Author Topic: Sox Release Tavarez  (Read 5720 times)

Sox Release Tavarez
« on: May 12, 2008, 03:23:37 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200
The Herald is reporting that the Red Sox have released pitcher Julian Tavarez

From the Herald:

Tavarez designated for assignment
By Rob Bradford  |   Monday, May 12, 2008  |  http://www.bostonherald.com  |  Boston Red Sox
Photo
Photo by Matt Stone

Julian Tavarez’ tenure with the Red Sox [team stats] appears to have come to an end.

The Sox today designated the 16-year veteran for assignment, essentially writing the pitcher’s ticket out of town. The Sox have 10 days to either trade Tavarez or assign him to waivers, but given the interest in Tavarez prior to the Sox’ move, it seems the pitcher will be moving on soon.

The Sox move was made to make room for first baseman Sean Casey, who was activated off the disabled list today.

Tavarez is 0-1 with a 6.57 earned run average in nine appearances for the Sox thus far this season. He pitched last night, giving up an unearned run in 1 1/3 innings of work.

This was Tavarez’ third season with the Sox, parts of which he both started and pitched in relief. His best season was 2006 when he went 5-4 with a 4.47 ERA. Last season he started 23 games, going 7-11 with a 5.15 ERA, but was left off the team’s postseason roster.

The Sox had recently been discussing a trade for Tavarez with the Colorado Rockies.
I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.

Re: Sox Release Tavarez
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 03:26:25 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
He was a fine mop up man and took the ball whenever asked.

Bye bye Julian

Off to Colorado?
Yup

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 03:32:08 PM »

Offline Nerf MVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
I guess that they decided Hansen was here for good. I'll miss Julian's directing traffic on ground balls and bowling comebackers to first. I'm not sure if Youk will, though.

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 08:51:02 PM »

Offline djbucky3

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
Good news bad news here... I mostly hate it when Tavarez comes into the game (one of my most hated Red Sox players) but we need to trade him for someone, not just release him, he wasn't the best pitcher, but he wasn't the worse and getting at least getting a new bat boy would be a good idea.

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 09:43:42 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I'd have preferred they'd lose that side-arm freak Lopez first ... at least Tavarez was effective! Jeesh!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *