Author Topic: Idea: Harden to the Warriors?  (Read 4048 times)

Idea: Harden to the Warriors?
« on: December 01, 2020, 05:04:08 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Would a trade between Houston and Golden State make sense for both sides?

Harden goes to GS and Wiggins, Wiseman and 2 first rounders to Houston for a rebuild.

Would a starting lineup of Curry, Harden, Oubre, Green, and Looney be enough to contend in the west as well?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 06:10:57 PM by Roy H. »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Harden to the Warriors?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 05:17:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Curry and Harden would have a shot (hah) against anyone, at least in theory, but I don't think they'd have enough size in the supporting cast to really contend.

The Warriors are a truly lilliputian team, especially if you take away Wiseman and Wiggins.

Looney and Oubre are 6'8'' / 6'9'' and they'd be the tallest guys in the rotation.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 05:48:52 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Curry and Harden would have a shot (hah) against anyone, at least in theory, but I don't think they'd have enough size in the supporting cast to really contend.

The Warriors are a truly lilliputian team, especially if you take away Wiseman and Wiggins.

Looney and Oubre are 6'8'' / 6'9'' and they'd be the tallest guys in the rotation.

Like the Celtics.

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 05:52:49 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

Like the Celtics.

That’s exactly what I was going to respond with haha. In the games where Kanter didn’t play the tallest player was Theis at 6’8”. TP to you
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 05:53:11 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
This is a solid idea.

I'd think GSW would need to tighten up that big man rotation, especially with AD and Bron in LA. But they'd certainly be in the conversation to come out of the west.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 05:59:28 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Love it. Always like Rockets with a big and under valued wing. Warriors are still fun and gunning with Harden. Both teams should go for it.

Re: Idea: Harden to the Warriors?
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 06:43:52 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121

Harden goes to GS and Wiggins, Wiseman and 2 first rounders to Houston for a rebuild.

Would a starting lineup of Curry, Harden, Oubre, Green, and Looney be enough to contend in the west as well?

I don't think so. 

I think there would be massive chemistry and locker room issues if that happened.   Harden is an absolute egomaniac, and I think that anywhere he goes he's going to be dead-set fixated on the idea that it's his team.  This may not sit well with Curry who has been the face of the Warriors since almost the day they drafted him.

Aside from that, I really don't think Curry and Harden are compatible on the court.  The core talents for both players are there ability to dribble, pass and shoot - and only one guy can do that at a time, given that there is only one ball.  Neither player is an above average defender, and neither is really giving you a lot of value being on the court unless they have the ball. 

Curry has also been injury prone over his career, and Harden is famously terrible in the big moments. 

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 07:02:26 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Like the Celtics.

Eh, I don't think it's really comparable.

The Celts have Brown and Tatum, for one thing, who are tall, athletic wings.

They also have Theis, Thompson, Williams, and Williams.  Those guys are all under 6'10'' but they're generally pretty solid and have good length as well.

The Warriors aren't just small when you look at the starting lineup.  Their bench is made up of guys like Wanamaker, Damion Lee, Bazemore, and 6'6'' Eric Paschall.  It's just a small team. 

They're not just undersized at the 5.  They're undersized at virtually every position other than point guard.  It's not just height, either.  Most of those players are quite slight.  Oubre, for example, may be 6'8'', but he's very thin.  Paschall is the one exception to that, but he's about the same size as Grant Williams.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 07:13:01 PM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2020, 07:59:16 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

I don't think so. 

I think there would be massive chemistry and locker room issues if that happened.   Harden is an absolute egomaniac, and I think that anywhere he goes he's going to be dead-set fixated on the idea that it's his team.  This may not sit well with Curry who has been the face of the Warriors since almost the day they drafted him.

Aside from that, I really don't think Curry and Harden are compatible on the court.  The core talents for both players are there ability to dribble, pass and shoot - and only one guy can do that at a time, given that there is only one ball.  Neither player is an above average defender, and neither is really giving you a lot of value being on the court unless they have the ball. 

Curry has also been injury prone over his career, and Harden is famously terrible in the big moments.

I agree with a lot of what you say, but are you implying here (bolded part) that Curry his off-ball-movement and shooting ability from catch-and-shoot isn't providing much value to a team??? 

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2020, 09:55:17 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I don't see why the Rockets would do that.  Doesn't seem like anywhere near enough value.  Now if it was Klay Thompson and some picks for Harden, that might be interesting. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 09:57:35 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I don't see why the Rockets would do that.  Doesn't seem like anywhere near enough value.  Now if it was Klay Thompson and some picks for Harden, that might be interesting.
I think that's an even worse trade. We have no idea if Klay will come back to what he was before, or if he'll get even close to that. A battered Klay is useless for a rebuilding Rockets team.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2020, 10:20:41 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Andrew Wiggins is still a negative value contract. If the Rockets just want a guy that scores 20 ppg to satiate the fanbase, Wiggins is the guy. If they want a winning quality player, Wiggins is the furthest thing from it.

Also, the universal thought several weeks ago was that a top pick in the draft was not enough value for an all-star, much less an MVP. That hasn't changed just because that pick represents an actual player now. I'm a pretty huge fan of Wiseman, but that trade value hasn't changed around the league.

Several future late first rounders and/or swaps don't swing things enough for the Rockets.

I don't think Manion, Pascall, or Toscano-Anderson add enough value either. I just don't think the Warriors have enough to make that trade happen. Now, maybe if another young guy has a particularly good start to the season, they could make a deal later this season or next off-season.

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2020, 10:26:11 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Andrew Wiggins is still a negative value contract. If the Rockets just want a guy that scores 20 ppg to satiate the fanbase, Wiggins is the guy. If they want a winning quality player, Wiggins is the furthest thing from it.

Also, the universal thought several weeks ago was that a top pick in the draft was not enough value for an all-star, much less an MVP. That hasn't changed just because that pick represents an actual player now. I'm a pretty huge fan of Wiseman, but that trade value hasn't changed around the league.

Several future late first rounders and/or swaps don't swing things enough for the Rockets.

I don't think Manion, Pascall, or Toscano-Anderson add enough value either. I just don't think the Warriors have enough to make that trade happen. Now, maybe if another young guy has a particularly good start to the season, they could make a deal later this season or next off-season.

They have wiseman that T wolves next year correct? That’s quite a bit of value right there. They also have a future grizzlies 1st.

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2020, 10:36:57 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

They have wiseman that T wolves next year correct? That’s quite a bit of value right there. They also have a future grizzlies 1st.

Good point. I did forget about the Minny pick, which will probably convey this year in the mid-teens. That's a decent pick.

I'd have to think the Rockets could find more somewhere else.

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2020, 10:47:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I think that's an even worse trade. We have no idea if Klay will come back to what he was before, or if he'll get even close to that. A battered Klay is useless for a rebuilding Rockets team.
But Klay is a proven stud if he is healthy and has far more value than Wiseman or Wiggins.  The picks would be the same either way.  I still wouldn't do it, but if I'm Houston I'm far more inclined to do that then Wiseman and Wiggins.  That is no where near enough value for a guy that has finished in the top 3 in MVP for the last 4 seasons and doesn't appear to be slowing down yet. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip