Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 417694 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #225 on: June 03, 2013, 07:51:30 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
While its very tragic, am I the only one here who thinks "Robb had this coming, and brought everyone he loves in to doom"?
Robb Stark was immature and young and was playing the Game of Thrones versus an expert, Tywin Lannister. When you step back and look at the situation, I think it is easier to say that Robb just made mistakes that youth make, not that he deserved what happened.

Well, I just thought that he was dishonorable in breaking the vow he made to House Frey, right? That dishonorable thing led to the massacre. It was a mistake alright, but a mistake that could have been avoided.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #226 on: June 03, 2013, 07:54:59 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
While its very tragic, am I the only one here who thinks "Robb had this coming, and brought everyone he loves in to doom"?

I didn't like him either, he broke his oath and word.   His father would not have done that.  But everyone he loves doom, nay, Brandon and his brother Rickon, Arya and Sansa and Jon yet live.

« Reply #227 on: June 03, 2013, 07:55:55 PM »

Offline ianboyextreme

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I haven't read the books, but honestly I never got the impression Robb Stark was a main character.  He seemed far less important than Arya, Brann

He was not, he was not a narrator character.  Hint the point of views ( narrators) are the important ones as I see it.

Keep in mind the prophecy of the land, which the series has only hinted at through Melisandre

"There will come a day after a long summer when the stars bleed and the cold breath of darkness falls heavy on the world. In this dread hour a warrior shall draw from the fire a burning sword. And that sword shall be Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes, and he who clasps it shall be Azor Ahai come again, and the darkness shall flee before him."

and this

Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone

Melisandre thinks it is Stannis.   A lot of folk think this means Daeneyrs and some think it is Jon.   But the prophecy in the book implies a rebirth of some type.  Jon may well be a Targaryen as well.   Recall he is a **** but we never know the circumstances.  Some think  Rhaegar Targaryen is the father and Lyanna Stark was his mother and Ned raised him as his own.  That would make Daenyrs his aunt.

Rob never was a main character.   This is loosely based off the war or roses.   The Lancasters vs York was that fight here we have the Lannisters and Starks.  But all this war between the family is action that is not as important as the prophecy and the Others.

Whomever fulfills this is the most important character.
That's interesting about Jon Snow.  I listened to a podcast with the show runners and they were talking about their first meeting with G.R.R Martin.  Martin wanted to test them on whether or not they were actually fans and had read the books... so his question to them was "Who is Jon Snow's real mother?"... apparently it was a bit of a trick question, because the books had not yet revealed who his real mother was... but they apparently guessed correctly based on some hunches.  So I've been aware that there is some mystery as to who his real mother is... and I had to assume it was a Targaryen otherwise it wouldn't be all that compelling.  But I hadn't considered the possibility that Eddard isn't his real father.  Interesting.  But that does make sense... I had read on the wiki that part of the lead-up to the rebellion was that Rhager Targaryen had abducted Eddard's sister. 

Probably don't say any more on that... seems like book spoiler territory.
There are a lot of incredible theories in game of thrones.

Pretty complicated stuff so I wont delve into it here but if any of yall are really into the books and theories you should head over to "a forum of ice and fire". Dont do that if you have not read the books, though, as stuff will definitely be spoilt.

I really love the next book because it really delves into a lot of the mystery and unexplained in Westeros.

The Dunk and Egg stories are also excellent short stories based about 100 years before the current game of thrones events that are a nice reprieve from the intense heartbreak of the main books while also revealing some mysterious prophecy stuff.

« Reply #228 on: June 03, 2013, 08:07:45 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
The reaction compilation video to last night's episode is priceless: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78juOpTM3tE

« Reply #229 on: June 03, 2013, 08:26:35 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
The reaction compilation video to last night's episode is priceless: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78juOpTM3tE

How about this reaction?

http://youtu.be/QKqF8lg_M7A
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #230 on: June 03, 2013, 09:00:23 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
haven't read the books.

couldn't believe that episode -- never saw it coming.  for that matter, didn't see Ned getting it either.  unbelievable.  had a feeling something was going to happen --  that all would not be easily forgiven -- but didn't see that coming.  man I hate the Lannisters (except Tyrion)

« Reply #231 on: June 03, 2013, 09:51:37 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Oh I guess last night was a bit of a surprise for book readers as well.  I just found out that in the books Robb's wife is a completely different character with a different name... She's never pregnant and she isn't even at the wedding in the books.  She's just a minor character who doesn't do much.  So the whole baby-stabbing thing was a little extra TV carnage.

« Reply #232 on: June 03, 2013, 10:03:28 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Oh I guess last night was a bit of a surprise for book readers as well.  I just found out that in the books Robb's wife is a completely different character with a different name... She's never pregnant and she isn't even at the wedding in the books.  She's just a minor character who doesn't do much.  So the whole baby-stabbing thing was a little extra TV carnage.
I am pretty sure she was there but she was not killed and you don't know if she was pregnant.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #233 on: June 03, 2013, 10:09:17 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I am pretty sure she was there but she was not killed and you don't know if she was pregnant.
I thought she was killed can't remember if she was pregnant.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #234 on: June 03, 2013, 10:40:48 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
She wasn't.  I looked it up.  She's not an important character... Otherwise her son/daughter could have been a factor and killing her off on the tv show would have been an issue

« Reply #235 on: June 03, 2013, 10:51:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Yeah Robb left his wife behind under the advice from the Blackfish and Catelyn that her presence would upset Frey and cause problems.

« Reply #236 on: June 03, 2013, 11:28:56 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
haven't read the books.

couldn't believe that episode -- never saw it coming.  for that matter, didn't see Ned getting it either.  unbelievable.  had a feeling something was going to happen --  that all would not be easily forgiven -- but didn't see that coming.  man I hate the Lannisters (except Tyrion)
Same here.  Agree on everything you said.  From the first season the Starks were portrayed as the noble protagonists, and it's just strange to me that they keep getting killed off.  Ned's killing was a complete surprise to me too.

« Reply #237 on: June 03, 2013, 11:38:29 PM »

Offline syfy9

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • We may as well put Tyrion in at center.
Could someone do me a solid - I just acquired Storm of Swords, and I'm not a fan of repetitive reading/watching.

I found a good place to start - right before the Red Wedding.

What are some of the most important plots that are in the book that were not in the show that I should know about? Just a quick "there's him, and he does that" kinda thing.
I like Marcus Smart

« Reply #238 on: June 03, 2013, 11:43:49 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Could someone do me a solid - I just acquired Storm of Swords, and I'm not a fan of repetitive reading/watching.

What are some of the most important plots that are in the book that were not in the show that I should know about? Just a quick "there's him, and he does that" kinda thing.
That's probably a bad idea and I haven't read the books, but here is my suggestion.... Just start reading and if you come to a character you are unfamiliar with, pull up one of the game of thrones dedicated wiki pages.  They usually have breakdowns of who they are and everything they do in each book.  Just don't skip ahead. That's basically what I do when watching the show and I hear a name I'm unfamiliar with.

« Reply #239 on: June 03, 2013, 11:47:52 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210

I don't think I could go through all the stuff not in the tv series but I think every plot line is in there, just with a lot of stuff condensed.

I will say, my biggest disappointment with the HBO version is that they left out the best character in the series, Strong Belwas, the pit fighter.  I was looking forward so seeing the actor cast as him since season 1 and he just got written out even through he plays a constant role in Daneryes story line.