Author Topic: Dumb trade ideas from NBA "experts".  (Read 3580 times)

Dumb trade ideas from NBA "experts".
« on: May 17, 2018, 01:59:07 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I am inspired by a David Thorpe tweet about what the Celtics should do.

@coachthorpe
Follow Follow @coachthorpe
More
Play a game with me. Say the Celts make it to the Finals and even win 1 or 2. Say Ainge wants this same core to grow together. So he moves Kyrie to the Lakers for Kuzma, Deng (who gets waived), and some picks. Then Hayward to Mavs for Powell, Barnes, picks. Lots of 6'8+ guys.

So I figure we should start a list of bad trade ideas by NBA "experts"

So whenever you see a talking head try (and fail badly) to play GM, post. 

Re: Dumb trade ideas from NBA "experts".
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 02:04:16 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

@coachthorpe
More
Play a game with me. Say the Celts make it to the Finals and even win 1 or 2. Say Ainge wants this same core to grow together. So he moves Kyrie to the Lakers for Kuzma, Deng (who gets waived), and some picks. Then Hayward to Mavs for Powell, Barnes, picks. Lots of 6'8+ guys.

I'm trying to figure out the logic behind that tweet, but I'm honestly stumped. Why would we trade our best players for okay players, bad contracts, and bad picks?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 02:04:16 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Wow. I didn't expect them to be that bad when I clicked on the topic.

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 02:05:04 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Those are two absolutely horrible trades. My goodness, taking on the contracts of Deng and Barnes would be Brooklyn/Gerald Wallace compensation-worthy. Instead we trade by far the best players/assets in the trades and receive essentially nothing back...yikes!

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 02:06:36 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

@coachthorpe
More

I'm trying to figure out the logic behind that tweet, but I'm honestly stumped. Why would we trade our best players for okay players, bad contracts, and bad picks?
Think of what you could do with that salary cap space (that the trade wouldn't even create)

You could bring in one or two good FAs?

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 02:07:18 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

@coachthorpe
More

I guess his logic is just get as many 6'8ish guys as you can. In that case, why waive Deng? He's perfect!

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 02:09:10 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
He kept digging the hole deeper too playing defense.

Basically he thinks Brown/Tatum are too good to be held back by Kyrie/Hayward so we need to preemptively blow up the team for cap space to extend Brown/Tatum.

Which, is

a) assuming a problem before it occurs
b) wasting two years of contending before the problem would manifest
c) even if you are trading Kyrie/Hayward awful value

Thorpe is an interesting guy to listen to about coaching players on developing and his experience with his clients, but is among the worst armchair gm/coaches

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 02:28:29 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

@coachthorpe
More

Think of what you could do with that salary cap space (that the trade wouldn't even create)

You could bring in one or two good FAs?

Even trading them to a team with open cap space (Philly?) and a top 10 pick would make more sense than this crap
I'm bitter.

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 02:59:46 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Thorpe is always an idiot about this stuff, but dang, that’s bad:

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 03:01:26 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
So the way I am reading this is that if this group gets a couple games off GSW, that Ainge should run with this team and get rid of Kyrie & Hayward. It's not important what he gets for them. The important part is that they're moved to free up room / cash for continuing development of Rozier, Brown, Smart, Tatum. Let's at least frame the problem right. He understands that these trades aren't getting value back. The problem is, there are far better cheap players to align with this core than the garbage that he thought of. We don't want Kuzma, Powell or anything like that. He'd at least have a leg to stand on if we're talking about Lauri Markkanen or Devin Booker.

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 03:01:26 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Basically he thinks Brown/Tatum are too good to be held back by Kyrie/Hayward so we need to preemptively blow up the team for cap space to extend Brown/Tatum.

Which, is

Thorpe is an interesting guy to listen to about coaching players on developing and his experience with his clients, but is among the worst armchair gm/coaches

I like the part where Brown and Tatum would be unhappy with a reduction in time and touches. 

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 03:04:58 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
My all-time favorite, from Peter May:

Here's a pair of trade scenarios the Celtics could explore: We know the Hornets want to get rid of Jamaal Magloire and that he wants out of New Orleans (along with everyone else on the roster). Would the Hornets package Magloire, George Lynch, and a future No. 1 for Pierce? Or for Pierce and Kendrick Perkins? The Celtics could then keep Magloire or turn around and trade him to Toronto for Eric Williams, Lamond Murray, and maybe a No. 1.

This would do two things. It would give the Celtics two big veteran locker room guys in Lynch and Williams, whose presence is essential on such a young team. With Gary Payton gone and Antoine Walker on the precipice, there's no experience on this team (Mark Blount is the oldest and Pierce and Raef LaFrentz have been in the NBA the longest). Yes, Pierce would be gone. But scoring was never a problem for the Celtics and it shouldn't be with next season's team. And maybe Ainge could extract a couple of picks in the deals.

My guess is that there won't be anything close to a fan rebellion if Ainge deals Pierce because the serious fan will understand why the deal had to be made. When Walker was traded, Ainge felt he had some explaining to do. With Pierce, whatever happens, the deal should be self-explanatory.

Pierce + Perk for Magloire + Lynch + future #1. Lol.

Peter May was such a tool. He was talented, but lazy and bitter for at least 10 to 15 years before retiring.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 03:09:24 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
They just want to make the Celtics worse and their favorite teams better

Nothing new

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 03:18:05 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236

Which, is

I like the part where Brown and Tatum would be unhappy with a reduction in time and touches.

Yeah, he mentioned Brown and Tatum's agents not liking the idea of playing behind Hayward and Irving next year. Pretty sure we're a couple years removed from the second best player in the NBA purposely joining a team that would limit his touches.

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 03:19:52 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Which, is

Yeah, he mentioned Brown and Tatum's agents not liking the idea of playing behind Hayward and Irving next year. Pretty sure we're a couple years removed from the second best player in the NBA purposely joining a team that would limit his touches.

The Starting five is Horford, Tatum, Brown, Hayward, and Kyrie.