Poll

How Many regular Season games Should NBA play?

82. Don't touch my regular season!
13 (44.8%)
72-81. Lets just take a few out to reduced B2B's. Play out of conf x2 + in conf x3 gets to 72.
6 (20.7%)
61-72. 4-6 divisions. Everyone plays x2, in division 3x.
5 (17.2%)
58-60. Everyone plays 2x.
4 (13.8%)
Actually, lets play more games! Expand the schedule!
1 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: How Many Games Should There be in the NBA Regular Season?  (Read 3668 times)

Re: How Many Games Should There be in the NBA Regular Season?
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2024, 04:03:20 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
It's only a matter of time before the league expands to 32 teams.

Everyone plays each other twice: 31 x 2 = 62 games

As things stand, there's no parity. Some teams have relatively easier schedule cause they happen to be in weak divisions (and vice versa).

Has there ever been parity in NBA scheduling?  Is this something that’s an actual problem that needs fixing?  Maybe from a Euro point of view it’s odd, as I understand you’re not from the US, but in the North American leagues unbalanced schedules are the norm.

Re: How Many Games Should There be in the NBA Regular Season?
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2024, 08:03:06 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I know they already kind of mean very little to most people, but I do think having at least the concept of historical comparisons alive is worth something. If they started a 60 game season next year pretty much every single all time record holder for points, rebounds, steals and assists and blocks is the leader for eternity (although I guess that is already true for rebounds). That seems a little lame to me.
I think it is true for all of the 5 major categories.  There won't be a new all time leader in points, rebounds, assists, steals, or blocks on any of our lifetimes anyway

I wonder if Halliburton could maybe make a run at assists if he has a super long career. He is definitely not in his prime, has upped his assists every year. He also seems to actually care about getting assists ( was visibly upset when his teammate passed when he could have got a 20 20 assist game). If he could start pumping out some 13 assists a game seasons and stay healthy it seems possible. Still very doubtful but perhaps possible.
Stockton played 1504 games and averaged 10.5 apg.  Thst is 15806 total assists. 

Haliburton currently has 2037 assists and has played 235 games. So he needs 13769 more assists. Let's be generous and say he averages 11 apg the rest of his career. He needs still 1252 more games.  At 75 games a year, that is 17 more seasons.  So for the next 17 seasons Halburton will need to average 11 apg and do so playing on average 75 games a year. 

It just isn't happening.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip