Author Topic: Pistons are worse than the Clippers  (Read 10179 times)

Pistons are worse than the Clippers
« on: April 20, 2008, 10:06:53 PM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
Watching the C's game as all of us beautiful geniuses heard corny jackass Torico talk about the "huge surprise Sixers", talking about making a lesson from and paying attention to Philly beating the Pistons and not letting up. First of all shut up,  you're boring, corny and undereducated. Second of all, last week when someone asked who was going to break out this first round I said it'd be Andre Miller and A Iguodala, not trying to look smart, just saying it was no fluke. 2-2 regular season, they match up well, Pistons are big, athletic and strong and so are the 6ers, there's always a 1st round upset and this one CAN happen. No disrespect to the Pistons, it's a matchup thing, not a lack of respect. If it doesn't go 6 I'll be surprised, if the 6ers win I won't flinch. I'm more scared of Big Z and the Cavs than I am the Pistons, if you want to call the expectation of dominance being scared that is...
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

Re: Pistons are worse than the Clippers
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 10:21:05 PM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
Watching the C's game as all of us beautiful geniuses heard corny jackass Torico talk about the "huge surprise Sixers", talking about making a lesson from and paying attention to Philly beating the Pistons and not letting up. First of all shut up,  you're boring, corny and undereducated. Second of all, last week when someone asked who was going to break out this first round I said it'd be Andre Miller and A Iguodala, not trying to look smart, just saying it was no fluke. 2-2 regular season, they match up well, Pistons are big, athletic and strong and so are the 6ers, there's always a 1st round upset and this one CAN happen. No disrespect to the Pistons, it's a matchup thing, not a lack of respect. If it doesn't go 6 I'll be surprised, if the 6ers win I won't flinch. I'm more scared of Big Z and the Cavs than I am the Pistons, if you want to call the expectation of dominance being scared that is...

interesting...i never noticed about the match-up of the pistons-76ers, i thought the pistons would take the series without too much problem, but now that you mention it....good point...and i hope 76ers do win this series, just because one of my mate said pistons would win the east
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 11:58:10 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
detroit wasn't mentally into this one...i have no idea how that could happen, but it was fairly obvious. 

rasheed wallace, i'm afraid, just doesn't get it.  i would NEVER want him on my team because he's a flake...i'd love to see the sixers take them out because it would be awfully funny.

but it's only one game and these things can get turned around pretty quickly.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 12:14:35 AM »

Offline threzd

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 12
Well personally I think that ever since Flip Saunders replaced Larry Brown as coach, the Pistons have been slowly declining. Their players are good enough to keep competing, but I don't think they'll ever win a championship with Flip.

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 12:38:14 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I'm absolutely thrilled that the Pistons lost, and I hope they get trounced in four ... but I'd say it's a bit premature to be putting a toe-tag on them. This is a team that has overcome many, many such obstacles, and they know very well what the pressure of the playoffs is. Like I said, I will be psyched if they go fishing after this series, but I learned long ago not to "count these chickens before they hatch".

I'm not trying to throw water on anyone's flame here, but of all the teams in the NBA to take for granted, or close the book on too soon, Detroit is NOT one of them. Hopefully we can meet back here in a few more games, and I can (happily) admit I was wrong, but I think I'll wait a while myself, before counting these Pistons out.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 01:13:10 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
I'm absolutely thrilled that the Pistons lost, and I hope they get trounced in four ... but I'd say it's a bit premature to be putting a toe-tag on them. This is a team that has overcome many, many such obstacles, and they know very well what the pressure of the playoffs is. Like I said, I will be psyched if they go fishing after this series, but I learned long ago not to "count these chickens before they hatch".

I'm not trying to throw water on anyone's flame here, but of all the teams in the NBA to take for granted, or close the book on too soon, Detroit is NOT one of them. Hopefully we can meet back here in a few more games, and I can (happily) admit I was wrong, but I think I'll wait a while myself, before counting these Pistons out.

Yeah, it ain't over till the overly obese woman (aah, how PC)
sings! I do hope, though, that this series goes 7 games.

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 01:24:23 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
From where does the Clipper connection come?
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 06:12:42 AM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160

If I remembered writing that post in the first place I'd tell you, too many green beers, I just woke up. I just hate the Pistons and anything negative to say about them seems about right to me, I'm sure we all agree. Cheers, huge win.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 07:45:12 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
All Sunday's game means is the Sixers won't get swept, frankly.

I'm afraid the Pistons aren't quite as hungry as the talking dogs would have us believe. Bet their hunger has been ratcheted up a bit now.

Wouldn't get too excited about this one.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 08:03:03 AM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

I agree with this. I think Detroit will still win in 6 games. But I also think it shows that Detroit hasn't got the heart needed to win it all anymore.
How many "great" teams have as many problems and slip ups in the playoffs as Detroit has had over the last few years?
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 08:30:05 AM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
wallace billups prince and hamilton dont have heart...?

i'd like to see philly finish em cause they will be a problem for us down the road...they took philly lightly...not goin stronger to the bucket and hittin those layups...missin freethrows...thats one thing we wont see d pistons do next game..flip aint puttin up with it either..

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 08:30:06 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128

If I remembered writing that post in the first place I'd tell you, too many green beers, I just woke up. I just hate the Pistons and anything negative to say about them seems about right to me, I'm sure we all agree. Cheers, huge win.

I had my suspicions ;)
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 10:27:49 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Well personally I think that ever since Flip Saunders replaced Larry Brown as coach, the Pistons have been slowly declining. Their players are good enough to keep competing, but I don't think they'll ever win a championship with Flip.

This is a critical point.  The Pistons have been and are still a contender with Flip but definitely a half-step below what they were Brown at the helm.  Simply put, he put this team over the top; the man is a finisher.  Flip doesn't do that for them.

This isn't to say that the Pistons aren't dangerous or that they coudln't beat anybody in the East this year (they are and they could), but there is a noticeable difference between what this team is and what it used to be, and I'm with Threzd that a lot of that comes down to the guy on the sideline.

-sw

Edit: Also, amen to Bahku.  It's one game in a best-of-seven.  Worth holding our horses a bit with this group.

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008, 10:41:31 AM »

Offline MaineBleedsGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
The pistons were a prince jumper and a sheed layup away from winning/tying the game last night. I definitely give credit to the 6ers, and of course I'd love nothing more than to see the pistons get trounced, but I really don't think they were on their game last night and still almost won it. I was saying yesterday it wouldn't surprise me if phili won the series, but the smart money is still on detroit.

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008, 10:51:50 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Simmons was pointing some of this out on his podcast, and i agree, that detroit underprepares in a really annoying way. in simmons' words, they walk around all the time like they've won six titles, but they've won one. It's true, they are way too cocky, and not the good kind of confidence, the bad kind of cocky where they don't try as hard as they need to.