Author Topic: Save the MLE. Start Time Lord  (Read 4158 times)

Re: Save the MLE. Start Time Lord
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2019, 02:33:56 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
I'm completely on board with this. People are clamoring for Capela and other bigs but why? Williams is an exciting center. He will lead the league in blocks and he will be in the top 5 in dunks if he starts. If they do bring in a center i feel as though they should only bring in a center to backup Williams.

You have mega confidence in a player who couldn’t even get on the floor last year.  I would like nothing more than to see Williams make that historic jump but I don’t think it will happen next year.

I called it in the Buck series, i said if this team had any shot of upsetting Milwaukee they would need to play Williams regular minutes in that series. You are going up against a guy in  Giannis who lives in the paint, and you refuse to insert the only shot blocker we have to combat him? It was pure madness. Brad Stevens outsmarted himself. I have the utmost confidence in Williams. He is a game changer on the defensive end and he will prove it this upcoming year if given the chance.

I thought this also. But Brad did not do it.

Williams blocked Anthony Davis' shot twice in one game. Put him on Giannis and see how it goes.

I've never seen anyone block Anthony Davis twice like it was nothing. Davis started rushing shots and missing badly as a result. This is what i always say about Williams. His shot blocking ability will make players alter shots and miss shots that they should normally make with ease. Brad Stevens made no adjustments in that series and allowed Giannis free reign in the paint with no threat of shot blocking. Still can't get over that.

Giannis will juke him, blow past and get an and-1. He's not going to go straight up and try to shoot over him like Davis was. I don't think Timelord's ready to guard a shifty, mobile driving big like Giannis who doesn't live in the paint so much as he powers into it again and again from the perimeter. He has much more athleticism than Al but not nearly the discipline or footwork to play the positioning game yet.

Giannis is a shifty big?

Giannis has two moves....drive to the basket and shoot the three.

Yes the 6'11" guy with one of the top 3 eurosteps in the league and nearly as deadly a spin is an extremely shifty big.
Thanks for a good laugh

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2019, 04:52:15 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'm completely on board with this. People are clamoring for Capela and other bigs but why? Williams is an exciting center. He will lead the league in blocks and he will be in the top 5 in dunks if he starts. If they do bring in a center i feel as though they should only bring in a center to backup Williams.

You have mega confidence in a player who couldn’t even get on the floor last year.  I would like nothing more than to see Williams make that historic jump but I don’t think it will happen next year.

I called it in the Buck series, i said if this team had any shot of upsetting Milwaukee they would need to play Williams regular minutes in that series. You are going up against a guy in  Giannis who lives in the paint, and you refuse to insert the only shot blocker we have to combat him? It was pure madness. Brad Stevens outsmarted himself. I have the utmost confidence in Williams. He is a game changer on the defensive end and he will prove it this upcoming year if given the chance.

Williams blocked Anthony Davis' shot twice in one game. Put him on Giannis and see how it goes.

I've never seen anyone block Anthony Davis twice like it was nothing. Davis started rushing shots and missing badly as a result. This is what i always say about Williams. His shot blocking ability will make players alter shots and miss shots that they should normally make with ease. Brad Stevens made no adjustments in that series and allowed Giannis free reign in the paint with no threat of shot blocking. Still can't get over that.

Giannis will juke him, blow past and get an and-1. He's not going to go straight up and try to shoot over him like Davis was. I don't think Timelord's ready to guard a shifty, mobile driving big like Giannis who doesn't live in the paint so much as he powers into it again and again from the perimeter. He has much more athleticism than Al but not nearly the discipline or footwork to play the positioning game yet.

Giannis is a shifty big?

That must be why he's so easy to stop ::)

Giannis' drives are difficult to stop because he so long. But Williams is the perfect guy to cover Giannis. Long and quick.
He's not long, quick or strong enough to cover Giannis. He might one day be able to use his physical attributes better than he's displayed so far, but he would get eaten alive by Giannis.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2019, 12:15:23 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Giannis is a shifty big?

Yes the 6'11" guy with one of the top 3 eurosteps in the league and nearly as deadly a spin is an extremely shifty big.

Top three eurosteps? lol

The refs let him take four steps like Lebron is what you mean.

Selective vision is a beautiful thing

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2019, 12:33:44 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
The mvp has just two moves and one of them is illegal... This is beyond petty

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2019, 12:37:14 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
It doesn't really matter how many moves he has if they can't be stopped. It also doesn't matter if one of the moves is illegal if the refs allow it. It also doesn't matter that the refs give him tons of calls. What matters is that he is allowed to do what he does and he can't be stopped.

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2019, 12:47:32 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Giannis is a shifty big?

Giannis' drives are difficult to stop because he so long. But Williams is the perfect guy to cover Giannis. Long and quick.
He's not long, quick or strong enough to cover Giannis. He might one day be able to use his physical attributes better than he's displayed so far, but he would get eaten alive by Giannis.

Williams with Horford's footwork, timing, and discipline would be a GREAT Giannis defender. So I don't mind him getting some reps on him to try and build those skills up. But anyone expecting him to be ready to be our main guy now is nuts.

Thanks for a good laugh

No problem, always happy when something positive comes out of the sin of being objective in what's supposed to be a good old whiny slander thread.

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2019, 12:50:36 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
If we were going for a full-out youth movement, then I wouldn't mind. But we aren't anymore with the signing of Kemba. It's foolishness to think RWIII is ready to start for a team that wants to win games.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2019, 12:51:58 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Giannis is a shifty big?

Williams with Horford's footwork, timing, and discipline would be a GREAT Giannis defender. So I don't mind him getting some reps on him to try and build those skills up. But anyone expecting him to be ready to be our main guy now is nuts.
Man, that would be something else. DPOY kind of talent if Williams had the brain of Al
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2019, 12:55:10 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Ok. But he also blew a few assignments and left his man open for a dunk because he was trying for a flashy block. It was reported that he popped when he should have rolled and missed his pick assignments. We remember the great plays and miss the bungles. Brad and the staff see them.

Whatever his flaws, Brad is clearly willing to try a million lineups. If RWIII did not get out there much there was a reason.

I am hoping that this year he’s ready for rotation minutes - he may be ready to start climbing the learning curve. I’m just really skeptical.

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2019, 03:07:30 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
It doesn't really matter how many moves he has if they can't be stopped. It also doesn't matter if one of the moves is illegal if the refs allow it. It also doesn't matter that the refs give him tons of calls. What matters is that he is allowed to do what he does and he can't be stopped.

Curious how many people would be making such senseless claims about Giannis if he were on the Celtics?

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2019, 03:32:08 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Not sure how Tatum is penciled in as a starting PF. We need to pick up some quality bigs in FA and we need to be honest, if Hayward is healthy he should start at SG and Jaylen comes off the bench or vice versa... Tatum is a SF

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2019, 03:45:03 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Ok. But he also blew a few assignments and left his man open for a dunk because he was trying for a flashy block. It was reported that he popped when he should have rolled and missed his pick assignments. We remember the great plays and miss the bungles. Brad and the staff see them.

His physical talent in impressive but I feel at present his baskeyball IQ and knowledge of the game are not up to par.   He was a raw rookie last year, though and I hope he improves.

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2019, 03:50:03 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Looney for the MLE (if 3 way deal happens) would be a good get imo. Fits the system/versatile defender and has championship experience.

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2019, 10:55:51 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
This is starting to become our reality.