Author Topic: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs  (Read 423920 times)

Re: NBA Season 2023-24
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2023, 10:34:51 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Mav’s lose to Real Madrid 123-127…Wow.

Vincent Poirier had 19pts, 10rebs, 6blks. Guerschon Yabuselle added 18pts, 9rebs, 3stls and Facundo Campazzo with 20pts, 8ast, 6rebs.

Dallas looks set for a BAD season.

I actually like their top two but their supporting cast is all wrong. Too many young ones. Too many non-defender veteran role players (T Hardaway, Kleber). They are in trouble.

Another missed playoffs looks likely.

They shot themselves in the foot when they traded for Kyrie, then they doubled down on it. Beginning of the end for Luka's time in Dallas. Still, can't dump on them for losing a game where Luka played 5 minutes total and Kyrie didn't even play.

I don’t care if Luka and Kyrie didn’t play, they just lost to Euroleague team that features Gerschon Yabuselle and Vincent Poirier. They have zero NBA caliber players. That’s just embarrassing.

I didn't see the game but it seems like a pretty bad indication if DAL supporting cast after Luka and Kyrie is no better than a EuroLeague team.

Yeah, I’m betting hard on the Mavs under after their preseason showing so far.  I already doubted them after their finish last year and wasn’t overly impressed with their offseason, but they’ve looked awful so far, first against Minny and now against Madrid.

What's their over/under?

I see 43.5 on DK.

Yep.  I’m considering taking the under of 40.5 at +170, but I’ll probably stay cautious and just go for the 43.5.
Fanduel is 44.5 at -110 while Ceasars is 44.5 at -115. Bet365 is also 44.5 but is actually 6/5 on the under (so a pretty solid bet if you want that in that a 10 dollar bet pays 22).  Always shop around on those things.  Especially this early as you can come up with pretty solid odds if you shop around.

Sure, but I have free bets on DraftKings and fanatics, so that’s where I play primarily.  And DK also is the only one with alternate O/U, which I do like.  But I shop, because of course you should.

Yeah, you can go 40.5 all the way up to 48.5 right now.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2023, 10:38:11 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Vincent Poirier had 19pts, 10rebs, 6blks. Guerschon Yabuselle added 18pts, 9rebs, 3stls and Facundo Campazzo with 20pts, 8ast, 6rebs.

I actually like their top two but their supporting cast is all wrong. Too many young ones. Too many non-defender veteran role players (T Hardaway, Kleber). They are in trouble.

They shot themselves in the foot when they traded for Kyrie, then they doubled down on it. Beginning of the end for Luka's time in Dallas. Still, can't dump on them for losing a game where Luka played 5 minutes total and Kyrie didn't even play.

I don’t care if Luka and Kyrie didn’t play, they just lost to Euroleague team that features Gerschon Yabuselle and Vincent Poirier. They have zero NBA caliber players. That’s just embarrassing.

I didn't see the game but it seems like a pretty bad indication if DAL supporting cast after Luka and Kyrie is no better than a EuroLeague team.

Yeah, I’m betting hard on the Mavs under after their preseason showing so far.  I already doubted them after their finish last year and wasn’t overly impressed with their offseason, but they’ve looked awful so far, first against Minny and now against Madrid.

What's their over/under?

I see 43.5 on DK.

Yep.  I’m considering taking the under of 40.5 at +170, but I’ll probably stay cautious and just go for the 43.5.
Fanduel is 44.5 at -110 while Ceasars is 44.5 at -115. Bet365 is also 44.5 but is actually 6/5 on the under (so a pretty solid bet if you want that in that a 10 dollar bet pays 22).  Always shop around on those things.  Especially this early as you can come up with pretty solid odds if you shop around.

Sure, but I have free bets on DraftKings and fanatics, so that’s where I play primarily.  And DK also is the only one with alternate O/U, which I do like.  But I shop, because of course you should.
I mean if you have cash to spare, you could bet the under 44 5 at B365 and the over 43.5 at DK, and guarantee you win something and then hope they come in at 44 and you win both. If you are confident in the under, B365 is the place to go as it is the underdog and you get the extra win to boot.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2023, 10:46:30 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

What's their over/under?

I see 43.5 on DK.

I mean if you have cash to spare, you could bet the under 44 5 at B365 and the over 43.5 at DK, and guarantee you win something and then hope they come in at 44 and you win both. If you are confident in the under, B365 is the place to go as it is the underdog and you get the extra win to boot.

Except that I assume its -110 for under 44.5, so betting the over at -110 at 43.5 on DK and the under 44.5 elsewhere will cause you to lose money unless it’s 44 exactly.

No idea about B365 because they don’t operate in my state, but I like to only have money in two sites so I don’t overdo it.

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2023, 11:00:48 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

What's their over/under?

I see 43.5 on DK.

Except that I assume its -110 for under 44.5, so betting the over at -110 at 43.5 on DK and the under 44.5 elsewhere will cause you to lose money unless it’s 44 exactly.

No idea about B365 because they don’t operate in my state, but I like to only have money in two sites so I don’t overdo it.
ah. B365 is a 6/5 on the under at 44.5.  So a $10 bet pays $22.  So at DK to pay $22 you'd have to bet 11.525 on the over of 43.5 or you could move the over to 44.5 and bet 10.48 to pay 22.  Guaranteed payment at end of season either way.  Many sites frown on that sort of betting though.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2023, 12:47:33 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Any interest in Kai Jones?

No. That kid seems to be going through some sort of mental health issue. He needs to prioritize that.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2023, 01:11:16 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

What's their over/under?

I see 43.5 on DK.

ah. B365 is a 6/5 on the under at 44.5.  So a $10 bet pays $22.  So at DK to pay $22 you'd have to bet 11.525 on the over of 43.5 or you could move the over to 44.5 and bet 10.48 to pay 22.  Guaranteed payment at end of season either way.  Many sites frown on that sort of betting though.

I don't have a point here, just an observation - since I only gamble with my health, one of the interesting side-effects is just how foreign these conversations can get. You might as well be speaking Martian. It's brilliant.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2023, 02:55:41 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436

you take the 2 best players off of most teams and I'm not sure they are better than a Euroleague team.  I mean how good is Denver without Jokic and Murray or the Lakers without Lebron and Davis or the Bucks without Giannis and Lillard.  Heck even the deeper teams like Boston aren't going to be very good without Tatum and Brown or the Warriors without Curry and Klay.  It isn't just losing the 2 best players either it is losing basically your team identity, the offensive engines that make the whole thing work, etc.

We are talking about a team full of NBA players. I expect KCP, MPJ, A-Gordon, Christian Braun and Reggie Jackson to beat a Euroleague team. Same goes for Middleton, Portis,  B-Lopez,  Beasley, and Payne.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2023, 03:08:35 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150
I'm excited to see how Sasha Vezenkov and Vasilije Micic do this year -- both guys in their primes coming over with EuroLeague MVP accolades. I don't know how to project them or know enough about them really...should be fun to find out.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2023, 04:09:23 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen

you take the 2 best players off of most teams and I'm not sure they are better than a Euroleague team.  I mean how good is Denver without Jokic and Murray or the Lakers without Lebron and Davis or the Bucks without Giannis and Lillard.  Heck even the deeper teams like Boston aren't going to be very good without Tatum and Brown or the Warriors without Curry and Klay.  It isn't just losing the 2 best players either it is losing basically your team identity, the offensive engines that make the whole thing work, etc.

We are talking about a team full of NBA players. I expect KCP, MPJ, A-Gordon, Christian Braun and Reggie Jackson to beat a Euroleague team. Same goes for Middleton, Portis,  B-Lopez,  Beasley, and Payne.
I think that might just mean you don't watch a lot of Euroleague?
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2023, 05:17:31 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436

Are Euroleague teams regularly beating NBA teams? Just looked through some of the scores from last years preseason and the Non-NBA teams were getting blown out every game.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 05:24:52 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2023, 05:22:34 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

No. That kid seems to be going through some sort of mental health issue. He needs to prioritize that.

And Charlotte just waived him. Not sure if a good look to dump a guy clearly going through a mental health crisis when you just recently resigned a convicted woman beater.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2023, 05:23:54 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

And Charlotte just waived him. Not sure if a good look to dump a guy clearly going through a mental health crisis when you just recently resigned a convicted woman beater.

He also wanted to be traded, so I’m not sure they had a good set of options.

« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2023, 05:24:19 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

Are Euroleague teams regularly beating NBA teams?

The vast majority of EuroLeague players are there because they couldn't make an NBA roster, or would be a min contract at the end of the bench.  I would expect players 3-12 on any NBA roster to be better than any Euroleage roster.  If they aren't, I don't think that team is going to do very well in the NBA.

« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2023, 05:28:31 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen

Are Euroleague teams regularly beating NBA teams? Just looked through some of the scores from last years preseason and the Non-NBA teams were getting blown out every game.
The gap gets smaller every year, and that Dallas roster doesn't exactly inspire confidence, as you say.

That said, it's pre-season - I think we all know better than to read too much into the tea leaves.

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2023, 05:34:52 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

He also wanted to be traded, so I’m not sure they had a good set of options.

Keep on the roster, try to work with his family and representation to get him into a health facility. Not to say they haven't already tried that, but they have to pay him for this season either way. Just seems to me it'd be a better option to keep a line of contact open.
2021 Houston Rockets