Author Topic: Mavericks (6-3) at Celtics (7-1) Game #9 11/11/19  (Read 51268 times)

Re: Mavericks (6-3) at Celtics (7-1) Game #9 11/11/19
« Reply #780 on: November 11, 2019, 11:08:42 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
kemba with minor neck strain

Good news TP

« Reply #781 on: November 11, 2019, 11:13:42 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Did Tatum guard Porzingis a lot? Or was that Smart?

« Reply #782 on: November 11, 2019, 11:17:57 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Probably Tatum more than anyone, Smart did, Jaylen did some, but really, there wasn't much to guard. He's not the same guy he was before the injury. May take a while for him to get back to his old form.

« Reply #783 on: November 11, 2019, 11:18:48 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
We win by 20 with Hayward in lineup tonight.

« Reply #784 on: November 11, 2019, 11:25:54 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
We win by 20 with Hayward in lineup tonight.

yup

« Reply #785 on: November 11, 2019, 11:27:42 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
lol at whoever downplayed Doncic earlier in the thread. Guy may very well already be the best player in the NBA.
I assume you meant me since I scoffed at the Bird comparisons. I mean I look at him as a Magic/LeBron type, is that called downplaying him?
Not sure if it was you or not, but yeah, Bird comparisons are absolutely legit, and IMO, Larry Legend is right there with Jordan as the best player I ever saw. Doncic is 20 years old. Bird wasn't even in the league til he was 23. Doncic might not be an elite defender, but he's no liability.

Little doubt in my mind he's the best player in the league right now. We double and tripled him all night, played him with one of the best perimeter defenders in the league, and he still lit us up and kept an otherwise mediocre team right there til the last 3 min or so.

I'm glad we only see him one more time this season.

Woahhhh, hold on. Does this guy rebound like Bird or pass like Bird or even play team defense like Bird ? Bird was a wild animal on the boards when he was younger and is the greatest passer from the forward spot in history, plus Bird had obscene scoring nights his entire career and Doncic has not shown the clutch gene that Larry had in spades. I know he is young - but he is not Larry Bird.
What he's got is the Larry Bird step back - except that he does it off the dribble.  He's also a scorer in the Bird-mode, and seems to be an above average passer.  However, Bird was a great rebounder - never got enough credit for that in my opinion and may have been a better passer, though time will tell. 

As far as the clutch gene, I'd say he has it - keep in mind the team around him isn't nearly as good as Bird's supporting cast was - when he was at his best.  One trait that's very similar between the two - they're both tough as nails.  Doncic, as we saw tonight, dishes out as much (or more) punishment than he takes. 

Whether he's a Bird's level or not, I love watching him.  Really entertaining game tonight despite the clunkers by Porzingis and Tatum.

« Reply #786 on: November 11, 2019, 11:30:03 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Probably Tatum more than anyone, Smart did, Jaylen did some, but really, there wasn't much to guard. He's not the same guy he was before the injury. May take a while for him to get back to his old form.

This feels a bit.. wrong.  Entering tonight he was averaging 20 ppg with a better eFG% than his All-Star season pre-injury.  I’m sure there’s still some recovery/getting his legs under him to come, but it’s not like he’s been a stiff so far this season.

« Reply #787 on: November 11, 2019, 11:34:39 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
lol at whoever downplayed Doncic earlier in the thread. Guy may very well already be the best player in the NBA.
I assume you meant me since I scoffed at the Bird comparisons. I mean I look at him as a Magic/LeBron type, is that called downplaying him?
Not sure if it was you or not, but yeah, Bird comparisons are absolutely legit, and IMO, Larry Legend is right there with Jordan as the best player I ever saw. Doncic is 20 years old. Bird wasn't even in the league til he was 23. Doncic might not be an elite defender, but he's no liability.

Little doubt in my mind he's the best player in the league right now. We double and tripled him all night, played him with one of the best perimeter defenders in the league, and he still lit us up and kept an otherwise mediocre team right there til the last 3 min or so.

I'm glad we only see him one more time this season.

Woahhhh, hold on. Does this guy rebound like Bird or pass like Bird or even play team defense like Bird ? Bird was a wild animal on the boards when he was younger and is the greatest passer from the forward spot in history, plus Bird had obscene scoring nights his entire career and Doncic has not shown the clutch gene that Larry had in spades. I know he is young - but he is not Larry Bird.
What he's got is the Larry Bird step back - except that he does it off the dribble.  He's also a scorer in the Bird-mode, and seems to be an above average passer.  However, Bird was a great rebounder - never got enough credit for that in my opinion and may have been a better passer, though time will tell. 

As far as the clutch gene, I'd say he has it - keep in mind the team around him isn't nearly as good as Bird's supporting cast was - when he was at his best.  One trait that's very similar between the two - they're both tough as nails.  Doncic, as we saw tonight, dishes out as much (or more) punishment than he takes. 

Whether he's a Bird's level or not, I love watching him.  Really entertaining game tonight despite the clunkers by Porzingis and Tatum.
Can't disagree with any of that, but Doncic is one of the best rebounding guards in the league. If not the best. He's averaging 11 a game, after averaging 8/game last year.

« Reply #788 on: November 11, 2019, 11:45:26 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
In classes tonight. Didn't catch the game. Anyone want to give me a run down?

Brown played really well the whole game, Kemba came alive in the 2nd half, especially the 4th quarter to break open a really tight game...Doncic was basically unstoppable for large parts of the game, and the Mavs were hitting a lot of shots out of his dribble penetration.  Kemba, Smart, and Jaylen all with big buckets down the stretch to ice the game.

No Gordon and Tatum was 1-18 from the field, and we still won by double digits.

Celtics held there own in rebounding and the bench came up with 29 points. Green and Wannamaker came up big in this one combining for 19. This squad fits together very nicely!

Yeah I should have mentioned Green and Wana, sorry fellas.
Both played really well tonight.

« Reply #789 on: November 12, 2019, 12:02:26 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

This feels a bit.. wrong.  Entering tonight he was averaging 20 ppg with a better eFG% than his All-Star season pre-injury.  I’m sure there’s still some recovery/getting his legs under him to come, but it’s not like he’s been a stiff so far this season.

Some of the on/off court numbers have been very unkind to him. Literally every regular member of the Mavs rotation performs worse with KP on the floor. He has a below average TS% at only 53%. He is a non-existent as a passer.

« Reply #790 on: November 12, 2019, 12:23:50 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Actually, Brown was the main man for guarding Zinger. Smart was on Doncic. It was poetry to watch Doncic and Porzingas attempt their two man pick and roll game against Smart and Brown. The boys in Green shut that stuff down!!!!

So yeah, Smart did get switched on Porzingas a bunch but Smart's primary defend was on Doncic. Smart and Brown bottled them up with perfect switch offs or quick traps or doubles then release back.

That's what killed Porzingas tonight. He couldn't get his offense that flows off Doncic going because Doncic and Zinger were being guarded by two of the best and toughest defenders in the league. Doncic, being best 20 year old player in league history, was still able to do Doncic things but Porzingas couldn't figure out how to get either Celtic pit bull from chewing his leg off.

« Reply #791 on: November 12, 2019, 12:30:52 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Some of the on/off court numbers have been very unkind to him. Literally every regular member of the Mavs rotation performs worse with KP on the floor. He has a below average TS% at only 53%. He is a non-existent as a passer.

I get that, but scoring has not been too much of a problem until tonight, and his TS% has never been very special for his career.  This year’s is down compared to prior years’ only due to FT%. Saying “there really wasn’t much to guard” belies what he’s done on an individual offensive level prior to tonight.

« Reply #792 on: November 12, 2019, 12:39:11 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

I get that, but scoring has not been too much of a problem until tonight, and his TS% has never been very special for his career.  This year’s is down compared to prior years’ only due to FT%. Saying “there really wasn’t much to guard” belies what he’s done on an individual offensive level prior to tonight.

Sure. Its also worth pointing out that KP is one of those guys who you can definitely guard with a smaller guy without really being punished. He has never been a guy who can take advantage of smaller guys in the post, so I'm not sure its really all that impressive that out smalls slowed him down tonight.

« Reply #793 on: November 12, 2019, 01:10:26 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
In classes tonight. Didn't catch the game. Anyone want to give me a run down?

Brown played really well the whole game, Kemba came alive in the 2nd half, especially the 4th quarter to break open a really tight game...Doncic was basically unstoppable for large parts of the game, and the Mavs were hitting a lot of shots out of his dribble penetration.  Kemba, Smart, and Jaylen all with big buckets down the stretch to ice the game.

No Gordon and Tatum was 1-18 from the field, and we still won by double digits.

Celtics held there own in rebounding and the bench came up with 29 points. Green and Wannamaker came up big in this one combining for 19. This squad fits together very nicely!

Yeah I should have mentioned Green and Wana, sorry fellas.
Both played really well tonight.

Green is aggressive, hits shots, and flashes the ability to make the correct pass off the drive.  But he has a lot of work to do if he wants to be a mainstay in the rotation.  Specifically, he's food on defense.  He's trying, but it's clear that he doesn't really know where to be and it's leading to some bad fouls.

Not knocking him.  He's new to the system and I don't expect him to have everything down yet.  But it's definitely something to work on.

Sort of the inverse of Grant Williams.  Grant picked up the defensive concepts VERY quickly but can't throw it in the ocean right now.  Both players will have to address their weaknesses if they want to have more than bit roles off the bench. 

« Reply #794 on: November 12, 2019, 01:23:38 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I enjoyed parts of this game. Some times though it got rough. The defense really got mixed up in the 3rd and parts of the 4th. One game and already felt the team really missed Hayward.