Author Topic: Gordo looking good  (Read 16362 times)

Re: Gordo looking good
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2020, 09:10:34 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
Hope Gordo enjoys money and stat padding over re-building an NBA legacy because he ain’t sniffing anything playoffs relayed with that mess in Charlotte.
Sounding a touch salty

I mean, hes not wrong. Gordon basically said in his press conference he went there because he wanted a bigger role not to mention no other team was offering him 30million per year.

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2020, 09:58:42 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
If I got offered to be on a team where I could be first option vs 3rd, I would take that. My personality would want to be top dog.

Same in the real world, if a company wanted me and offered me less money to be third on the chain of command vs leaving for a company who would put me at the top and on top of this, offer me more money, I would leave and take that bigger role. Once again, this is my personality. Just the same, if at my current place, they brought in 2 people higher than me and I was moved down the chain, I would leave as well for a bigger opportunity.

It is hard to fault anyone. This is not simply about money. It is about being somewhere you can have a larger role. For some people, winning is not everything but rather personal worth and what you want in a role is the most important thing.

Good for Gordon, as top dog, he should be back in the 20's. I hope he has a great season. i do not fault him for his choices but of course as a fan, I wish his desire for winning the finals outranked his desire for more responsibility but that is just not a realistic expectation from me.

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2020, 10:15:22 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Celts are better without GH

Just one too many of the same type of players on the court.   

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2020, 10:15:40 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
If I got offered to be on a team where I could be first option vs 3rd, I would take that. My personality would want to be top dog.

Same in the real world, if a company wanted me and offered me less money to be third on the chain of command vs leaving for a company who would put me at the top and on top of this, offer me more money, I would leave and take that bigger role. Once again, this is my personality. Just the same, if at my current place, they brought in 2 people higher than me and I was moved down the chain, I would leave as well for a bigger opportunity.

It is hard to fault anyone. This is not simply about money. It is about being somewhere you can have a larger role. For some people, winning is not everything but rather personal worth and what you want in a role is the most important thing.

Good for Gordon, as top dog, he should be back in the 20's. I hope he has a great season. i do not fault him for his choices but of course as a fan, I wish his desire for winning the finals outranked his desire for more responsibility but that is just not a realistic expectation from me.

Fair enough; people have to make their choices. To finish the analogy, I would add: you’d be leaving a company that is competing to be the very best, where you work with elite teammates and are still very, very well paid — in order to go to the bush leagues where you’ll lose again and again because the company isn’t very good and you can’t carry it by yourself. Also, that big salary they’re paying you is more than the company can really afford ($40M/year, when you include the deferred salary!) and limits their future. He’ll be a big dog in a small yard, and the other packs are going to take his lunch.

I agree with what I think you might be saying - he wanted the money and to get star treatment. He might find he doesn’t enjoy it as much as he thought he would.

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2020, 10:21:08 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I like that real world comparison. Contrarily, I've worked at my company for almost 11 years. When I started, we were just opening our 5th location. Cut to the end 2020, and we're about to open up our 26th location in the first quarter of 2021. We're regularly ranked as best in state and region, and we're getting athletes/patients from teams along the east cost and midwest. We're on the cusp of being a go to referral nationally. I've been recruited by smaller practices looking to replicate that success, but I'm not interested in bailing on something that was only a pipedream when I started here.

But sports and real life work aren't necessarily one in the same. Everyone has different priorities. Gordon prioritized money and spotlight over winning and that's okay.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2020, 10:30:32 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941

Fair enough; people have to make their choices. To finish the analogy, I would add: you’d be leaving a company that is competing to be the very best, where you work with elite teammates and are still very, very well paid — in order to go to the bush leagues where you’ll lose again and again because the company isn’t very good and you can’t carry it by yourself. Also, that big salary they’re paying you is more than the company can really afford ($40M/year, when you include the deferred salary!) and limits their future. He’ll be a big dog in a small yard, and the other packs are going to take his lunch.

I agree with what I think you might be saying - he wanted the money and to get star treatment. He might find he doesn’t enjoy it as much as he thought he would.

Yes, you bring up valid points. My confidence would probably lead me to think I could alter the new companies trajectory and get them back on the road to winning in the future. I was actually made an offer 3 times my current take home from a very large company that was established and chose to stay at a smaller company that I am in the process of growing. Money is not always everything as well. I love to lead and build from the ground up.

You are also right, he might not enjoy not competing for a title in the beginning. I would view it is a big challenge to right the ship under my command. I have no idea how he will view that task ahead of him.

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2020, 10:47:43 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
This is a bit of an aside, but I've never understood the criticism that Hayward is somehow redundant next to Brown and Tatum. Even if redundant just means "they have completely overlapping skills", it's simply not true. Hayward is a much better playmaker than either of our wings, so that's not true. Not only that, they play off each other really well.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2020, 10:49:55 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Goof for Hayward, he's gonna get exactly what he wanted.

1) The ability to be a featured guy.
2) A ton of money.

Of course he won't win much, but not a bad two things to have.

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2020, 10:58:44 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528

Yes, you bring up valid points. My confidence would probably lead me to think I could alter the new companies trajectory and get them back on the road to winning in the future. I was actually made an offer 3 times my current take home from a very large company that was established and chose to stay at a smaller company that I am in the process of growing. Money is not always everything as well. I love to lead and build from the ground up.

You are also right, he might not enjoy not competing for a title in the beginning. I would view it is a big challenge to right the ship under my command. I have no idea how he will view that task ahead of him.

Wish I had your confidence!  Nonetheless I've made many decisions that have prioritized work and living satisfaction over money in my 40+ years in the work world.  ENOUGH money matters -- A LOT of money, frankly, has never mattered to me, and things have worked out pretty well.  Not being in Gordon's head or having his life, it would be pretty unfair to judge his decisions.  Whether it's money, or better role, or better living situation for family, or avoiding cold, endless winters... it's his/family's preferences that matter and none of us really know his thinking process in this.   

I don't really care how well he does in Charlotte.  I care about what Danny does with the TPE.

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2020, 11:00:43 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Truly happy for him and wish him well.

Would not be surprised if he gets an All-Star appearance if he keeps this up and he's perfectly capable of doing just that.

I'll never understand the angst on here against him.....like he ate some babies while he was here in BOS, lol................

Dude has WINGS....always had them. He could not fully spread those wings here in BOS with our OTHER Young Eagles The Jays.

He got paid, will sniff his Utah-Level brilliance and should help CHA to a playoff spot or two eventually.

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2020, 11:10:05 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
Cleveland may be better than people think.  The young core, Sexton, Garland, Okoro, all played well and seem to fit.  And Drummond and Nance are only 27.  That has to be the youngest opening night starting 5 in the league.

Good for Gordon (and Terry Rozier for that matter).  I have no hard feelings with him.  I am glad we didn't drop $30M on him.  This is a salary cap league.  You need to spend judiciously.  I feel Gordon did all he could for the Celtics while he was here (Rozier too).  What more can you ask?  Now he is on another team.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 11:23:37 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2020, 11:21:26 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!
Don't hold any ill-will towards Hayward. Wish him the best in Charlotte.

Frankly I think it works out for all sides. Brown, Tatum and others get more opportunities and bigger roles which can allow them to grow. Hayward becomes the #1 option on a team and can also put up some numbers (and probably wins too).

Maybe Hayward really wanted Indiana but truthfully I'm still not as convinced that Indiana coveted him that much. They seemed to only go as high as 4/100M and seemed adamant about keeping Aaron Holiday and TJ Warren. Without 1 of those guys coming back and the lack of C's interest in Turner seemingly, it probably was never going to happen, and then CHA swooped in with 4/120M.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2020, 11:55:04 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
I guess his fractured finger didn’t hold him back much.

28 points, 7 assists, 4 3PTs in a loss to the Cavs.

Scary Terry had the best game of his career.  42 points, 10 threes made.

We all knew Gordo is a good player but he obviously doesn't care about winning.  He scored 28 and a teammate scored 42 and they still lost to the Cavs.  A top 5 losing team in the league.  I think you will see a tong of games like this.  By the end of the season will the weather in Charlotte and that last pay day be enough for Gordon to be happy?  I guess he'd rather be the man on a bad team then a borderline all star on a championship team.  He can average 50 a game and it won't change he's playing for a losing team that will continue to lose for years to come. 

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2020, 02:09:38 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I guess his fractured finger didn’t hold him back much.

28 points, 7 assists, 4 3PTs in a loss to the Cavs.

Scary Terry had the best game of his career.  42 points, 10 threes made.

We all knew Gordo is a good player but he obviously doesn't care about winning.  He scored 28 and a teammate scored 42 and they still lost to the Cavs.  A top 5 losing team in the league.  I think you will see a tong of games like this.  By the end of the season will the weather in Charlotte and that last pay day be enough for Gordon to be happy?  I guess he'd rather be the man on a bad team then a borderline all star on a championship team.  He can average 50 a game and it won't change he's playing for a losing team that will continue to lose for years to come.

Amazing how much you can take away from one game.

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2020, 02:44:15 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Truly happy for him and wish him well.

Would not be surprised if he gets an All-Star appearance if he keeps this up and he's perfectly capable of doing just that.

I'll never understand the angst on here against him.....like he ate some babies while he was here in BOS, lol................

Dude has WINGS....always had them. He could not fully spread those wings here in BOS with our OTHER Young Eagles The Jays.

He got paid, will sniff his Utah-Level brilliance and should help CHA to a playoff spot or two eventually.
I love the “wings” part of this post.  I believe that’s the reason that he left and I understand it and think he made the right decision.  I’d love to have him on the C’s but wish him the best in CHA.