Author Topic: Warriors first team to 5 straight finals since 1966 Celtics  (Read 2973 times)

Re: Warriors first team to 5 straight finals since 1966 Celtics
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 01:23:25 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Safe to say the Warriors is Curry's team and not Durant's team.

And Curry can be Finals MVP.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 01:28:21 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Most stacked team in NBA history.  Would love to see them sweep before Durant returns just to prove what a spineless bandwagoner he is.

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 02:03:01 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Most stacked team in NBA history.  Would love to see them sweep before Durant returns just to prove what a spineless bandwagoner he is.
Spitting Cobra. https://imgur.com/gallery/rcGB7KG
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 02:28:29 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
A post I just made on Reddit:

The Big 3 of Steph/Klay/Draymond is still younger than Ray/Pierce/KG when the joined the Celtics in 2007

I just feel the need to point this out.   Steph and Klay are already statistically the greatest 3-point shooters of all-time.  Draymond is an all-star level player as well.  That trio already won a title together and followed it up with a 73 win season in which they were literally seconds away from being back-to-back champions (Game 7 was tied with 53 seconds left) had it not been for career-defining performances from Bron/Kyrie. 

They remained the clear favorites to win with or without Durant the past couple seasons.  They just proved this by sweeping their way to the Finals without him.   3 Rings in the Bag.  Likely a 4th on the way.

And yet, for some perspective, that Big 3 is STILL younger than Pierce, Garnett and Ray when they teamed up on the Celtics in 2007.

Current Warriors Ages:

- Draymond = 29 years - 75 days

- Klay = 29 years - 99 days

- Steph = 31 years - 65 days 

Boston's Big 3 Opening Night November 2, 2007:

- Pierce = 30 years - 20 days

- Garnett = 31 years - 167 days 

- Ray = 32 years - 105 days

Boston won the title in 2008.  KG's injury in 2009 held them back, but they returned to the Finals in 2010.  Their run effectively ended in 2012 when they made Game 7 of the ECF.  In that Game 7, Pierce was 34 years (240 days), KG was 36 years (21 days), and Ray was 36 years (325 days).

If the Warriors Big 3 sticks together and follows that 5 season window the Celtics had, they could still be "contenders" for 5 more years after this - regardless of whether Durant tags along.

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 05:09:57 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
When all is said and done, I highly doubt the Warriors would retire KDs number/Jersey in GS.
Think..if KD leaves this would mean he only played for them for 3 seasons.. That is not enough  for management to honor the Snake... Durant's legacy as a mercenary for hire will forever be etched in the annals of NBA history... OKC/Seattle won't retire him either... He now has to make his next stint memorable otherwise he will end up like Melo.. A once upon a star player with no permanent home to honor you.

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 06:04:46 AM »

Online greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
When all is said and done, I highly doubt the Warriors would retire KDs number/Jersey in GS.
Think..if KD leaves this would mean he only played for them for 3 seasons.. That is not enough  for management to honor the Snake... Durant's legacy as a mercenary for hire will forever be etched in the annals of NBA history... OKC/Seattle won't retire him either... He now has to make his next stint memorable otherwise he will end up like Melo.. A once upon a star player with no permanent home to honor you.

I don’t care what happens in his next stint, he’ll never end up like Melo, not even close.
Greg

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 06:24:47 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I don’t care what happens in his next stint, he’ll never end up like Melo, not even close.
more like Ray Allen.  Better obviously, but much more like Allen.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 06:56:18 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

Depends on his next move. This is why I think his mindset is about his legacy.

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 07:37:45 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
its Stephs team and ALWAYS has been

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 08:39:31 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Depends on his next move. This is why I think his mindset is about his legacy.
agreed.   I think his next move this offseason is all about the legacy he wants to leave behind which I'm guessing is to be the undisputed best player on another championship team.  Not sure the Knicks would provide that winning opportunity though even if they were to also lure away Kyrie from the C's (which I do not take as a given unlike many people here), the Knicks have no bench nor other top talent that would get them by the Mil, Tor (assuming Kawhi stays), Philly, Indy or the C's (assuming better health for Hayward and a better lockerroom leading to better team performance -- also without an AD acquisition).

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2019, 08:40:41 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I've been hoping since Durant went down with injury that the Warriors would beat the Rockets, sweep the Blazers, and then have Durant come back for the finals and end up losing.  That would absolutely make my day.  I can't stand Durant.  Here's hoping it happens
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 08:44:13 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I've been hoping since Durant went down with injury that the Warriors would beat the Rockets, sweep the Blazers, and then have Durant come back for the finals and end up losing.  That would absolutely make my day.  I can't stand Durant.  Here's hoping it happens
That would be absolutely perfect. Especially if they lose and Durant chokes
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2019, 09:54:30 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'm almost there with you but it would depend who they play.  had enough of GSW winning but dread how much more favoritism Giannis will get from the refs if he wins a title this year.

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2019, 10:56:52 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Of course OKC will retire his jersey. He played for them for 9 seasons, won 4 scoring titles and an MVP and took them to the Finals once. I haven't looked this up but he must be the team's all time leading scorer. His number is a lock to be retired there.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008