Author Topic: Twitter now X  (Read 15221 times)

Twitter now X
« on: July 24, 2023, 07:24:01 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Twitter has become X.  So, no more tweeting out from the little blue bird.  I guess now you are X'ing.  I understand he has a sprand, but not sure marketing thought this one through.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

Re: Twitter now X
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2023, 08:15:33 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
No worse than Meta, I guess.

But yeah, when the name of your company is synonymous with the industry, it's a ridiculously bad idea to change it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2023, 08:19:03 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

But yeah, when the name of your company is synonymous with the industry, it's a ridiculously bad idea to change it.
Facebook is still Facebook, owned by Meta. Smart move because the name has become deeply ingrained. Is Twitter changing the name of the platform or the parent company?

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2023, 08:33:59 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Elon continuing to do his best to run the platform into the ground.

I just read this morning that, apparently, the bird was nicknamed Larry as a tribute to Larry Bird according to one of its cofounders.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2023, 08:37:13 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Like he tried with PayPal?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2023, 09:03:05 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Facebook is still Facebook, owned by Meta. Smart move because the name has become deeply ingrained. Is Twitter changing the name of the platform or the parent company?
exactly. When Facebook, the company, started buying up other companies they changed the company name, but Facebook is still Facebook. Meta owns all the different brands like Facebook, Instagram, Threads, etc.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2023, 10:05:48 AM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
"X," huh? Sounds like something an 19-year-old boy would come up with

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2023, 10:07:55 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

exactly. When Facebook, the company, started buying up other companies they changed the company name, but Facebook is still Facebook. Meta owns all the different brands like Facebook, Instagram, Threads, etc.

I guess I didn't understand that.  It makes sense regarding Meta as the parent company.  Changing the name of Twitter makes no sense.  And I have not seen anything that would imply that Twitter is still Twitter and X is the parent company or whatever.  I have never tweeted anything and I don't follow any Twitter accounts so I really don't care.  Maybe Musk is planning to merge with Truth Social.

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2023, 11:48:38 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526

I guess I didn't understand that.  It makes sense regarding Meta as the parent company.  Changing the name of Twitter makes no sense.  And I have not seen anything that would imply that Twitter is still Twitter and X is the parent company or whatever.  I have never tweeted anything and I don't follow any Twitter accounts so I really don't care.  Maybe Musk is planning to merge with Truth Social.

I was interested to see if anyone else has never tweeted or followed anything on Twitter.  Me too.  Also no Facebook. 

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2023, 12:08:54 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1807

I was interested to see if anyone else has never tweeted or followed anything on Twitter.  Me too.  Also no Facebook.

I don't have anything to do with Facebook but I do follow Twitter.  My understanding is that the name Twitter remains they have only changed the logo from the blue bird to the X.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2023, 01:09:37 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
So this sort of reminds me how the college I went to decided to change up its logo/emblem whatever that thing is called a few years after I left. It went from having this classic, clean emblem to an over engineered monstrosity that looked like a graphic design major thought it up.

The x on the website looks horrendous. The "names" for all the twitter activities now having x in them is dumb and somehow also vaguely ****ographic?

This is soooo stupid. I mean it also in now way actually matters but I legitimately wonder if musk is just an idiot.

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2023, 01:09:44 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
So this sort of reminds me how the college I went to decided to change up its logo/emblem whatever that thing is called a few years after I left. It went from having this classic, clean emblem to an over engineered monstrosity that looked like a graphic design major thought it up.

The x on the website looks horrendous. The "names" for all the twitter activities now having x in them is dumb and somehow also vaguely ****ographic?

This is soooo stupid. I mean it also in now way actually matters but I legitimately wonder if musk is just an idiot.

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2023, 01:14:03 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

I use Twitter a lot, but almost never tweet.  It is a great source for breaking news, especially sports related breaking news.  The bird logo is iconic. Changing that is dumb, but it has no affect on me or my usage at all, so I don't really care.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2023, 02:23:48 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
In 2009, I met a young guy in the Bay Area (while I was on vacation) that was a salesperson for this new Twitter concept. He was explaining it to me over drinks and I told him that it sounds promising, but something that I probably wouldn't use. After meeting this guy, I still didn't understand the reason why people need to tweet. Almost 15 years later, I still don't get it. Why do people care about this?

I just read that Elon wants to make X a one stop shop for all of your app needs. I've never felt like the oldest guy in the room until I read that. What are all my app needs? Billions of dollars later, I'm still lost on why people need this.

btw, I get Tesla and SpaceX. They seem like they are trying to serve human needs. Twitter seems like it is enraging society. I still don't know how it has improved our lives.

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2023, 02:35:37 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
In 2009, I met a young guy in the Bay Area (while I was on vacation) that was a salesperson for this new Twitter concept. He was explaining it to me over drinks and I told him that it sounds promising, but something that I probably wouldn't use. After meeting this guy, I still didn't understand the reason why people need to tweet. Almost 15 years later, I still don't get it. Why do people care about this?

I just read that Elon wants to make X a one stop shop for all of your app needs. I've never felt like the oldest guy in the room until I read that. What are all my app needs? Billions of dollars later, I'm still lost on why people need this.

btw, I get Tesla and SpaceX. They seem like they are trying to serve human needs. Twitter seems like it is enraging society. I still don't know how it has improved our lives.

I think the good side of Twitter is like the good side of all social media: sharing good news; giving important updates regarding events, schedules, etc.; and giving people an encouraging word. But the downside is also the same as other platforms: using it to take venomous shots at various people and ideas, and contributing to the increasing incivility of society.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis