Author Topic: Lee and Green = $60 mil of garbage  (Read 16507 times)

Re: Lee and Green = $60 mil of garbage
« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2012, 07:38:01 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I watch Jeff Green closely every time he is on the court, mostly because I am pulling for him to do well.  I get an extra jolt of glad when he scores.  But it's hard to believe that anyone watching him play this year can be happy with the overall product.  Forget about the contract (I believe the contract is only mildly relevant), he has been a non-factor in all but 3 games. And it's not just poor stats -- he isn't providing 'intangibles' either in my opinion.

He is at the disappointing stage right now, NOT at the bust stage.  Anyone who already 'knows' he is a bust is concluding too soon.  There is still a component of role confusion  that seems to be present which tells me it's possible that this may be solvable. 

I wouldn't be shocked if the bust-sayers are correct in the long run but it is definitely too early to conclude.
I can't help but think that Green's contract IS part of the problem. He's now getting paid handsomely. He has 4 years of well above average pay for himself. That can breed satisfaction and passiveness(laziness) in some athletes. Is it any coincidence that word was that Green was one of the best in the gym during the summer workouts when he didn't have a contract but as soon as he gets his big pay day, he reverts back to a player that is as passive or even more so than he ever was in OKC?

His lack of aggression and the fall off in this area on both sides of the ball since preseason is alarming. Could it be the big money that is now coming in has made him....lazy?
He has always lacked a motor.  He looks the same as he always has to me.  Maybe Green was able to thrive and be confident in the summer because there isn't as much pressure and the competition is worse.

« Reply #106 on: November 30, 2012, 07:39:14 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I watch Jeff Green closely every time he is on the court, mostly because I am pulling for him to do well.  I get an extra jolt of glad when he scores.  But it's hard to believe that anyone watching him play this year can be happy with the overall product.  Forget about the contract (I believe the contract is only mildly relevant), he has been a non-factor in all but 3 games. And it's not just poor stats -- he isn't providing 'intangibles' either in my opinion.

He is at the disappointing stage right now, NOT at the bust stage.  Anyone who already 'knows' he is a bust is concluding too soon.  There is still a component of role confusion  that seems to be present which tells me it's possible that this may be solvable. 

I wouldn't be shocked if the bust-sayers are correct in the long run but it is definitely too early to conclude.
I can't help but think that Green's contract IS part of the problem. He's now getting paid handsomely. He has 4 years of well above average pay for himself. That can breed satisfaction and passiveness(laziness) in some athletes. Is it any coincidence that word was that Green was one of the best in the gym during the summer workouts when he didn't have a contract but as soon as he gets his big pay day, he reverts back to a player that is as passive or even more so than he ever was in OKC?

His lack of aggression and the fall off in this area on both sides of the ball since preseason is alarming. Could it be the big money that is now coming in has made him....lazy?
He has always lacked a motor.  He looks the same as he always has to me.  Maybe Green was able to thrive and be confident in the summer because there isn't as much pressure and the competition is worse.
Me too

« Reply #107 on: November 30, 2012, 07:52:43 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
Jeff Green needs to play in a different system. The fact that Rondo is not a shooter means that, practically, the Celtics are a team where everyone plays a role. Rondo passes to the spot up shooters, or to the Centers, drives the lane, or Pierce bails out the offense. ...that's the whole game plan.

Green does not play a "role." He needs to get in where he fits in: in OKC, for a while, Durant was the Shooting guard! Green would be great covering Sean Marion, or driving the Lane with a big center who could make up for an offensive mistake.

I'm not dissing our offense, but it's just not right for Green.

...our offense is PERFECT for Lee, however (who is shooting 24% from three so far this season, instead of his usual 40%). He is just not hitting shots. Maybe he hates it here? Maybe Doc is just being **** to him? I don't know, but I think a change of scenery might do him good.

« Reply #108 on: November 30, 2012, 08:13:22 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

I hadn't thought of the contract being bad in the way you suggest.  C's couldn't have use the $$ on anyone else and I think the contract can be traded along with young talent. May be a valuable contract for making a trade work.  Of course it becomes less valuable the worse he plays. 

But I hadn't thought of it creating a motivational problem.  Hard to say, but you present a compelling case.

« Reply #109 on: November 30, 2012, 08:25:29 PM »

Offline tonyto3690

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 39
We don't post him up enough.  He just isnt' getting enough reps with Pierce/KG/Rondo+Shooters to establish a rhythm.  He's not a shooter.

Give him those fast break dunks and 5-10 post opportunities a game and we'll see where he stands.

He also needs to attack the rebounds more.  Bass isn't particularly adept at rebounding but he attacks the ball in the air and is aggressive and plays angry even though he is a lot like Green in personality.

Green needs that KG fire burned into him and he'll be fine.  Just have KG punch him in the stomach until he stands up for himself lol.

« Reply #110 on: November 30, 2012, 09:57:51 PM »

Offline mrpoundforpound

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
Green has 19 points tonight! what now celtics fans? best player on the team! time to eat crow haters!! wooo jeff!

« Reply #111 on: November 30, 2012, 09:58:16 PM »

Offline jimmehx

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 166
i hope today's game makes you eat a portion of your words. perhaps the greens or the side.

"Uhhh... Wife makes chicken..." - Brian Scalabrine 2007.

« Reply #112 on: November 30, 2012, 10:01:15 PM »

Offline mrpoundforpound

• Payton Pritchard
i hope today's game makes you eat a portion of your words. perhaps the greens or the side.

EAT IT GREEN HATERS! He is an all star and great personality after surgery unlike rondo. Green will lead us to the finals just like he did in his OKC days.

« Reply #113 on: November 30, 2012, 10:04:29 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Now i'm rethinking everything... BACK TO MY OLD THEORY!

PG's with 10+ assists are overrated if you have a TEAM of guys who can pass and make plays, it seems like Rondo holding the ball and running a two man game for the entire shot clock isn't that great for the team... Courtney Lee and Green aren't guys who just sit outside and wait for it to get kicked out, these guys need to feel the ball and have a chance to create their own shots.

I want this team running offense through KG/Sullinger at the elbows and people cutting/setting screens for eachother. Rondo is a great passer and will still make great passes in any offense... i'd like to see that thing move around WAY more and let it naturally go to whoever is taking advantage of his matchup.

« Reply #114 on: November 30, 2012, 10:07:41 PM »

Offline mrpoundforpound

• Payton Pritchard
Now i'm rethinking everything... BACK TO MY OLD THEORY!

PG's with 10+ assists are overrated if you have a TEAM of guys who can pass and make plays, it seems like Rondo holding the ball and running a two man game for the entire shot clock isn't that great for the team... Courtney Lee and Green aren't guys who just sit outside and wait for it to get kicked out, these guys need to feel the ball and have a chance to create their own shots.

I want this team running offense through KG/Sullinger at the elbows and people cutting/setting screens for eachother. Rondo is a great passer and will still make great passes in any offense... i'd like to see that thing move around WAY more and let it naturally go to whoever is taking advantage of his matchup.

Trade rondo for a legitamate big for the future and build around green. i dare anyone who watched today's game disagree that the celts are not better without rondo and with green in charge

« Reply #115 on: November 30, 2012, 10:11:51 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

EAT IT GREEN HATERS! He is an all star and great personality after surgery unlike rondo. Green will lead us to the finals just like he did in his OKC days.

I'm not going to argue whether Green is good or not because it's obvious that he is.

Thing is, this game proves nothing b/c he has done this all season, one great game to every 4 mediocre ones.

When he gets more consistent then you guys can call for crow eating (not for me b/c I have always liked him). But unlike you guys I can admit he has been terrible more games than not.

I was going hard for Green over the off-season but I am not getting my hopes up again until he can have 2 back to back good games and then consistently good ones. He has that chance tomorrow...
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #116 on: November 30, 2012, 10:12:58 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
That was great to see out of Jeff tonight.  Here's hoping he can keep it up. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #117 on: November 30, 2012, 10:13:34 PM »

Offline mrpoundforpound

• Payton Pritchard

I'm not going to argue whether Green is good or not because it's obvious that he is.

Thing is, this game proves nothing b/c he has done this all season, one great game to every 4 mediocre ones.

When he gets more consistent then you guys can call for crow eating (not for me b/c I have always liked him). But unlike you guys I can admit he has been terrible more games than not.

I was going hard for Green over the off-season but I am not getting my hopes up again until he can have 2 back to back good games and then consistently good ones. He has that chance tomorrow...

even lebron james doesnt have back to back good games all the time. pau gasol has been playing bad for the lakers and he gets paid twice as much as jeff. jeff is a a steal at 8 million per year.

« Reply #118 on: November 30, 2012, 10:15:05 PM »

Offline mrpoundforpound

• Payton Pritchard
im so mad that green haters come on every time celtics lose when its not even his fault but when he has 19 points and leads them to a win NO ONE can admit he is a great player. NOT ONE.

« Reply #119 on: November 30, 2012, 10:15:34 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
Jeff Green needs to play in a different system. The fact that Rondo is not a shooter means that, practically, the Celtics are a team where everyone plays a role. Rondo passes to the spot up shooters, or to the Centers, drives the lane, or Pierce bails out the offense. ...that's the whole game plan.

Green does not play a "role." He needs to get in where he fits in: in OKC, for a while, Durant was the Shooting guard! Green would be great covering Sean Marion, or driving the Lane with a big center who could make up for an offensive mistake.

I'm not dissing our offense, but it's just not right for Green.

...our offense is PERFECT for Lee, however (who is shooting 24% from three so far this season, instead of his usual 40%). He is just not hitting shots. Maybe he hates it here? Maybe Doc is just being **** to him? I don't know, but I think a change of scenery might do him good.

I'd like to thank Jeff Green for making me look like a genius tonight.