Author Topic: Big men who could be signed?  (Read 7269 times)

Re: Big men who could be signed?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2019, 11:04:24 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Why is Gortat even available? Is something wrong with him?

If not Gortat, I guess I go with Monroe. I know, I know, defense and all, but he did very recently play for the Celtics and I at least see him being able to hold his ground better than someone like Zeller.

But, in the end, it sounds like it will be Thomas Robinson. I don't know much about him except that he was supposed to be good and has bounced around to a few teams. Apparently the Red Claws claimed him 3 days ago.

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/17/red-claws-officially-claim-former-fifth-overall-pick-thomas-robinson/

I think Gortat was a throw in as part of a trade and was cut by The Clippers I think?

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2019, 11:07:06 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

If not Gortat, I guess I go with Monroe. I know, I know, defense and all, but he did very recently play for the Celtics and I at least see him being able to hold his ground better than someone like Zeller.

But, in the end, it sounds like it will be Thomas Robinson. I don't know much about him except that he was supposed to be good and has bounced around to a few teams. Apparently the Red Claws claimed him 3 days ago.

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/17/red-claws-officially-claim-former-fifth-overall-pick-thomas-robinson/

Personally, I liked this quote from the article - I am not sure what the author was thinking with this one:
Boston may not have much use for a big man with their frontcourt stacked with bodies but Robinson’s efforts are commendable no matter the outcome.

"He’s (Robinson) played for six teams in his five-year NBA career, averaging 4.9 points and 4.8 rebounds in 13.4 minutes per game."

If he could average that for us that would be good enough....

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2019, 11:08:40 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
If there was someone decent available, he would have already been signed by a playoff team.  The Sixers would kill to have a better backup center option. 

Gortat had a -6.4 rating with the Clips.  TRob hasn't played in the league for 2 seasons and the only thing he did reasonably well was rebound. 

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2019, 11:10:16 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
If there was someone decent available, he would have already been signed by a playoff team.  The Sixers would kill to have a better backup center option. 

Gortat had a -6.4 rating with the Clips.  TRob hasn't played in the league for 2 seasons and the only thing he did reasonably well was rebound.

Rebounding would be good. ;D

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2019, 11:14:12 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Five hard Gortat fouls on Embiid would be good.

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2019, 11:27:44 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Yeah, Gortat is a good mean strong body to throw around.

TRob can get you 5/5 in however many minutes he plays it seems, and considering our rebounding is atrocious that would be nice.

'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2019, 11:36:56 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

TRob can get you 5/5 in however many minutes he plays it seems, and considering our rebounding is atrocious that would be nice.

Agree.

Keith Smith agrees, too.

[Keith Smith

@KeithSmithNBA
 With Aron Baynes down, I think there is a good chance the Celtics sign Thomas Robinson by the weekend.

10:10 PM - Mar 20, 2019

TRob has one big supporter on the team already: Marcus Morris. I understand that the Morrisses and TRob are very close since TRob lost a chunk of his family in a brief time tears ago, and the Morris brothers and family stepped up.

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2019, 12:22:12 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Agree.

Keith Smith agrees, too.

[Keith Smith

@KeithSmithNBA
 With Aron Baynes down, I think there is a good chance the Celtics sign Thomas Robinson by the weekend.

10:10 PM - Mar 20, 2019

TRob has one big supporter on the team already: Marcus Morris. I understand that the Morrisses and TRob are very close since TRob lost a chunk of his family in a brief time tears ago, and the Morris brothers and family stepped up.
Yeah, as much as I've disliked Morris' play as of late, gotta admire the link he has with TRob. I've always been a big fan, so I'm naturally very in favour of bringing him here.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2019, 12:28:51 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I wouldn't mind Gortat. We certainly won't see the same Gortat from his days in Orlando and Phoenix but it couldn't hurt.

Looks like it'll be Robinson, however.

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2019, 12:32:09 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I wouldn't mind Gortat. We certainly won't see the same Gortat from his days in Orlando and Phoenix but it couldn't hurt.

Looks like it'll be Robinson, however.

Maybe Gortat can help us with his illegal screens and we can get away with it!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2019, 01:05:56 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Rather see Smart at the five than any of those guys listed

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2019, 01:09:22 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Rather see Smart at the five than any of those guys listed

Well, Smart does have the height that's tall enough for Ainge to consider him a center.

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2019, 01:14:46 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

I think Gortat was a throw in as part of a trade and was cut by The Clippers I think?

He was traded by the Wizards to the Clippers last summer for Austin Rivers and was indeed cut by the Clippers shortly after the trade deadline.

Come to think of it, because Gortat did play this season and because it's well past March 1st, he wouldn't even be playoff eligible if we acquired him, right?

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2019, 01:16:20 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
All of these players are garbage. There's a reason they are still team-less.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2019, 03:48:18 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

He was traded by the Wizards to the Clippers last summer for Austin Rivers and was indeed cut by the Clippers shortly after the trade deadline.

Come to think of it, because Gortat did play this season and because it's well past March 1st, he wouldn't even be playoff eligible if we acquired him, right?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nba.com/amp/clippers/la-clippers-waive-marcin-gortat

Feb 7, 2019

The L.A. Clippers have waived center Marcin Gortat...Gortat, 34, appeared in 47 games in his lone season with the Clippers, averaging 5.0 points and 5.6 rebounds in 16.0 minutes. The 6’11” 240-pound center holds career averages of 9.9 points, 8.0 rebounds and 1.1 blocks in 25.7 minutes in 806 appearances across 12 NBA seasons with Orlando, Phoenix, Washington and L.A.