Author Topic: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions  (Read 456186 times)

Re: Open Thread on Rules/Restrictions
« Reply #720 on: March 13, 2011, 10:53:07 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Bakhu if you have the desire I'd totally read your post wherever you put it....like um...maybe the seen the light thread....or off topic...or something like that

« Reply #721 on: March 13, 2011, 11:22:48 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
People who don't feel scheduling a drunk is cool aren't holier than thou.

They need to be heard from.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #722 on: March 13, 2011, 12:33:40 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Bahku, I'm glad you learned a lesson, but this post seems more appropriate for a "check in here if you've seen the light" thread.  I'm past the point in my life of getting drunk and feeling like it's a badge of honor to do so too. But if someone's enjoying a good buzz and wants to let us know about it, they probably aren't going to be too receptive to hearing about the evils of alcohol.  I don't think we're looking "room spinning" drunks in this thread.  They're clearly coherent enough to express themselves and find the "post" button etc....

If you're intent was not to come across as "holier than thou" I'm not sure you succeeded.  

I don't want to make a big stink about it. I just think sometimes things are best left unsaid (or said in a different place perhaps).

It was meant as a funny story about an experience I had in my youth, and a lesson learned, and done tongue-in-cheek and with humor. I never EVER express myself in a way that's meant as "holier than thou", (in fact, I'm probably one of the most self-deprecating people on this blog), as I made it very clear that I have my own demons, (which are much worse, by the way).

I shared a unpleasant experience in order to give others a chuckle or maybe a little insight into the struggles of youth, and you somehow found offense in it. You took something I meant as a humorous story, and turned it into me making some sort of social statement that I've "seen the light", yet I know you're intelligent enough to know what my real intent was.

Whatever ... I'll remove my post, as I obviously am not capable of expressing myself in the way I intend to, but it stinks when people can't accept a story for what it is, and have to take it apart for the sake of knocking the author down a peg. I honestly don't see any positive purpose for your reply here, other than trying to make what I was sharing into something to criticize me with.

I guess you feel that I don't qualify for posting in this thread, so I'll refrain from doing so from now on. Lesson learned ... but I'm surprised this came from you. Funny, but when someone claims they "don't want to make a big stink" about something, is usually the best indication that they really do.

Maybe you're right.  It just struck me the wrong way and seemed sort of preachy.  Usually I'm much better at following my own advice and saying nothing.  

...and yes, given the tone, I did miss the humor in it.  It was an event that you said prevented you from ever feeling that way again.  I'd say that's serious.
Yup

« Reply #723 on: March 13, 2011, 03:25:07 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I don't think anybody said they couldn't be.  However, I think Redz' point is that moralizing about drinking -- while appropriate -- might not be appropriate in this thread.  Basically, coming into a thread populated by a bunch of drinkers and sharing a story about the perils of getting drunk can be interpreted as "holier than thou".

I don't know, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I think talking about some of the perils of drinking in this thread is kind of like going into a "steak lovers" thread, and talking about all the horrors of the meat industry.  While that's a completely valid viewpoint, at the same time it can come across as a bit of a buzz kill.

Anyway, this is probably one of the sillier bits of drama on CelticsBlog lately.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I wouldn't recommend taking offense to much of the stuff posted in the "drunk" thread.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #724 on: March 13, 2011, 03:38:54 PM »

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 53
WTH kind of thread is this advertised on the front page?
Not everyone thinks it's funny to get drunk.

« Reply #725 on: March 13, 2011, 03:43:52 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
WTH kind of thread is this advertised on the front page?
Not everyone thinks it's funny to get drunk.

Relax. This is meant for fun. If you don't like it, don't check in here or post here. This thread has been around for a while now...I don't know why its become a big deal all of a sudden.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #726 on: March 13, 2011, 04:05:17 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

I don't think anybody said they couldn't be.  However, I think Redz' point is that moralizing about drinking -- while appropriate -- might not be appropriate in this thread.  Basically, coming into a thread populated by a bunch of drinkers and sharing a story about the perils of getting drunk can be interpreted as "holier than thou".

I don't know, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I think talking about some of the perils of drinking in this thread is kind of like going into a "steak lovers" thread, and talking about all the horrors of the meat industry.  While that's a completely valid viewpoint, at the same time it can come across as a bit of a buzz kill.

Anyway, this is probably one of the sillier bits of drama on CelticsBlog lately.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I wouldn't recommend taking offense to much of the stuff posted in the "drunk" thread.

I was not "moralizing" about drinking, nor did I even mention "all the horrors of drinking", I was merely relating an experience I had in the foolishness of my youth, (as others have also done in this thread, talking of hangovers, etc.). I in no way was passing judgement or even admonishing anyone but myself.

The story itself, about how I decided at an early age from getting sick that I didn't want to go through a similar experience again, was indeed a bit silly and was meant to be lighthearted, as most of us look back on our youth in such a way. The reply, however, was intended only to put me "in my place", as he decided I was being "preachy', which was a complete misinterpretation of my post.

If anyone took offense to what was posted in this thread, it was Redz, so I don't think I need any admonishing ... the story was a lighthearted anecdote of a personal experience, and that's how it should have remained. There was absolutely no need to make it into something it wasn't, and no need for others to speak for Redz in this instance ... I think he's capable of expressing his opinion quite well on his own.

It was a story about a foolish experience I went through, nothing more nothing less. If anyone was overly sensitive or over-reactionary in this instance, it certainly wasn't me. ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #727 on: March 13, 2011, 04:07:13 PM »

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
You relax! I don't think it should be advertised on the front page. It takes away from the classiness of this blog. Sure, it's been around awhile, but that doesn't make it something good.

There are plenty of us who've had horrible life experiences because of drunks and I want my opinion out there that I think it's wrong.

« Reply #728 on: March 13, 2011, 04:11:56 PM »

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
TP, Bahku

« Reply #729 on: March 13, 2011, 04:12:41 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
You relax! I don't think it should be advertised on the front page. It takes away from the classiness of this blog. Sure, it's been around awhile, but that doesn't make it something good.

There are plenty of us who've had horrible life experiences because of drunks and I want my opinion out there that I think it's wrong.

simply make a "drinking can ruin your life thread" then. I agree with you by the way I hate alcohol and the way it ruins some people's lifes, but if you can enjoy it responsibly enjoy yourself.

« Reply #730 on: March 13, 2011, 04:15:52 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

I was not "moralizing" about drinking, nor did I even mention "all the horrors of drinking", I was merely relating an experience I had in the foolishness of my youth, (as others have also done in this thread, talking of hangovers, etc.). I in no way was passing judgement or even admonishing anyone but myself.

The story itself, about how I decided at an early age from getting sick that I didn't want to go through a similar experience again, was indeed a bit silly and was meant to be lighthearted, as most of us look back on our youth in such a way. The reply, however, was intended only to put me "in my place", as he decided I was being "preachy', which was a complete misinterpretation of my post.

If anyone took offense to what was posted in this thread, it was Redz, so I don't think I need any admonishing ... the story was a lighthearted anecdote of a personal experience, and that's how it should have remained. There was absolutely no need to make it into something it wasn't, and no need for others to speak for Redz in this instance ... I think he's capable of expressing his opinion quite well on his own.

It was a story about a foolish experience I went through, nothing more nothing less. If anyone was overly sensitive or over-reactionary in this instance, it certainly wasn't me. ;)

Maybe I misinterpreted it, but it sure sounded a lot more serious than you're now portraying it to be.  I think this has happened between us before though, wehere I just completely don't get what your intentions are.  I should ask for clarification next time, or bud out.  My bad.

One thing though, if me saying "I don't want to make a big stink about it" could be construed as me actually wanting to make a big deal about, then you saying you don't want to come across as "holier than thou" could be construed similarly.

Anyhow...the point of this thread is for people to check in there feeling buzzed, not get a buzz kill. 

At the moment the only thing I'm drunk on is Pepto Bismo (long day and NIGHT, which may have had something to do with my mood this morning).  So, I'll return this thread to those who are drunk.
Yup

« Reply #731 on: March 13, 2011, 04:18:14 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides

We are advertising this thread on the front page? Who is the advertiser? Eja? Nobody said you're opinion is wrong...but I think it's silly to come in a thread like this and say it's horrible to drink etc. It's like me - who has never eaten red meat - posting in the "I love steak" thread and talking about how red meat is not good for you.

There is no need to make a big deal out of this. This is only for fun...no drunk driving or anything illegal is involved here. But if you want to play the moral police here...please go ahead.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #732 on: March 13, 2011, 04:27:19 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

I don't think anybody said they couldn't be.  However, I think Redz' point is that moralizing about drinking -- while appropriate -- might not be appropriate in this thread.  Basically, coming into a thread populated by a bunch of drinkers and sharing a story about the perils of getting drunk can be interpreted as "holier than thou".

I don't know, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I think talking about some of the perils of drinking in this thread is kind of like going into a "steak lovers" thread, and talking about all the horrors of the meat industry.  While that's a completely valid viewpoint, at the same time it can come across as a bit of a buzz kill.

Anyway, this is probably one of the sillier bits of drama on CelticsBlog lately.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I wouldn't recommend taking offense to much of the stuff posted in the "drunk" thread.

Maybe I misinterpreted it, but it sure sounded a lot more serious than you're now portraying it to be.  I think this has happened between us before though, wehere I just completely don't get what your intentions are.  I should ask for clarification next time, or bud out.  My bad.

One thing though, if me saying "I don't want to make a big stink about it" could be construed as me actually wanting to make a big deal about, then you saying you don't want to come across as "holier than thou" could be construed similarly.

Anyhow...the point of this thread is for people to check in there feeling buzzed, not get a buzz kill.  

At the moment the only thing I'm drunk on is Pepto Bismo (long day and NIGHT, which may have had something to do with my mood this morning).  So, I'll return this thread to those who are drunk.

I removed my post long ago, so let's let it die a peaceful death ... I would think that should show sufficient regret on my part. I personally thought it was funny ... lesson learned. Man.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #733 on: March 13, 2011, 04:32:24 PM »

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
It's on the front page under latest forum topics. I like to put my opinion out there just like everyone else. Isn't that what a blog is for?

And btw, I don't mind the name calling.."moral police"...in this case because I feel strongly about it and name calling is not going to run me off.

Those of us who've had a major problem with drunks in our lives are going to feel inclined to speak up when we see the title of this thread.

It's like I'm reading........Hey, I'm drunk. What do you think about that? And I am attracted to that like a moth to a flame.

« Reply #734 on: March 13, 2011, 04:58:28 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I guess my only counter thought is that I didn't start the thread to put my opinion on drunkenness out there. I hardly have one.

I so so sooooooo didn't mean to offend a soul with that thread and am sooooo not offended by mmbaby either.

I kinda think we're splitting hairs.