Author Topic: Al Jefferson (Official discusion thread for the 07/08 season)  (Read 41479 times)

Re: Al Jefferson (Official discusion thread for the 07/08 season)
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2007, 04:46:51 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200
Dear Al,

I miss you.  I hope everything is OK for you in the Twin Cities area.  Congratulations on your new contract, I hope you use some of that money for some long johns because I hear it gets cold out there this time of year. 

Hey I just wanted you to know how much we love you and how great you are and how we are not taking down any of our Al Jefferson posters - because we hate the Celtics front office for getting rid of you - especially Doc (even though he had the least to do with it - we just like to blame Doc for everything). 

By the way did you see that the Celtics are now one of the top 2-3 teams in the NBA and that KG is amazing.  I hope you come back to Boston soon, maybe when the Celts are deep in the playoffs and you have some free time.

warmly,
Celtic shut-ins

PS:  Make sure you take good care of John Lester and the other guys, hopefully they can come back too - perhaps when Johan is pitching in the playoffs.
I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2007, 05:29:01 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
  By bringing in Ray and KG, we have suddenly got excellence spewing out of every facet of the Boston Celtics.   We are a team reborn and one to take notice of.     

Well. I don't see too much excellence spewing out of the head coach.  Fortunately, KG and Shuttlesworth are such intelligent players that even Rivers may not be able to screw it up.

LarBird 33, everything you say about the Celtics in your post (which I did not quote in its entirety) is true.  The only question is, for how long?  The Celtics went for the here and now.  It's like trading all your best young prospects for Johann Santana, which (if the rumors are true) both the Red Sox and the Yankees are thinking about doing. To what extent do you mortgage the future for the present?  It's a dilemma that every GM faces in every sport. 

We may not know for 2 years whether or not Ainge did the right thing.

Well I'm under the belief that we had to take that leap to the forefront.  With the ESPN and shoe company sport culture completely alien to the Celtics... we HAD to do something to jump to the forefront.   Once it becomes clear the Celtics are a powerhouse franchise... I don't think they'll die off again.  Even in a few years when the stars are fading, I think we'll have the power and relevancy to make changes when needed and stay up there.  Players will want to come here in the coming years.  We have something legit to build on.

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2007, 05:42:23 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
  By bringing in Ray and KG, we have suddenly got excellence spewing out of every facet of the Boston Celtics.   We are a team reborn and one to take notice of.     

Well. I don't see too much excellence spewing out of the head coach.  Fortunately, KG and Shuttlesworth are such intelligent players that even Rivers may not be able to screw it up.

LarBird 33, everything you say about the Celtics in your post (which I did not quote in its entirety) is true.  The only question is, for how long?  The Celtics went for the here and now.  It's like trading all your best young prospects for Johann Santana, which (if the rumors are true) both the Red Sox and the Yankees are thinking about doing. To what extent do you mortgage the future for the present?  It's a dilemma that every GM faces in every sport. 

We may not know for 2 years whether or not Ainge did the right thing.

Well I'm under the belief that we had to take that leap to the forefront.  With the ESPN and shoe company sport culture completely alien to the Celtics... we HAD to do something to jump to the forefront.   Once it becomes clear the Celtics are a powerhouse franchise... I don't think they'll die off again.  Even in a few years when the stars are fading, I think we'll have the power and relevancy to make changes when needed and stay up there.  Players will want to come here in the coming years.  We have something legit to build on.

Maybe.  Or more likely, the Celtics will be a one-shot wonder like the Miami Heat, who have no chance to win another championship with Shaq in decline and in fact will be lucky even to make the playoffs this year.

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2007, 06:27:08 PM »

Offline lanhamc

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
It is kind of sad seeing Al in a different color. :-\

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2007, 08:12:47 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Big Al had a couple nasty one handed sledge hammer slams the other night against the Mavs.

I wish they could post those clips.

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2007, 09:00:21 AM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1772

Or more likely, the Celtics will be a one-shot wonder like the Miami Heat, who have no chance to win another championship with Shaq in decline and in fact will be lucky even to make the playoffs this year.

Brickowski, I respectfully disagree. There is no way in hell that you can compare the current Cs with the Heat.  Shaq is a 350lb often injured, soon to be 36 year old, who while he can still be dominant once in a while, he can't be on a regular basis.  Besides Wade, IMO they don't have championship caliber players.  On the other hand, while PP, KG and RA are getting older, they arguably have not peaked and could still be dominant for 2-4 years.  Also, the Cs have a budding star, IMO, with their 21 year old pg and a decent starting 22 year old center.  I just can't see them as "a one-shot wonder like the Miami Heat".
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 09:06:59 AM by Silas »
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2007, 09:25:15 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
Well, let's see where the Celtics are 3 years from now.  Right now they are hitting on all cylinders.  At some point their three "30-something" stars will begin to decline and we'll see what happens then.  How will they reload? 

Their draft picks will be very late first rounders, so they probably won't be able to do it that way, although Ainge has done a good job with late first round picks. 

Some teams reload by moving their veteran stars to contending teams at the deadline in exchange for expirings and licks, but the Celtics have historically not operated that way.  For example, they probably should have traded Parish and McHale in 1991 or 1992, but they did not.

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2007, 09:30:28 AM »

Offline DivingCowens

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Pride, Baby. Pride!
Well, let's see where the Celtics are 3 years from now.  Right now they are hitting on all cylinders.  At some point their three "30-something" stars will begin to decline and we'll see what happens then.  How will they reload? 

Their draft picks will be very late first rounders, so they probably won't be able to do it that way, although Ainge has done a good job with late first round picks. 

"30 something"... please stop recycling what you read in the NY Post.  Ray's 32, KG's 31, & PP is 30.... when did 30 become old?  32 even?  Get over this BS.

As for the draft picks, yeah, late draft picks are worthless and there is no way AInge could get solid talent in those spots..... oh wait.... Ryan Gomes, BBD, etc etc. 

This team has a 5 year window and during that time, Boston will become more attractive to free agents and the draft will not be as necessary to keep the momentum.

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2007, 09:35:36 AM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
From Brickowski:     Reply with quoteQuote

Some teams reload by moving their veteran stars to contending teams a the deadline in exchange for expirings and licks, but the Celtics have historically not operated that way.  For example, they probably should have traded Parish and McHale in 1991 or 1992, but they did not.
Brick, this has always been the history of the Celtics. A great run, retirements, 2 off years, high draft picks and other pickups, and another competetive team for ten years. The difference is that you can no longer rebuild a team after a great run. No more minor leagues (4 college years), new rules, etc. This will happen to the Spurs and Suns soon, Detroit is on it's way, Miami is already on it's way to oblivion. What should the alternative be. We've already seen it. Let's enjoy the fun now and deal with the rebuilding when it's over. Also, that's part of Red's legacy--Loyalty to players who gave their all for the team. You could add Bird to Parish and McHale, but those players wanted to retire as Celtics. The team knew what would happen when they retired, but it's LOYALTY. One of the reasons why players used to want to play here. That's what Danny has been trying to bring back.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 09:47:58 AM by TrueGreen »

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2007, 09:51:57 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
The Spurs are already reloading from Europe.  Tiago Splitter will be a very nice addition to their roster next year.  Then Duncan will take a year off with an injury, they will lose 65 games, and reload via the draft.

For example, in 2009 there are at least three potential franchise players likely coming out: Ricky Rubio, Greg Monroe and DeAndre Jordan.

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2007, 10:33:28 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..

"30 something"... please stop recycling what you read in the NY Post.  Ray's 32, KG's 31, & PP is 30.... when did 30 become old?  32 even?  Get over this BS.

As for the draft picks, yeah, late draft picks are worthless and there is no way AInge could get solid talent in those spots..... oh wait.... Ryan Gomes, BBD, etc etc. 

This team has a 5 year window and during that time, Boston will become more attractive to free agents and the draft will not be as necessary to keep the momentum.

Logical ramblings on Celticsblog?  Can't be.  Thanks for this post.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2007, 10:38:07 AM »

Offline Cullain

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 34
  • 34 + 20 + 5 = 17
The Heat got a championship.  That's what you play for.  All in all, I think I'd rather root for the Heat then the Mavs, who have had a good team for a long time now, but can't seem to win it.  But the Heat aren't a great comparison anyway.  They are in a completely untenable cap/tax situation.  The C's are still being relatively smart with their money.  You're right, of course, about the Spurs.  But then again, their Euro players only look so good playing with Tim Duncan.  Put them next to a very good PF(Big Al, a healthy Elton Brand) and I think you'd see those Spurs sturggle, and not look quite so smart.

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2007, 10:43:16 AM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
Brick, Once Duncan and Ginobli are gone the Spurs are toast. Parker cannot carry the team. Splitter will not make them competitive by himself and their high draft choice will be a high schooler playing with other probable high schoolers at that time. They will become last year's Celtics, this year's T'Wolves, Sonics, Portland, etc. This is the future of the NBA's good teams. There are no more Joe Barry Carroll for Robert Parish and the #3 pick deals anymore. The only way to get good players in the future will be to do what the C's did, get older players from teams who are doing what you suggested before, trading older players to reduce salaries and rebuild by going young. Let's see how long it takes the T'Wolves to become competitive. Would James Posey have wanted to go to the T'Wolves or Celtics this year. Luckily he even chose the C's over the Nets. That type of player will want to go to a team competing for a championship, not a rebuilding Spurs team. And When our guys retire the same will happen to us. We cannot gradually infuse enough good talent to remain really competitive once GPA retire.

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2007, 10:54:35 AM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
I didn't at first, but I now totally agree with and thank Danny Ainge for doing what he did this summer, despite the fact that I loved Al Jefferson. The one thing I'm really annoyed with Danny about is that now we are wanted on national TV. Last nite's TNT broadcast was terrible. So much talking about nothing and all the switching to other places. I just want Mike and Tommy to do all the games. But that's the price we fans pay.

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2007, 11:18:21 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
Brick, Once Duncan and Ginobli are gone the Spurs are toast. Parker cannot carry the team. Splitter will not make them competitive by himself and their high draft choice will be a high schooler playing with other probable high schoolers at that time. They will become last year's Celtics, this year's T'Wolves, Sonics, Portland, etc. This is the future of the NBA's good teams. There are no more Joe Barry Carroll for Robert Parish and the #3 pick deals anymore. The only way to get good players in the future will be to do what the C's did, get older players from teams who are doing what you suggested before, trading older players to reduce salaries and rebuild by going young. Let's see how long it takes the T'Wolves to become competitive. Would James Posey have wanted to go to the T'Wolves or Celtics this year. Luckily he even chose the C's over the Nets. That type of player will want to go to a team competing for a championship, not a rebuilding Spurs team. And When our guys retire the same will happen to us. We cannot gradually infuse enough good talent to remain really competitive once GPA retire.

I'm not so sure.  It is possible to rebuild on the fly-- with some luck.  San Antonio did it once, and they can do it again.  No, Splitter won't make them a contender, but he's a valuable piece, and Parker is only 25.  Ginobilli is the same age as Pierce.

The luck is in getting that special young player, like Tim Duncan or LeBron James, and Ricky Rubio may well be that kind of player.

We're all speculating here.  Sure, it's harder to relaod now, with 30 teams in the league, than it used to be. But the really good GMs, like Colangelo and R.C. Buford, will manage to do it somehow.