Theis - Timelord - Thompson
1 (3.6%)
Timelord - Thompson - Theis
10 (35.7%)
Timelord - Theis - Thompson
2 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: January 31, 2021, 07:13:55 AM

Author Topic: How do you rank our centers?  (Read 2959 times)

Re: How do you rank our centers?
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2021, 01:01:32 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Tie between TT and Theis to me. Timelord is still a "stealth burner" in the vein of Nick Collison imo - he's only so effective because teams don't realise how much he is burning them in limited minutes.
So basically Timelord is effective cause other teams are stupid? :P
He'll be effective even if other teams adjust for him, but I doubt he'd be putting up these insane numbers while TT and Theis are quality starting bigs.

Btw teams are "dumber" than you think - you should really read how resistant coaches are to analytics when what they're doing is poor analytics (eg. Billy Donovan trying to use CP3's elbow shooting as an example to push back against analytics when analytics would encourage CP3 to shoot as many of those as possible in the half court).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2021, 01:30:24 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Tie between TT and Theis to me. Timelord is still a "stealth burner" in the vein of Nick Collison imo - he's only so effective because teams don't realise how much he is burning them in limited minutes.
So basically Timelord is effective cause other teams are stupid? :P
He'll be effective even if other teams adjust for him, but I doubt he'd be putting up these insane numbers while TT and Theis are quality starting bigs.

Btw teams are "dumber" than you think - you should really read how resistant coaches are to analytics when what they're doing is poor analytics (eg. Billy Donovan trying to use CP3's elbow shooting as an example to push back against analytics when analytics would encourage CP3 to shoot as many of those as possible in the half court).
I'm sure some coaches/teams are stubborn. I have a hard time imagining that Timelord is effective cause all our opponents are stubborn/stupid.

In a vacuum, I believe Timelord is our best Center. Imo, he ain't playing more cause he's a bad fit in our switch-heavy defensive system. The C's are built around Tatum and Brown. They are both switchable defenders. It seems that CBS wants a switchable starting Center. If Timelord were a passable perimeter defender, I bet he would have been a starter by now.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 01:47:55 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2021, 01:51:39 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Timelord and TT impact the whole game the instant they come in .  I see teams launching the outside shot immediately.   

I gave Timelord the nod by a hair ,  his energy is dynamic with Brown and Pritchard....pressure to contain these guy from busting out on a dwon hill break is a game changer  .  TT is a load on offense under the rim , he is hard to muscle out ...LOL. 

Theis get abused in the paint too much in the NBA .  He is too small built and can't leap like RobWill.  Sometimes he plays well.

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2021, 03:49:35 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
All three have some above NBA average strengths (as noted by others). And all three have some fairly serious weaknesses that hold them back.

But i think it's fair to say that the Cs should be investing in Williams' comfort on the court now, as a means to him being a better, more consistent, more patient player by the playoffs. He's pretty erratic -- and again, a little too rushed all the time -- but shows 2-5 minutes stretches of being a major presence.

I agree with Roy he's doing well as a bench guy. Don't want to heap too much on his shoulders too quickly, so i think you keep him out of the starting line-up. But I do think his minutes should creep up signifcantly over the next 4-6 weeks if the Cs are smart, because his potential to impact games is undeniable.

I'd add -- as was my call in the "bold predictions 2021" thread -- i'd not be surprised at all to see Theis get traded this season.

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2021, 06:34:19 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The real answer to this problem is for Theis and TL to do a fusion dance and become one single elite big man
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2021, 04:09:09 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
It’s a shame that TT and TL are out for the next few games, but I’m going to enjoy watching Tacko play.  He did really well last night, much better than I was expecting.   I’m curious if he could be a capable third string center. 

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2021, 06:14:36 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
The real answer to this problem is for Theis and TL to do a fusion dance and become one single elite big man
Theis has responded with a Danielhameha tonight :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2021, 07:01:51 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
At the moment, probably Thompson - Theis - Rob.  But Rob has highest ceiling.

I agree that Rob playing and gradually increasing bench minutes is correct, but I can’t help wishing for him at times  in the starting lineup as I really like him around the rim on both ends.  I get (not as astutely as many of you) his challenges on the perimeter and handling switches that put him in less ideal defensive positions.

Re: Thompson, I think it’s him by barely a nose over Theis.  I do like Theis’ ability to shoot mid-range any downtown with decent D and consistent energy.
Thompson is the inside presence needed.  On the downside for TT I find myself wishing he had Kanter’s hands sometimes.  I see fast carom balls bouncing off his hands on offensive boards that my brain thinks Enes would have snagged.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 09:29:48 AM by Neurotic Guy »

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2021, 09:24:40 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
TT-Timelord-Theis

TT because of his exprience, his mental approach and influence in the team and his elite qualities : reb and energy.Maybe Theis do better the little things but I guess we need more elite rebound than switching. Both have lack of long range game.
Theis would be second option has a titulary, I guess Timelord is still a bench profile, enregiser player and the little things of Theis are not much banchable aptitudes.
This is why if Tacko can be acredible 3rd C option with Grant for some smallball time, Theis could be for me in a trade pack for a stretch 4 (esp if he has aptitutde to play some minutes at 5)