Author Topic: Celtics and Memphis trade idea - Tyreke Evans to Celtics  (Read 15612 times)

Re: Celtics and Memphis trade idea - Tyreke Evans to Celtics
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2018, 10:01:46 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
what are rumors about marc gasols availability?

can we trade they guy we sign with DPE right away?

Gasol and Reke would put us over any team

No. That option was gone months ago.

« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2018, 06:46:53 AM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
Would like a trade that included j green as well
My idea is
Smart+yabu+18 bos pick for
Evans+green+ennis

Would have to pick up evans or ennis in a seperate deal for the pick, for it to work. Would cut memphis payroll by 7 mill and cut our hayward exception to around 5 mill

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2018, 01:40:08 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Don't even know much about Tyreke Evans..i think that means no
won't trade Smart for scrubs, he has value here
The 2010 ROY who has basically been a 16/5/5 guy his whole career, who is closing in on 20/5/5 this year? You haven't heard much of him?

He is so much better than Smart it's not funny. Calling Evans a scrub in comparison to Smart is laughably misinformed
Lol i have heard about his name couple times but really nothing more(watching from 2008),
Is he good or just stat padding on bad teams?
(Smart single handedly win us game 3 vs Cavs in ECF, is he good enough to do that?)
He's a really good offensive talent, basically a 6'6" PG, but he got screwed by being on that rubbish Sacramento team that ruined nearly all their young talent.

I reckon he'd be perfect for our team, as he would be the ideal guy off the bench for us in terms of shot creation and defensive versatility. He can also take over games, similarly to Smart. However he isn't the defender that Smart is, and isn't as gritty.
That good, but what about his contract? Smart is likely to get ~1000 or even less with how he shoot now, we can't afford another big contract on someone off the bench
Smart is get 1000 whats?
1000M$
Wait what?

One bil-lion dollars.

(Removes finger from mouth.)

The secondhand rumor from my friend who has no idea what he's talking about is Smart and a 1st for Tyreke. I can neither verify it nor determine where he heard that. I'm just annoyed that the trade deadline rumor mill has been so quiet.

Mike

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2018, 01:50:02 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
The 2010 ROY who has basically been a 16/5/5 guy his whole career, who is closing in on 20/5/5 this year? You haven't heard much of him?

He is so much better than Smart it's not funny. Calling Evans a scrub in comparison to Smart is laughably misinformed
Lol i have heard about his name couple times but really nothing more(watching from 2008),
(Smart single handedly win us game 3 vs Cavs in ECF, is he good enough to do that?)
He's a really good offensive talent, basically a 6'6" PG, but he got screwed by being on that rubbish Sacramento team that ruined nearly all their young talent.

I reckon he'd be perfect for our team, as he would be the ideal guy off the bench for us in terms of shot creation and defensive versatility. He can also take over games, similarly to Smart. However he isn't the defender that Smart is, and isn't as gritty.
That good, but what about his contract? Smart is likely to get ~1000 or even less with how he shoot now, we can't afford another big contract on someone off the bench
Smart is get 1000 whats?
1000M$
Wait what?

One bil-lion dollars.

The secondhand rumor from my friend who has no idea what he's talking about is Smart and a 1st for Tyreke. I can neither verify it nor determine where he heard that. I'm just annoyed that the trade deadline rumor mill has been so quiet.

Mike

I want to hear more stuff too—but then again, most years I hear a lot of stuff, followed by the deafening silence of Danny doing nothing (or next to nothing) at the deadline, which annoys me even more greatly.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2018, 01:55:30 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

Smart is get 1000 whats?
1000M$
Wait what?

One bil-lion dollars.

Mike

I want to hear more stuff too—but then again, most years I hear a lot of stuff, followed by the deafening silence of Danny doing nothing (or next to nothing) at the deadline, which annoys me even more greatly.

Also true. And when was the last time a rumored trade became an actual trade?

Mike

« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2018, 01:57:40 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Smart is get 1000 whats?
1000M$
Wait what?

One bil-lion dollars.

Mike

Yep, and even when a trade is made, it happens literally 2 minutes before the deadline and is announced to us like 2 minutes after the deadline is supposedly over (3:02 EST), just like the Isaiah Thomas trade three years ago  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2018, 01:58:56 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Smart and a 2nd would be a great trade for Evans!!  I think we on this board highly overrate Smart.The Griz probably want more!!

Agreed, but Evans was only worth a couple million on a one-year contract -- that's his value. Considering both contracts and the Smart's RFA, it seems like its fair overall.

That WAS his value. Averaging nearly 20/5/5 will raise your value a tad.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2018, 02:20:15 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
I'd do some version of a Smart-for-Evans swap. At this point, our defense can afford to take a dip. Our offense cannot. In this NBA the No. 1 defense and No. 30 offense (for example) gets you nowhere.

Additionally, I think we in Boston give a bit too much value to flawed players who have huge heart and grit. Memphis was the definition of heart and grit for several seasons. They don't have any rings to show for it.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2018, 03:02:53 PM »

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
Mark Stein reported a few hours ago that the Sixers are after Evans as well, and Memphis wants a 1st rounder. Philly obviously has a lot higher of a pick, so they are probably not digging that idea. Unless Philly and Memphis are mutually wanting to make a deal like Luwawu&Mconnel for Evans, there isn't much else Philly can offer outside of that much higher pick then Boston will have.

We also have Yabu, who works salary-wise and Philly may want. I say either offer Larkin/Nader/2018 1st OR Yabu and and 2nd. No need to over pay for Evans. Memphis isn't going to pay him and they will be fine with taking some draft stock, young prospects in return.

Then we would still have the DPE and other moveable assets to get a higher contract expiring, and make full use of our DPE and smaller tradeable assets, while still maintaining any big chips for this off season.

I think Larkin/Nader/2018 1st to Memphis for Evans

then hit up LA and offer the DPE and a couple 2nd rounders for Randle. The Lakers aren't in a position to take on salary if they are truly trying to sign two max FA's. The DPE is the best offer, because we can send them draft assets "for free" and they still clear their cap.

Dallas is rumored to want Randle, so they could theoretically offer one of Noel/Curry/Harris, but their 1st is obviously off limits in such a trade, and I doubt they would even want to part with a high 2nd rounder to facilitate the trade.

« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2018, 04:52:16 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I don't want to trade Smart for Evans.  Next season, with Hayward we won't need Evans nearly as much and we won't have the cap space to sign him anyway.  So Evans is a rental.  Smart, although also in his last year of his contract, can be signed if we want to and will still be a useful player who can do things for the team that no other player can do.

This isn't so much about who is better, Smart or Evans, there is much more in play than just that. If you think we will just give up on Smart next season, then maybe a couple of months of Evans is better than a couple of months of Smart (I am not even so sure that is the case), but I think it is better to keep Smart so that we at least have the option to sign him after this season.

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2018, 10:16:27 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I don't want to trade Smart for Evans.  Next season, with Hayward we won't need Evans nearly as much and we won't have the cap space to sign him anyway.  So Evans is a rental.  Smart, although also in his last year of his contract, can be signed if we want to and will still be a useful player who can do things for the team that no other player can do.

This isn't so much about who is better, Smart or Evans, there is much more in play than just that. If you think we will just give up on Smart next season, then maybe a couple of months of Evans is better than a couple of months of Smart (I am not even so sure that is the case), but I think it is better to keep Smart so that we at least have the option to sign him after this season.

I agree with you on this, however if we are entertaining the idea of trading Smart, and getting Evans I came up with a 3 team trade that could work.

OKC has a few lower expiring contracts like Collison, Felton, and 1 or 2 other end of the bench guys plus someone like Grant on a multiyear low contract that would make a 3 team trade work.  OKC could really use a player like Smart.

So an idea I have is:

Smart to OKC

Evans, one of those expirings that will be immediately waived, and some sort of protected future first pick from OKC to Boston.

2 of those expirings or even someone like Jerami Grant from OKC plus our 2018 1st round pick to Memphis.

Seems fair.  We get the better player but is almost certainly a rental so we end up with most likely better future 1st round pick while giving up our own.

Memphis gets their 1st round pick, and maybe a lower end prospect from OKC that they can hold onto.

OKC gets a strong chance to retain Smart with RFA status.

« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2018, 10:59:53 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619

Go 1/7 for 3 and take game winning shot attempts? j/k I enjoy a good Smart fan ribbing :)

In all seriousness what is it Smart does that other NBA players cant or wont? Maybe 2-3 seasons ago we could all point to hey Smart can cover 1-3 no one else on roster can do that! But we have a handful of guys who can switch 2-4 now AND aren't a negative on the offensive end.

Smart served a purpose as a utility knife player during a rebuild who has regressed with better players around him this season.
ok fine

« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2018, 04:27:30 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Go 1/7 for 3 and take game winning shot attempts? j/k I enjoy a good Smart fan ribbing :)

In all seriousness what is it Smart does that other NBA players cant or wont? Maybe 2-3 seasons ago we could all point to hey Smart can cover 1-3 no one else on roster can do that! But we have a handful of guys who can switch 2-4 now AND aren't a negative on the offensive end.

Smart served a purpose as a utility knife player during a rebuild who has regressed with better players around him this season.

One example jumps to mind. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz00F8r5s4c
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2018, 04:46:22 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

That's great and all but it's still not worth a multi year $12 mil per contract unfortunately.

« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2018, 05:48:33 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

That's great and all but it's still not worth a multi year $12 mil per contract unfortunately.

I think bringing that level of effort every night combined with his skills as a defensive player, his playmaking ability, age, and leadership on the court make him worth $12 mil a year.

Probably not more than that, though.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008