Author Topic: NBA Season 2016-2017  (Read 357506 times)

Re: NBA Season 2016-2017
« Reply #1155 on: January 25, 2017, 11:44:44 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
https://twitter.com/CodyWesterlund/status/824465913693016064?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Uh oh, Butler becoming unhappy in Chicago?

https://twitter.com/MichaelVPina/status/824474039917957120?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw   ;D

https://twitter.com/McGrawDHBulls/status/824473073608982534?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Butler: “I want to play with guys that care, that play hard, that want to do well for this organization, that want to win games."
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 11:51:03 PM by jpotter33 »

« Reply #1156 on: January 25, 2017, 11:48:13 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
https://twitter.com/CodyWesterlund/status/824465913693016064?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/MichaelVPina/status/824474039917957120?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw   ;D

Oh wow, and apparently George is having some issues in Indy, too. Either of them would be great fits in green, though George certainly is a bit better fit with his shooting.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2017/01/24/paul-george-dont-think-booing-solution/97005944/

“They pay their money, their hard-earned money to watch us play. They got the right to do whatever they want," George said after practice Tuesday. "It doesn’t hurt me. It doesn’t hurt my feelings. Just know we work harder off of cheers than boos."

When asked after the 109-103 loss about the boos hurled at his team, George told reporters: “That’s Indy in general. We’ve been No. 1 in the East (in 2014) and lost a game at home and got booed. That’s just Indiana.”

Sure doesn't sound like someone wanting to re-up long-term in Indy, huh?

« Reply #1157 on: January 26, 2017, 12:28:34 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!

Oh wow, and apparently George is having some issues in Indy, too. Either of them would be great fits in green, though George certainly is a bit better fit with his shooting.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2017/01/24/paul-george-dont-think-booing-solution/97005944/

“They pay their money, their hard-earned money to watch us play. They got the right to do whatever they want," George said after practice Tuesday. "It doesn’t hurt me. It doesn’t hurt my feelings. Just know we work harder off of cheers than boos."

When asked after the 109-103 loss about the boos hurled at his team, George told reporters: “That’s Indy in general. We’ve been No. 1 in the East (in 2014) and lost a game at home and got booed. That’s just Indiana.”

Well to be fair that's Boston too lol.

Go on a 3 game losing streak like before tonight's win... And everyone in Boston loses their mind.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1158 on: January 26, 2017, 12:38:49 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith

Go on a 3 game losing streak like before tonight's win... And everyone in Boston loses their mind.

Have Boston fans booed the C's this year? I don't remember that.

« Reply #1159 on: January 26, 2017, 12:47:23 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 606

Kelly :D

« Reply #1160 on: January 26, 2017, 01:43:57 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Noel with 12 points, 12 rebs, 1 blk, and 1 stl in 24 minutes tonight.

This is what he'd give to the C's EVERY NIGHT, or at least close. I bet he would give us around 12 and 10 each night with around 2 blocks and over a steal each game.

We saw tonight how good Horford is when he has a mobile big next to him. Our defense and rebounding would be much, much better with someone like Noel. The only thing you'd be giving up is spacing that someone like JJ can provide that Noel can't.

His price will be higher though as a result.

Unless you expect to sign him this summer, in which you just have to hope Philly aren't willing to keep him (who knows, they might, they got cap space too).

What would you trade to acquire him at the deadline?

As much as I'd hate it personally, I'd probably be willing to give up Smart to get him, which should be more than enough since I can't imagine any other team beating that offer with the context he's in.

I just think with us getting a point guard in the draft, we'll have to move on from him or AB eventually. Might as well get Noel in the process if we can.

Philly probably has to go for it, too, because they're playing their way out of the better point guards in the draft, especially with LA looking like they'll keep their pick this year now. They could get someone like Monk in the mid-lottery, who would seemingly be a good fit with Smart in the backcourt. They'd have the making of a seriously elite defensive team between Embiid and Smart, too.

Stopped reading after I read "willing to give up Smart..."  :laugh:

If the C's will win anything in the future, Smart should be on the team.

I think the C's could keep IT/Smart/Bradley/FultzorBall and make it work.

I would give up Rozier + picks for future picks OR a serviceable player.

No way you can keep all four of those. One of Smart, Bradley, and IT has to go no matter what in the summer of 2018 anyways, so if we can get something out of it like a foundational piece in Noel while clearing up that jam, then we have to do it, even though Smart is my favorite player. Bradley might also be considered for that trade, too.

By the way, Noel just hit two free throws AND a midrange jumper to seal the game for Philly!
Woah there, noel is a foundational piece? If he is why are guys calling Smart as a role player? Imo they are around the same as prospects and we can actually give them a lesser package with something like Rozier+memphis 1st+LAC 1st due to his contract situation and positional logjam and still make it work. I'd rather trade smart or Bradley for a talented big in the draft , pair with noel for years to come in order to counter embiid
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #1161 on: January 26, 2017, 01:47:26 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17

yeah a few times,mostly due to rebounding

« Reply #1162 on: January 26, 2017, 01:57:53 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

This is what he'd give to the C's EVERY NIGHT, or at least close. I bet he would give us around 12 and 10 each night with around 2 blocks and over a steal each game.

We saw tonight how good Horford is when he has a mobile big next to him. Our defense and rebounding would be much, much better with someone like Noel. The only thing you'd be giving up is spacing that someone like JJ can provide that Noel can't.

Unless you expect to sign him this summer, in which you just have to hope Philly aren't willing to keep him (who knows, they might, they got cap space too).

As much as I'd hate it personally, I'd probably be willing to give up Smart to get him, which should be more than enough since I can't imagine any other team beating that offer with the context he's in.

I just think with us getting a point guard in the draft, we'll have to move on from him or AB eventually. Might as well get Noel in the process if we can.

Philly probably has to go for it, too, because they're playing their way out of the better point guards in the draft, especially with LA looking like they'll keep their pick this year now. They could get someone like Monk in the mid-lottery, who would seemingly be a good fit with Smart in the backcourt. They'd have the making of a seriously elite defensive team between Embiid and Smart, too.
theres not much point in Philly trading Noel for smart. They are better off keeping Noel.  They have been better than the Celtics this year and Noel is a key part of that.

« Reply #1163 on: January 26, 2017, 02:07:40 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

theres not much point in Philly trading Noel for smart. They are better off keeping Noel.  They have been better than the Celtics this year and Noel is a key part of that.
Seems like you should check the standings
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #1164 on: January 26, 2017, 02:28:10 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I have.

« Reply #1165 on: January 26, 2017, 02:37:28 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I have.
this year implies this season. Unless you wish to continue to feed your rep as a troll just say calendar year next time.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #1166 on: January 26, 2017, 02:48:08 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

I have.
this year implies this season. Unless you wish to continue to feed your rep as a troll just say calendar year next time.
...I joined recently and he's almost as bad as eja and coachbo
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #1167 on: January 26, 2017, 02:53:11 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I have.
If I meant this season, I would have said this season. 

This year, Boston is 7-4 including losses to Toronto, New York and Portland.     Philly is 9-3 including wins over Toronto, New York and Portland.   Philly's actually won 10 of their last 13 and have only lost one game with Embiid on the court during that stretch.  To be fair to us, it was a game against Boston in which a peak-health Celtic team that played all their top 5 guys 30+ minutes narrowly knocked off Philly by 4 points after Embiid fouled out in 26 minutes.  Philly is now a Top 10 defensive team for the season and has had the best defense in the league with Embiid on the court.  It is what it is. 

They have basically been even with us since December 8th.  They started surging when Noel returned to play consistent minutes on December 30th.   They won their last two games (Clippers and Bucks) without Embiid playing.  In those past two games Noel had 19 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 blocks, 2 steals with 8-10 shooting in 29 minutes against the Clippers... followed by 16 points, 13 rebounds, 1 block, 1 steal with 5-9 shooting in 28 minutes - including the game winning mid-range jumper against the Bucks. 

When you're talking about a team that is building it's identity around elite-level defense, Noel is a great fit behind the transcendent Embiid.  Long-term, he'd make sense there playing 20-25 minutes a night as a back up Center.  Elite team defense comes from the inside out.  Guard defense is a luxury that doesn't make nearly the same type of impact as having a goalie in the middle changing the game from inside.  Marcus Smart doesn't really make any sense on that team.  They don't need guard defense off the bench.  They need guys who can hit shots.  It makes more sense to keep Noel and play him 20-25 minutes than to have Smart take away minutes from their shooters for 15-20 minutes per night off the bench.  I really don't see it at all from Philly's perspective.   

Honestly, I imagine Boston has tried shipping out Smart for Noel for the past two years and Philly has turned them down.  Then this Summer, I think it probably flipped where Philly reluctantly called up and said, "hey, we changed our mind... we'll take Smart for Noel" to which Boston replied, "Yeah, about that... We're no longer interested"...    And as we head into the trade deadline I imagine Boston calling up to say, "Hey uh... actually on second thought, we'll do Smart for Noel" to which Philly will be like, "Nah... We good." 

It's just a bad fit.  It's magnified by the fact it might be difficult for Boston to keep Noel and still have max cap room to add a significant free agent.   It's less of a problem for Philly who has tons of cap space.  They can keep Noel and still have plenty of room to add a major player.   

My guess Philly has shifted it's stance and Okafor is the one most readily available.  I still think Okafor is an intriguing prospect who is clearly much better offensively than defensively at this point.  It's tough to really guess what he's worth.  He's got flaws, but it's fair to note that even this year he's statistically outperforming every single 2016 draftee.   You can't really write him off yet considering his natural talent and age.  Clearly his lack of elite defense and rebounding makes him less desirable to fans.  Ainge has clearly had interest over the past year, but who knows what he's offering at this point.  Even if Boston were willing to trade Marcus for Okafor, I still don't see how Marcus would fit with the construction of Philly's roster now and heading forward.   
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 03:02:00 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #1168 on: January 26, 2017, 02:57:34 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 606

Honestly, I imagine Boston has tried shipping out Smart for Noel for the past two years and Philly has turned them down.  Then this Summer, I think it probably flipped where Philly reluctantly called up and said, "hey, we changed our mind... we'll take Smart for Noel" to which Boston replied, "Yeah, about that... We're no longer interested"...    And as we head into the trade deadline I imagine Boston calling up to say, "Hey uh... actually on second thought, we'll do Smart for Noel" to which Philly will be like, "Nah... We good." 

Yes, Larry. Trading Smart will only be in your imagination.

« Reply #1169 on: January 26, 2017, 03:02:41 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Yes, Larry. Trading Smart will only be in your imagination.
I'm a fan of Marcus and still hold out hope he'll make a leap over the second half of the season, but he's clearly the most overrated player on this forum.  He's definitely available.  I don't think he has much trade value, though.  There just isn't a market for guards who can't shoot in this league.  And guard defense just doesn't matter as much as big man defense.  Nobody has ever built a great team defense around a guard.  That's just not how basketball works.