Author Topic: A trade kemba to Spurs idea  (Read 2663 times)

A trade kemba to Spurs idea
« on: December 01, 2020, 10:51:30 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
So the Spurs are in a weird place right now.

It was rumored a shot while back that Demar wanted out, they have 1 year left on some big contracts (Aldridge and Gay) and they are seemingly kind of trapped between youth and age.

So the idea is:
Kemba, Romeo, Bamba and a future pick to Spurs
Spurs get a young guy, rest Kemba for the season and get a great pick. Have lots of capspace next offseason.
(Demar and Murray out)

Demar Derozan to Orlando
Demar reset with a former front office that worked with him. Orlando gets wing production that fits them
(Out Bamba and Gordon)

Aaron Gordon and Dejunte Murray to Boston
(Out Kemba, Romeo and a first)

Boston shuffles up adding 2 young players that match the jays timeline.

Murray/Teague/PP
Smart/Nesmith/Edwards
Brown/Semi/Green
Tatum/GrantW
Theis/Thompson/Timelord
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

Re: A trade kemba to Spurs idea
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 11:01:04 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
No one going to trade for Kemba with bad knees
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 11:05:36 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

I wouldnt state that he has bad knees at this point in time, He is getting treatment on it right now, that is different than him never being a good player again.

Spurs would be wagering on their medical staff getting Kemba 100% for next season. When he is only 2 years left. This allows them to get a great pick like when they got timmy.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 11:28:28 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

I wouldnt state that he has bad knees at this point in time, He is getting treatment on it right now, that is different than him never being a good player again.

Spurs would be wagering on their medical staff getting Kemba 100% for next season. When he is only 2 years left. This allows them to get a great pick like when they got timmy.
If you’re trading Kemba as a salary dump then OKC is the team to call. They need to cut 6 players to get to the 15 max signed at the beginning of the season. Presti Might as well send us six or seven expiring contracts and take on Kemba 
They wouldn’t mind taking on Kemba as he will not mess up their tanking plans. Then next season they can trade him for a first rounder ... might even compete with him and Horford lol

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 11:39:58 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Kemba Walker is not a salary dump player. He's still an all-star that helped lead his team to the Eastern Conference finals. The knees are something to monitor, but they don't hurt his value or his on-court production much at this point.

The above trade is not enough value to get back for Walker. I don't even want to trade him, but to have to give up Romeo and a 1st in the trade as well to get back Aaron Gordon and like the 25th best starting point guard in the NBA is bad.

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 11:43:14 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

If you’re trading Kemba as a salary dump then OKC is the team to call. They need to cut 6 players to get to the 15 max signed at the beginning of the season. Presti Might as well send us six or seven expiring contracts and take on Kemba 
They wouldn’t mind taking on Kemba as he will not mess up their tanking plans. Then next season they can trade him for a first rounder ... might even compete with him and Horford lol

What on earth are we going to do with 6-7 expiring contracts?

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 11:50:02 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

What on earth are we going to do with 6-7 expiring contracts?
Keep ariza and hill and waive the rest 🤷🏻‍♂️

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 11:50:07 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Kemba Walker is not a salary dump player. He's still an all-star that helped lead his team to the Eastern Conference finals. The knees are something to monitor, but they don't hurt his value or his on-court production much at this point.

The above trade is not enough value to get back for Walker. I don't even want to trade him, but to have to give up Romeo and a 1st in the trade as well to get back Aaron Gordon and like the 25th best starting point guard in the NBA is bad.

Yeah, we are at a point where keeping Kemba definitely benefits us more than trading him. Honestly, if the return was Gordon and Murray, then that wouldn't be too horrible (no 1st or Langford, though), but I am more referencing the posts calling him an albatross contract and that we would be lucky to find a team dumb enough to take him.

People are being way too hard on him based on the bubble where teams were specifically doing everything they could to take him out of the offense while allowing Jaylen and even Jayson to go off. As the now 3rd option on the team, it benefits us if other teams continue that strategy; and if not, it allows him the freedom to go off. He is still a very good player and the timeline of his return is still the same as they thought it would be back in September. I don't think we should freak out unless he comes back as like the 18-19 version of Hayward.

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2020, 12:16:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Kemba isn't going anywhere.

His trade value probably is at a low due to his knee issues.

The optics of the Celts trading another injured point guard who played hurt for the team in the playoffs would be .... not great.

The optics of the Celts trading away a guy who was a marquee signing in free agency a little over a year later would be ... not great.

The knee issue is concerning but Kemba was good in the playoffs.  It makes sense to load manage him.

The Celts can be a top 4 seed without Kemba playing very much during the regular season.  If he's good to go for the playoffs, that's all that matters.

This should give more opportunity for Pritchard to get some time, which I think is good.  I don't like using first round picks on players with no shot at a rotation spot.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2020, 06:12:18 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121

The optics of the Celts trading another injured point guard who played hurt for the team in the playoffs would be .... not great.

The optics of the Celts trading away a guy who was a marquee signing in free agency a little over a year later would be ... not great.

The knee issue is concerning but Kemba was good in the playoffs.  It makes sense to load manage him.

The Celts can be a top 4 seed without Kemba playing very much during the regular season.  If he's good to go for the playoffs, that's all that matters.

This should give more opportunity for Pritchard to get some time, which I think is good.  I don't like using first round picks on players with no shot at a rotation spot.

Totally agree with all of the above!

But lets be honest - it' not at all shocking the way people are reacting. This forum has always been a floodgate of drama and exaggeration, with the general vibe constantly swinging from one extreme (our star had one bad game, trade him!!) to the other (that 18 year old rookie we drafted 50th is gonna be the next Lebron!).   

Hardly surprising to see the extreme negativity here.

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 06:33:50 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121
So the Spurs are in a weird place right now.

It was rumored a shot while back that Demar wanted out, they have 1 year left on some big contracts (Aldridge and Gay) and they are seemingly kind of trapped between youth and age.

So the idea is:
Kemba, Romeo, Bamba and a future pick to Spurs
Spurs get a young guy, rest Kemba for the season and get a great pick. Have lots of capspace next offseason.
(Demar and Murray out)

Demar Derozan to Orlando
Demar reset with a former front office that worked with him. Orlando gets wing production that fits them
(Out Bamba and Gordon)

Aaron Gordon and Dejunte Murray to Boston
(Out Kemba, Romeo and a first)

Boston shuffles up adding 2 young players that match the jays timeline.

Murray/Teague/PP
Smart/Nesmith/Edwards
Brown/Semi/Green
Tatum/GrantW
Theis/Thompson/Timelord

Where is Aaron Gordon in that proposed rotation?  Only logical way I could see him fitting in the team is to start Smart at PG, move Brown and Tatum down a spot (to SG and SF), and to slow Aaron Gordon in at PF.

That would mean we are effectively trading:
Kemba, Smart, Brown, Tatum, Theis/Thompson

For a starting 5 of:
Smart, Brown, Tatum, Gordon, Theis/Thompson

I'm not even close to convinced that this makes us a better team.  In fact I feel pretty confident that it makes us worse.

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2020, 07:33:18 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

Totally agree with all of the above!

But lets be honest - it' not at all shocking the way people are reacting. This forum has always been a floodgate of drama and exaggeration, with the general vibe constantly swinging from one extreme (our star had one bad game, trade him!!) to the other (that 18 year old rookie we drafted 50th is gonna be the next Lebron!).   

Hardly surprising to see the extreme negativity here.

YAM!