Author Topic: 25 Greatest Celtics of All-Time  (Read 9206 times)

Re: 25 Greatest Celtics of All-Time
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 12:57:36 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Depends on your criteria. If you're talking about length of service its tought to put Ray/KG on there.

As a player Tommy is too high.

Tommy's other factors are counted. But either way i don't know how you can say that. Tommy played in 66 games in 1958, thats the least amount of games he ever played. He scored over 1000 pts every year but one (he had 912 in that year). Tommy avg'd 8.8 RPG for a career, a career spent fight for rebounds with Bill Russell. He won 8 rings in 9 years. He was Rookie of the year OVER Russell.

His playoff avg's are 19pts 9reb 2ast on 30 minutes per game. Thats amazing.

Add this with his coaching and broadcasting he's right where he belongs, he might even belong one higher.
I don't put a ton of stock into his rebounding considering the pace, and way the game was played back then.

If you add in "other factors" then he's where he belongs. But as a player he's too high.

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 01:05:18 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Depends on your criteria. If you're talking about length of service its tought to put Ray/KG on there.

As a player Tommy is too high.

Tommy's other factors are counted. But either way i don't know how you can say that. Tommy played in 66 games in 1958, thats the least amount of games he ever played. He scored over 1000 pts every year but one (he had 912 in that year). Tommy avg'd 8.8 RPG for a career, a career spent fight for rebounds with Bill Russell. He won 8 rings in 9 years. He was Rookie of the year OVER Russell.

His playoff avg's are 19pts 9reb 2ast on 30 minutes per game. Thats amazing.

Add this with his coaching and broadcasting he's right where he belongs, he might even belong one higher.
I don't put a ton of stock into his rebounding considering the pace, and way the game was played back then.

If you add in "other factors" then he's where he belongs. But as a player he's too high.

The topc isn't Celtic players, its "Greatest Celtics" If there's someone who has been more important in all elements of Celtic Basketball than Tommy Heinsohn I'd like you to point them out.

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 08:20:06 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
McCauley and Cowens should be higher.  Tommy and KC jones should be lower.