to become King some day... or at least have a solid claim to the throne.  I'm guessing Daenys taking the throne at some point is a given.. but when she inevitably dies (which happens to everyone in this [dang] show)... Snow might be the closest left to a Targaryen and might have a claim to the throne.  Seems logical.
Not Aerys, Rhaegar (dany's older brother and the heir to the throne).  Who at the tourney at Harrenhal fell for Lyanna's beauty.  There is a lot of disagreement about whether she was abducted or went willingly as Rhaegar was quite smashing on the eyes.  Of course that also ruined Rhaegar's plans to usurp the throne from his father by starting the rebellion.  Had Aerys not killed Rickard and Brandon Stark, there would be no rebellion and Rhaegar would have forced his crazy dad out.

« Reply #264 on: June 04, 2013, 03:12:58 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Not Aerys, Rhaegar (dany's older brother and the heir to the throne).  Who at the tourney at Harrenhal fell for Lyanna's beauty.  There is a lot of disagreement about whether she was abducted or went willingly as Rhaegar was quite smashing on the eyes.  Of course that also ruined Rhaegar's plans to usurp the throne from his father by starting the rebellion.  Had Aerys not killed Rickard and Brandon Stark, there would be no rebellion and Rhaegar would have forced his crazy dad out.
Even if this is true I'm curious about how these events would come to light. SInce pretty much all of the characters involved in this are now long dead.

« Reply #265 on: June 04, 2013, 03:19:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Even if this is true I'm curious about how these events would come to light. SInce pretty much all of the characters involved in this are now long dead.
Barristan Selmy would know as he was close to Rhaegar. Being head of the Kingsguard, he was also a man who knew and held many secrets and if he knew this one, would probably have never uttered a word as the King he was protecting after the war, Robert Baratheon, loved Lyanna.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 03:46:26 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #266 on: June 04, 2013, 04:08:55 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Yeah that's what I meant.  That was a typo. 

Anyways... great show.  I'm pumped. 

« Reply #267 on: June 04, 2013, 04:15:56 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
My first question: does this thread contain spoilers from the book beyond where we're at in the show?

My second question: has there ever been a more jaw-dropping, heartbreaking moment in TV history than the Red Wedding? Hard to imagine if so.

Incredible show.

« Reply #268 on: June 04, 2013, 04:22:01 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
My first question: does this thread contain spoilers from the book beyond where we're at in the show?

My second question: has there ever been a more jaw-dropping, heartbreaking moment in TV history than the Red Wedding? Hard to imagine if so.

Incredible show.
Yes there are some spoilers so I would review with care.

« Reply #269 on: June 04, 2013, 04:23:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Barristan Selmy would know as he was close to Rhaegar. Being head of the Kingsguard, he was also a man who knew and held many secrets and if he knew this one, would probably have never uttered a word as the King he was protecting after the war, Robert Baratheon, loved Lyanna.
He might know.  I think someone like Varys, the Maester's, and people of that ilk, probably know a lot of this.  Especially Varys.