Author Topic: NBA Season 2018 - 2019  (Read 209294 times)

Re: NBA Season 2018 - 2019
« Reply #1665 on: March 30, 2019, 03:28:21 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Correct me if I'm wrong but as it currently stands...

The 7 win differential between the top seed and the 8th seed has to be a record of sorts historically. I mean teams are so stacked in the West that it bears notice that virtually every game and win counts for HC advantage that all remaining games are dog fights up to game 82.

Its almost given that the top 4 seeds will breeze in the playoffs but this Yr has that look that many upsets are in the making.. And yes I find the Warriors currently as vulnerable as any one.

« Reply #1666 on: March 30, 2019, 06:53:49 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I liked this stat:

Steph Curry just had his 8th career game with 11 three pointers or more. Everyone else in NBA History ? 8 games.

Steph has as many 11+ three pointer games individually as the rest of the players in NBA History do collectively.

« Reply #1667 on: March 30, 2019, 09:55:33 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
Correct me if I'm wrong but as it currently stands...

The 7 win differential between the top seed and the 8th seed has to be a record of sorts historically. I mean teams are so stacked in the West that it bears notice that virtually every game and win counts for HC advantage that all remaining games are dog fights up to game 82.

Its almost given that the top 4 seeds will breeze in the playoffs but this Yr has that look that many upsets are in the making.. And yes I find the Warriors currently as vulnerable as any one.
In 2009-10, the top 8 teams in the West finished within 7 games of each other and they all had 50+wins.  Same thing in 2007-08. 

« Reply #1668 on: March 30, 2019, 10:00:49 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I guess Lebron didn't get the Lakers' tank memo. 

Props to him.

« Reply #1669 on: March 30, 2019, 01:21:46 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
I think it would be fabulous if the Warriors and Thunder played in the first round, as I think the Thunder match-up pretty well with the Warriors such that they will have to work in that series.  They could then face Houston in round 2 before Denver in the WCF.  A gauntlet like that and they could be tired an vulnerable in the Finals if they make it through.  I mean the year the Cavs beat them was the only year the Warriors were challenged at all in the playoffs.  They need a tough road. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1670 on: March 30, 2019, 01:26:51 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I think it would be fabulous if the Warriors and Thunder played in the first round, as I think the Thunder match-up pretty well with the Warriors such that they will have to work in that series.  They could then face Houston in round 2 before Denver in the WCF.  A gauntlet like that and they could be tired an vulnerable in the Finals if they make it through.  I mean the year the Cavs beat them was the only year the Warriors were challenged at all in the playoffs.  They need a tough road.

Yeah, except Denver is the one team that doesn't seem to give them any trouble. Plus I could see Denver bowing out before the Western Conf finals. Their record vs. Western Conf teams with good records is not good.

« Reply #1671 on: March 30, 2019, 01:51:33 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
If the Celts beat Indy again on Friday, do they clinch the 4th seed?

« Reply #1672 on: March 30, 2019, 01:59:54 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743

no they can still have a worse record depending on the other games.  BUT if we end up tied we will have the tiebreaker even if we lose next friday to them

« Reply #1673 on: March 30, 2019, 02:09:23 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

no they can still have a worse record depending on the other games.  BUT if we end up tied we will have the tiebreaker even if we lose next friday to them

I see, thank you!!

« Reply #1674 on: March 30, 2019, 03:19:32 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Side note for comedy and our distaste for the Lakers. Last night they won for the 3rd time in 4 games all against fellow lottery teams. There are 5 teams between 30 and 35 wins. This stretch theoretically could have moved their pick from the 5th or 6th worst odds to the 10th worst spot (where it is now). Worse for them, last night they played Rondo 35 minutes, Lebron 32, Lance 29, and KCP 33 as 4 of their top 5 players. They played their young guy Wagner 11 minutes.

This is pretty crazy management of their team in my opinion and I am wondering what is going on with it. Despite playing on an injury Lebron's physical therapist should have sidelined him 6 months Lebron is running out an average of 35 minutes a game the last 4 games. is this about him trying to get stats for all times? I haven't really seen something like this in the last few years since teams wised up about minutes management.

I will add, I think there are some negatives of season long tanking or benching healthy players too much early in the season. However, running a 35 year old player that isn't in perfect health into the ground with 35 minutes a game when your team has been eliminated is crazy.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 03:29:15 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #1675 on: March 30, 2019, 03:24:28 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
Side note for comedy and our distaste for the Lakers. Last night they won for the 3rd time in 4 games all against fellow lottery teams. There are 5 teams between 30 and 35 wins. This stretch theoretically could have moved their pick from the 5th or 6th worst odds to the 10th worst spot (where it is now). Worse for them, last night they played Rondo 35 minutes, Lebron 32, Lance 29, and KCP 33 as 4 of their top 5 players. They played their young guy Wagner 11 minutes.

This is pretty crazy management of their team in my opinion and I am wondering what is going on with it. Despite playing on an injury Lebron's physical therapist should have sidelined him 6 months Lebron is running out an average of 35 minutes a game the last 4 games. is this about him trying to get stats for all times? I haven't really seen something like this in the last few years since teams wised up about minutes management.

It's about LeBron trying to show he didn't tank the season ( which he did, by putting this crap team together) and him padding his stats against really bad teams.

« Reply #1676 on: March 30, 2019, 05:00:35 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
LeBron has been shut down for ROS according to Woj

« Reply #1677 on: March 30, 2019, 05:06:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I will add, I think there are some negatives of season long tanking or benching healthy players too much early in the season. However, running a 35 year old player that isn't in perfect health into the ground with 35 minutes a game when your team has been eliminated is crazy.
Wagner isn't any good.  I mean who else are they supposed to play after all Alex Caruso played 18 minutes and Johnathan Williams played 21.  Scott Machado and Isaac Bonga actually played in the game. 

With Ball, Hart, and Ingram out for the year and then Bullock, Chandler, and Muscala not available it isn't like the Lakers had many options.

BTW, Lebron is now officially shut down for the rest of hte year after aggravating the groin last night.

« Reply #1678 on: March 30, 2019, 05:21:29 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

Wagner isn't any good.  I mean who else are they supposed to play after all Alex Caruso played 18 minutes and Johnathan Williams played 21.  Scott Machado and Isaac Bonga actually played in the game. 

With Ball, Hart, and Ingram out for the year and then Bullock, Chandler, and Muscala not available it isn't like the Lakers had many options.

BTW, Lebron is now officially shut down for the rest of hte year after aggravating the groin last night.

That's the whole point man! They need to lose. Are you following what is happening around the rest of the NBA? You know the difference between the 5th and 10th pick in value alone? In their last game the pelicans played Ian Clark 31 minutes, Kenny Williams 31, Christian Wood 27 etc. None of these guys are rotation NBA players. You play Machado, Bonga, Wagner till their legs fall off. Instead of Rondo, Stephenson and Lebron 30+. This was, in my opinion, your worst reply on the 10 years we have debated stuff. Like this is bball 101. lol. Ironically, the Lakers got the message today and shut him down because he injured himself.

« Reply #1679 on: March 30, 2019, 06:31:34 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

That's the whole point man! They need to lose. Are you following what is happening around the rest of the NBA? You know the difference between the 5th and 10th pick in value alone? In their last game the pelicans played Ian Clark 31 minutes, Kenny Williams 31, Christian Wood 27 etc. None of these guys are rotation NBA players. You play Machado, Bonga, Wagner till their legs fall off. Instead of Rondo, Stephenson and Lebron 30+. This was, in my opinion, your worst reply on the 10 years we have debated stuff. Like this is bball 101. lol. Ironically, the Lakers got the message today and shut him down because he injured himself.
They had 9 healthy players last night.  They can't just play 5 scrubs 48 minutes.  They had to play their vets as there was no other option.  And obviously a higher pick has value, but so does finishing on high note.  They want to draw free agents there.  They need to show they have some idea they know how to win and are a place worth going to.  And Walton absolutely needs to finish strong if he wants to get another head coaching job in the NBA. 

Ian Clark isn't a rotation player in the league?  The same Ian Clark that was a rotation player on the Warriors in a title season (also the year they lost to the Cavs).  You seem to have a strange definition of what a rotation player in the league is if Ian Clark isn't one of them. I have no idea if Kenrich Williams is a rotation level player as he is a rookie, but the Pelicans have had him in their rotation for months.  Maybe he sticks around, he is a rookie after all.  Christian Wood probably not a rotation player, but he did play 13 games for the Bucks this year.   The Pelicans, like the Lakers, have a lot of injuries though, you are going to find some deeper bench players playing when you have a bunch of injuries.  Oh and the Pelicans won that game in large part because that non-rotation level player Wood was 11 of 16 for 25 points and added 9 rebounds, 3 steals, and a block.  They probably lose if Wood doesn't play.