Author Topic: Trade Deadline News (Celtics get Tillman, Jaden Springer)  (Read 25233 times)

Re: Trade Deadline News (Celtics get Tillman)
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2024, 02:41:54 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
https://twitter.com/Sxpreme_Sportz/status/1755346639022178760

This alone should endear Tillman to Celtics fans.

« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2024, 05:00:47 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2024, 06:59:24 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Jayson Tatum on Lamar Stevens being traded to Memphis in the deal for Xavier Tillman: “Losing a key guy to our team. Maybe he didn’t play as much, but his personality and how hard he worked, he was a great teammate and everybody loved Lamar. To wake up from my nap today and see he was traded was tough. The locker room did feel a little empty today seeing he’s not here.” – via The Athletic

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2024, 07:10:03 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
So, since when did second round picks become so valuable?  Is it because of the talent coming out of college?  Just seems like, a guy like Tillman a decade ago would have cost you at least a first.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2024, 07:51:23 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
So, since when did second round picks become so valuable?  Is it because of the talent coming out of college?  Just seems like, a guy like Tillman a decade ago would have cost you at least a first.

He's going to be an unrestricted free agent, so we're only guaranteed to have him for a few months.  I think the value is pretty fair.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2024, 07:54:47 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Anxious to see what Brad does today. Think he brings in a wing

« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2024, 08:03:32 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I remember a lot of us were confused when Brad kept trading down during the last draft to acquire 2nd round picks. He’s really good at his job.

Tillman is pretty similar to Grant Williams. He's not as proven, but will have a chance to earn a GW contract with a good playoffs.

I don't know about that (being similar to Grant).  Tillman has no 3-pt shot but is probably bigger and tougher defending other bigs.  It has been noted that he was a starter for Memphis in the playoffs last season so he has some potential to crack the Celtics playoff rotation, I guess.  We need a bench big who can defend and rebound.  He fits that bill.  Kind of a PF version of Queta is what I am expecting, but with more skill than Queta, and a lot less length.
Yes, that's the main difference between Xavier and Grant, but otherwise they are fairly similar in size. I do think Xavier probably has better lateral quickness so he can guard wings.

It's great that Brad didn't have to give up any 3-pt shooting (by trading PP), but to the extent that Xavier takes Hauser minutes that could be an issue. It's not likely though if Xavier carves out minutes currently going to Luke, Oshae and Queta.

« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2024, 09:17:52 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Like to see Alec Burks or someone like him, we need scoring off the bench
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2024, 09:28:13 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
If my math is correct, we have 5 future 2nd rounders and 3 future 1sts until 2030.

I would try to make another move with only one second round pick (and Grant TPE) and call it a day. No need to waste more.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2024, 09:34:21 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I think Brad is done for today. Maybe he swaps some of those 2nd rounders but I don't expect any more roster changes. Perhaps Queta gets a full contract but seems less likely now with Tillman on board. Q more likely gets sent to Maine.

« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2024, 09:47:16 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I think we see Svi or Banton dumped for a second so we can create a buyout roster space, with Queta getting promoted also.  As far as low-salary wings go, I’d be curious on the asking price for Corey Kispert — the Wizards are awful and everyone should be available.

« Reply #86 on: February 08, 2024, 09:47:48 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I think Boston is going to wait until the buyout market. I personally do not think keeping Banton nor Svi over brining in a functional bench player is the way to go...but whatever. They still have a roster spot and keeping Queta makes zero sense roster wise with it. Send him to Maine. He isn't needed now.

Anyone else feel like there are not really going to be a lot of deals nor big time deals today? Just minor tweaks around the league.

Jake Fischer
@JakeLFischer
·
4m
Barring a surprise, sounds like Boston is done making moves before today’s 3 p.m. ET trade deadline. League personnel are still waiting to see what defensive upgrade(s) come for Milwaukee, after the Bucks may have cast the widest net of any buyer in the NBA these past few weeks.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 09:59:16 AM by celticinorlando »

« Reply #87 on: February 08, 2024, 09:55:57 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
I think Boston is going to wait until the buyout market. I personally do not think keeping Banton nor Svi over brining in a functional bench player is the way to go...but whatever. They still have a roster spot and keeping Queta makes zero sense roster wise with it. Send him to Maine. He isn't needed now.

Jake Fischer
@JakeLFischer
·
4m
Barring a surprise, sounds like Boston is done making moves before today’s 3 p.m. ET trade deadline. League personnel are still waiting to see what defensive upgrade(s) come for Milwaukee, after the Bucks may have cast the widest net of any buyer in the NBA these past few weeks.

I don't mind. Preserve the future picks and roll with what we have (+ Tillman). Monitor the buyout market.

Not to sound like a sour sport but I mean... this is easily the best team we or any team could have hoped to assemble. I know injuries and other factors can emerge, but at this point it's really up to the players. Brad has done his job over the past year with Porzingis, Holiday and Tillman. Time for the Jays and others to step up.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #88 on: February 08, 2024, 10:03:53 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Anyone else feel like there are not really going to be a lot of deals nor big time deals today? Just minor tweaks around the league.

Jake Fischer
@JakeLFischer
·
4m

I'll be surprised if they don't make some minor moves to dump the end of bench fodder to save on luxury tax.  But, maybe Wyc is going to spend the extra money because the team likes the chemistry in the locker room.

« Reply #89 on: February 08, 2024, 10:09:55 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I like the Tillman deal because it gives them some grit, some defense and some toughness they can mix and match with line ups.

Rebounding and defense are key contributions from him.