Author Topic: before there was CelticsBlog...  (Read 17667 times)

before there was CelticsBlog...
« on: August 27, 2009, 04:17:21 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
there was CelticsRant

I cringe to share this (again), but what the hey

http://web.archive.org/web/20021207210416/sportsrant.net/celticsrant/index.htm

if anyone still reading this blog can prove that they read this old site (back in 2000-01) I'll nominate you for HOF status based on that fact alone
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Re: before there was CelticsBlog...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 04:40:48 PM »

Offline dooyork

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 42
Speaking of old Celtics fora, is there anyone here who used to frequent the ESPN Celtics page back in the late '90s?  Around 98-99 before they discovered blogs, it was probably about the only place to discuss the Celtics online I would guess.  For a while in the 98-99 season, there was a Milwaukee-fan troll named Buckshot, who came on all the time and talked a lot of crap about how Ray Allen was better than Ron Mercer (not sure why he thought that was a rivalry).  Ring a bell with anyone?  Thanks to the ESPN Celtics forum, I was able to learn how many games Dwayne Schintzius would be inactive so he could attend his grandmother's funeral.  Ah, the internets.
Double rainbow all the way

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 04:44:55 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Who's that guy in the "return to the rafters" movie?
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 05:00:11 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Celticsblog is the only forum i participate in. There are so many good (or at least entertaining) opinions floating around on here!

Not to mention all breaking news on other sites instantly arrives here.  ;D

thanks everyone for making this such a fun site!!

....never saw celticsrant though...

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 05:01:22 PM »

Offline CelticPride18

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 29

SexyScottish

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 05:20:02 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
The ESPN celtics forum was pretty violent.

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 05:41:51 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Where's that?

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 06:55:48 PM »

Offline Bent

• Author
  • Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8
I remember reading a live blog by Bassett on Sportsrant.net where he ripped on U2 and talked about making apple crisps with his girlfriend!

I think that was in 2004 though (and I'm not after a nomination to the hall of fame...whatever that is).

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 07:00:26 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey

Where's that?

Actually, it's off topic. The DVD, it features a celticsblog member. I'm curious who that is...

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 09:59:35 PM »

Offline BBS

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 11

Where's that?

Actually, it's off topic. The DVD, it features a celticsblog member. I'm curious who that is...

The guy in it is Mike Munger aka Sexy Scottish. I am very tight with that guy as we have chatted many times on CSNNE and CSL he is a true fan and loves his C's. . . . He knows me and many other might now me as KINGSHAMROCK from twitter or Brian from Maine aka Bubba on CSNNE.

Back to the before the Celtics Blog. I used to go to the Boston Globe Chat as that was the only place for a while to get your Celtics talk. That is where I got the handle BBS from anyone who ever was on the Globe chat back then knows what BBS stands for.Those where some great years on that site. Calling WEEI and giving shout outs to the Globe Chatters. Those were the days. I then when to the MEANGREEN FOURM once that Globe stoped the Chat. Then I came here. I still think the Globe Chat was some of the best times I have had talking Celtics. I think the quickness of the Chat format is better than the Blog format. I still don't know why more people don't use the chat room on the Celtics Blog other than on game nights. The Celtics Blog is all I know now for my celtics news other than Twitter.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 10:08:52 PM by Roy Hobbs »

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 11:03:03 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
you know, I never got a copy of that DVD - I wonder where I can pick one up
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 11:03:55 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Amazon.com has it for like $12.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 11:04:46 PM »

Offline BBS

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 11

You can get one at Wal Mart thats where I got mine anyway. 14 bucks what a deal

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 01:08:26 AM »

Offline PierceMVP08

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
  • And the Truth shall set you free
Speaking of old Celtics fora, is there anyone here who used to frequent the ESPN Celtics page back in the late '90s?  Around 98-99 before they discovered blogs, it was probably about the only place to discuss the Celtics online I would guess. 

Man, I used to love the ESPN boards.  I was only about 13 or so when I discovered them and I would talk some smack myself.  I distinctly remember there being trolls from the Cleveland board who loved talking about how we gave them Andre Miller.  Every time he had a good game, they would be on the celtics board.  Don't exactly remember what the trade was but i think we gave them a pick that eventually turned into miller. 

Good times on that board though.  I don't even remember when they took it off... I remember being their during that 2002 run. 

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 07:11:03 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
Speaking of old Celtics fora, is there anyone here who used to frequent the ESPN Celtics page back in the late '90s?  Around 98-99 before they discovered blogs, it was probably about the only place to discuss the Celtics online I would guess. 

Man, I used to love the ESPN boards.  I was only about 13 or so when I discovered them and I would talk some smack myself.  I distinctly remember there being trolls from the Cleveland board who loved talking about how we gave them Andre Miller.  Every time he had a good game, they would be on the celtics board.  Don't exactly remember what the trade was but i think we gave them a pick that eventually turned into miller. 

Good times on that board though.  I don't even remember when they took it off... I remember being their during that 2002 run. 

You can still I sift through the garbage known as the ESPN message boards: http://boards.espn.go.com/boards/mb/mb?sport=nba