Author Topic: Woj: Jrue to Celtics  (Read 50334 times)

Re: Woj: Jrue to Celtics
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2023, 12:35:36 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Obviously Brogdon wasn't happy. Hate losing Rob but he always gets hurt.

Yeah, it does feel like that was a part of this deal. They paid a heavy price for Jrue. Brogdon who was a 6th man of the year and a legit 17-20ppg 6-7apg guy as a starting PG, Timelord who is a good starting big man with injury issues, two first round picks including an unprotected one far off into the future (2029).

That is a huge price to pay for a 33yr old guard who has choked in the playoffs on a routine basis.

Why give up so much if you are not concerned about how unhappy Brogdon is behind the scenes?

Wait? Holiday choked in the playoffs? This can't be what you are saying. He averaged 18 points ppg without giannis last playoffs. Bucks don't win a title without him. Holiday is a fantastic guard.

« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2023, 12:36:28 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
I should be excited, but I'm not. Timelord was a game changer. The team now has to rely on a frontourt of Porzingis (who hopefully can stay healthy) and a 38 year old Al Horford. Brad has to now make another move to get a reliable backup.

Wow, Horford is 38? Okay, he will be later this season. So a 38yr old big, an injury prone 7-3 big man and no quality depth beyond them. Awesome.

Nothing could possibly go wrong there. 

« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2023, 12:36:45 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
A bit sad that we won't see D White starting at PG next season. He had an impressive year last season. I was looking forward to him as the full time PG. He deserved it.

Unless we add another rotation level big, I think we’re going small and playing to our strengths with both White and Jrue starting. That would seem more in line with Joe’s philosophy anyways, and honestly it’s not a significant - if any - downgrade defensively given how awesome Jrue is defensively.

Now does this work against Milwaukee or other really big teams? I don’t know, but it does go both ways - i.e. Giannis simply cannot guard Tatum or Brown all game and can’t be camped on either White or Jrue.

« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2023, 12:37:15 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I should be excited, but I'm not. Timelord was a game changer. The team now has to rely on a frontourt of Porzingis (who hopefully can stay healthy) and a 38 year old Al Horford. Brad has to now make another move to get a reliable backup.

Wow, Horford is 38? Okay, he will be later this season. So a 38yr old big, an injury prone 7-3 big man and no quality depth beyond them. Awesome.

Nothing could possibly go wrong there.

Sounds like you might need to sit this season out then.

« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2023, 12:37:16 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406

Yeah, it does feel like that was a part of this deal. They paid a heavy price for Jrue. Brogdon who was a 6th man of the year and a legit 17-20ppg 6-7apg guy as a starting PG, Timelord who is a good starting big man with injury issues, two first round picks including an unprotected one far off into the future (2029).

That is a huge price to pay for a 33yr old guard who has choked in the playoffs on a routine basis.

Why give up so much if you are not concerned about how unhappy Brogdon is behind the scenes?

Wait? Holiday choked in the playoffs? This can't be what you are saying. He averaged 18 points ppg without giannis last playoffs. Bucks don't win a title without him. Holiday is a fantastic guard.

His shooting percentages in the playoffs make Smart look like a sharpshooter.

The definition of an inefficient volume scorer -- in the playoffs over each of his 3 seasons in Milwaukee.

FGA 17.7 per game on 39.6% FG%
3PTA 6.6 per game at 30.4% 3PT%
Only 2.5 FTA per 17.7 FGA for 14.1% free throw rate.

A TS% of 47.6%.

« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2023, 12:39:24 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We should looking at available bigs right now we'll be in deep doggy doo if Kornet is our third big or higher.

(4) Jrue is a scoring PG rather than a true PG. A facilitating or playmaking PG.
7.4 APG  last year isn't shabby.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/holidjr01.html

« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2023, 12:39:25 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676
I like the way this team looks, but Mazzulla really has to stick with the bench this year.  Pritchard, Hauser, Brissett, Svi, don’t care who it is but they need to play even if they struggle.  Don’t run the top five into the ground. 

If we need more bench help then that’s on Brad to fix.  But the answer cannot be “don’t play the bench” like it was at times last year.

« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2023, 12:39:56 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
Wow. Did the C's just overtake the Bucks in odds to win championship?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2023, 12:40:17 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC

His shooting percentages in the playoffs make Smart look like a sharpshooter.

The definition of an inefficient volume scorer -- in the playoffs over each of his 3 seasons in Milwaukee.

I mean you weren't happy with the way things were last season. Weren't happy with the way the offseason went. Now you are not happy with Brad going all in. What exactly do you want them to do?

« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2023, 12:40:50 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933

The only time he’s been considered to choke is when he's been inappropriately thrown into the 1 or 2 option role due to injury, as Middleton has been a shell of himself the last two years. He’s a fantastic third option and a downright scary fourth option. He’ll do just fine here and will be even more of a menace defensively with less scoring responsibility.

« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2023, 12:41:39 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Brad has some big, hairy ones. I’ve always loved Jrue, but it looks like a big overpay to me. But wow, what a starting five.

Many here thought what they gave up for White was an overpay. The C' are going for it now. Holiday not only fills a need, he's the best player in the deal. They did give up quite a bit, but I think it's a move they needed to make. I'm a lot more optimistic about the season now. Injuries and the Joe factor are now the only major concerns.

« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2023, 12:43:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I'd have rather given up both 24 and a 26 than 1 24 and the 29.  Thst pick in 29 could be good.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2023, 12:44:31 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
Honestly, Rob keeps getting injured. His shot-blocking ability seemed watered down last season compared to previous seasons.

I don't like losing Rob, but we got a Dame stopper in Jrue. Now PBS needs to go out and get Bismack Biyombo or Dwight as insurance big.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2023, 12:45:08 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
I said in the other thread that I thought this exact deal would be an overpay. I still think it's an overpay.

That said...

Jrue's reputation as a great locker room leader is well established. He's a terrific 2-way player. I think a backcourt of him and White is going to be incredible and I do think that's the lineup.

Holiday/White/Brown/Tatum/KP with Pritchard/Walsh/Brissett/Hauser/Horford off the bench is a really good rotation. As others have said, we definitely need another rotation big and maybe another PG (unless Banton makes some kind of leap) to fill out a roster that still has injuries worries.

But 2 of the 3 biggest injuries concerns are actually leaving in this deal. I'll miss Brogdon but if he was unhappy and that was going to be a thing throughout the season, then him going isn't actually much of a loss.

I love Rob Williams to death and I do think he and KP could've played together but this probably makes the fit for the starting lineup cleaner. I hope he has a strong, healthy ten year career ahead of him but his injury concerns are still such a big question... But... ugh... I'm going to miss this guy a ton.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2023, 12:45:16 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I might be in the minority here but glad Williams is gone, never a fan of his and can be easily replace..don’t need Brogdon pouting around either..like this trade and need to get a big on waiver wire
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin