Author Topic: Professional Baskelball player gets banned for a season  (Read 14362 times)

Professional Baskelball player gets banned for a season
« on: October 20, 2009, 07:46:38 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
from yahoo:

"we've been dragging our feet when it comes to delivering you quality international basketball news recently, which is why it gives me great pleasure to inform you of the following:

Wynne Arboleda, a player in the esteemed Philippine Basketball Association, has been suspended without pay for the rest of the 2009-10 season after attacking a fan.

That's right, Arboleda, a guard for the Burger King Whoppers — why are you laughing, Wendy? — channeled his inner-Ron Artest during a game against Smart-Gilas on Friday night.

The nine-year PBA veteran assaulted a fan, Alain Katigbak, after the latter shouted profane words directed at him following his second flagrant foul.

Thankfully, fans, players and refs broke it up before Jermaine O'Neal(notes)-like haymakers could get involved.

Anyway, after the jump, video of what some people are calling "The Malevolent Meltdown in Manila." j.e. skeets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQhiBv92hdU&feature=player_embedded

this is sad news for the declining philippine basketball.

arboleda, being a professional player and the team captain at that shouldve known better. fans would be fans.

heres the link to the article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Filipino-basketball-player-banned-for-season-aft?urn=nba,196813

Re: Professional Baskelball player gets banned for a season
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 08:15:48 AM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Burger King, KFC, American fast food is all over this place.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 08:21:56 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Yeah, sad to see an incident like this, but it's no sadder than when it happens right here. And by the way, I've lived there for most of the last year, and Philippines Basketball is NOT "declining" in ANY way ... not remotely!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 08:26:59 AM by Bahku »
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 12:46:58 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
it is declining in the sense that the phils was once an superpower in asian basketball. in the 90s they started placing 3rd, then 4th... then by the time 2k hits, they were always eliminated

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 12:52:24 AM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
Top teams in this league.

1.Burger King
2.Arby's
3.Jack in the Box
4.Domino's

I really think Arby's is going to win it all, has to be that bronco berry sauce, can't lose if ya got that.

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 02:51:39 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

1.Burger King
2.Arby's
3.Jack in the Box
4.Domino's

I really think Arby's is going to win it all, has to be that bronco berry sauce, can't lose if ya got that.

Huh? What league are you talking about? The top teams in the PBA are Alaska Aces, (with Willie Miller they will win it all), Genebra Kings, Trapang Texters (Talk N Text), Realtors (Santa Lucia), and the Energy Boosters (Barako Bull) ... maybe San Migual Beermen and TJ Giants (Pure Foods Hot Dogs), but I don't think BK is as good as everyone thinks ... too weak on defensive assignments and not a deep enough bench, and I don't see the Tigers, Painters or Smart Gilas going too far this year, either ... just not the same level of talent.

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 03:31:35 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!

1.Burger King
2.Arby's
3.Jack in the Box
4.Domino's

Huh? What league are you talking about? The top teams in the PBA are Alaska Aces, (with Willie Miller they will win it all), Genebra Kings, Trapang Texters (Talk N Text), Realtors (Santa Lucia), and the Energy Boosters (Barako Bull) ... maybe San Migual Beermen and TJ Giants (Pure Foods Hot Dogs), but I don't think BK is as good as everyone thinks ... too weak on defensive assignments and not a deep enough bench, and I don't see the Tigers, Painters or Smart Gilas going too far this year, either ... just not the same level of talent.

He was joking. They really have a team named the BK Whoppers, though?

God, i hate shameless marketing. Seeing a sweaty guy wearing your logo does not make me want to eat a BK burger.

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 03:40:26 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

1.Burger King
2.Arby's
3.Jack in the Box
4.Domino's

He was joking. They really have a team named the BK Whoppers, though?

God, i hate shameless marketing. Seeing a sweaty guy wearing your logo does not make me want to eat a BK burger.

Yeah ... BK Whoppers ... that's why I thought he was serious. You have to realize what a very poor country the Philippines is, and that in order to get funding for any kind of basketball/professional sports, they will accept sponsorship from wherever they can get it. Fast food is also VERY popular there, because most of the citizens are extremely poor, and anything American for an affordable price is a huge treat. It's not "shameless marketing" at all, but merely people who want to watch and play basketball, taking the support from anywhere they can get it. (I'm also not big on jokes aimed at the Philippines or it's people) :)

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 03:55:18 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
The security did nothing, he landed like 5 punches after they grabbed him. What the hell?

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 05:12:09 AM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
He should be banned for life.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 07:09:47 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
i dunno im a big fan of Smart Gilas. sure theyre not as talented as the professional players, seeing as theyre composed mainly of college players or 1 year removed from college.

when i was a kid i used to watch the PBA every single game. but now, not anymore. the game has transformed into selfish and showboating kind. i only watch college hoops here. the talent may not be good, but its really really fun to watch. (especially if your school gets to be back to back champions  ;D)

alaska.. i respect their style, one of the few teams where teamwork can still be seen. (and im a big fan of my schoolmate LA tenorio)

about the team names, without such, theres no pba. without such backers its hard to maintain a league when most of your patrons cant even buy a general admissions ticket.

the names have actually become better. a few years ago Alaska Aces were Alaska Milkmen, Purefood TJ Giants were called Purefood tender juicy hotdogs, and Talk n Text tropang texters were the talk n text phone pals and so on.

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 07:11:54 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
im gona quote a comment from a reader..

"There's a lot of things that happened before that incident.
1. The opponent of Burger King was Smart Gilas which is the new National Team composed of the best college players in the Philippines. The reason why the next National Team is composed of college players is because the PBA will stop sending its pros for future national teams. The new National Team is called Smart Gilas because Smart is a telecoms company that's the primary sponsor for the new National team.
2. The Head coach of Burger King (Yeng Guiao) was the recent head coach of the Philippine team composed of pros.
3. Burger King and Smart Gilas had a tug of war on Japeth Aguilar, a center who played for Western Kentucky University. Aguilar was forced by the coach of Burger King/previous National Team to join the PBA draft as a condition for him to play for the National Team composed of pros.
4. After the draft, Aguilar decided to not join the PBA because he wanted to still play for the new National Team. There's no PBA penalty if a drafted player decides not to play for the team. But the owners of Burger King threatened to ask for a lifetime ban.
5. Due to the recent flooding from a storm, a benefit exhibition game between the new National Team (composed of college players) and the previous National Team (composed of pros happened). The college players beat their professional counterparts by 29 points. Aguilar played for the new NT, even though he was a member of the previous team too.
6. The owner owner of Smart Gilas also owns a PBA team. So they engineered a trade that sent Aguilar from Burger King to his pro team. And then he released Aguilar to Smart Gilas.
7. Apparently, Yeng Guiao resented what happened and he sent his players to be extremely physical on the new NT selection. Imagine this, four flagrant fouls in the first quarter alone.
8. The fans, who were probably 99% cheering for Smart Gilas over Burger King were irked by the hard fouls made by the Burger King players and were very vocal in their displeasure. Arboleda resented the foul words and charged one of the fans."

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 08:59:24 AM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
I think when people talk about the 'shameless marketting' it isn't directed at the teams or playes, but the companies.  I mean, if Burger King went out and bought the Celtics, and changed their name to the BK Celtics, I would never in my life buy another burger king burger, because that seems shameless.  But if they bought the Cs and then had a bunch of Celtics hamburger commercials and ads and stuff, that would be expected.

And it does happen over here in smaller leagues... the New York RedBull in the MLS for example.  It's shameless on their part.

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 08:17:12 PM »

Offline mrkelly

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2

1.Burger King
2.Arby's
3.Jack in the Box
4.Domino's

I dunno, I've got my money on the underdogs -- Church's Chicken.

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 08:29:46 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Wow..Thrilla in Manila. Sad.