Author Topic: First Take Durant, Bird discussion...huh  (Read 5189 times)

Re: First Take Durant, Bird discussion...huh
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2012, 06:18:13 PM »

Offline staticcc

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38

Not sure why people are so fired up about the fact that Skip and Stephen A are discussing this...it's what they do and it is because Durant likes Bird's game.  All good things.

It's because of Rob Parker's opinion that KD should have picked a black player as his idol, which is ridiculous really.
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe." - Bunk

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2012, 06:20:21 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
The race thing was totally uncalled for, I am a white dude from northern europe and most of my so-called "idols" are black, does that make a "wigga"? I couldnīt care less what the so-called analysts from ESPN think.

"Oh KD likes the game of a whiteboy? I guess he ainīt black enough"

Disgusting.

Yeah, I missed that at first, lol.

Funny thing is that ALL of the black barbershops I used to attend gave Larry MAD props.

I think that, eventually, Larry's game ended up transcending race. I think people started to realize that you just couldn't pidgeon-hole Larry into some category. He was THAT good.

If Kevin Durant TRULY models his game after Larry, he will be even more special than he already is.

Just make your teammates better, KD...make them better. If he does that, then he'll be Larry-like.

He will make his team mates EVEN better once he will get a chance without Westbrook!  Imagine Durant+Rondo?

Now THAT would be special..Rondo-KD.

Perhaps one day.

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2012, 06:25:18 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Bird was a better passer, rebounder, and defender.

Maybe, (rebounding and defense is debatable IMO)but it's the best comparison for Durant. I remember thinking it since his nbadraft.net comparison, where he was described as a Dirk Nowitzki/T-Mac Hybrid. When I think T-mac/Nowitzki Hybrid sounds like Bird to me.

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2012, 06:26:09 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
The race thing was totally uncalled for, I am a white dude from northern europe and most of my so-called "idols" are black, does that make a "wigga"? I couldnīt care less what the so-called analysts from ESPN think.

"Oh KD likes the game of a whiteboy? I guess he ainīt black enough"

Disgusting.

Yeah, I missed that at first, lol.

Funny thing is that ALL of the black barbershops I used to attend gave Larry MAD props.

I think that, eventually, Larry's game ended up transcending race. I think people started to realize that you just couldn't pidgeon-hole Larry into some category. He was THAT good.

If Kevin Durant TRULY models his game after Larry, he will be even more special than he already is.

Just make your teammates better, KD...make them better. If he does that, then he'll be Larry-like.

He will make his team mates EVEN better once he will get a chance without Westbrook!  Imagine Durant+Rondo?

Now THAT would be special..Rondo-KD.

Perhaps one day.

Oh, it will happen.... When they are fat & slow & near 40.

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2012, 06:36:20 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Bird was a way better passer and rebounder it is not even close.   Durant is a nice offensive player though but Bird makes the whole team better.   He was a force multiplier.

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 06:55:13 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
Bird was a way better passer and rebounder it is not even close.   Durant is a nice offensive player though but Bird makes the whole team better.   He was a force multiplier.

Westbrook holds down KD in a really really bad way. Durant is clearly the best player on that team, yet he puts up with Russys way. I donīt think that Larry wouldīve put up with that bs, but KD WILL dominate the league like LB once he has the guts to understand that he is the man.

Durant is just too nice of a guy, Larry wasnīt. Thereīs the diffenrce.

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 07:07:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
In the end I hope Kevin Durant becomes the next...Kevin Durant.

He has some of the overall all around skills that Larry had but he is perhaps lacking where it matters most. Larry might have been one of the toughest, most competitive, most ruthless, S.O.B's to ever play the game and have his skillset. He had an unreal leadership ability and ability to show up in the "moment"

If Durant had as much desire, toughness and sheer force of will that Larry did, he could probably be as good a rebounder and defender as Larry and win as many rings and MVPs as Larry. But Durant will never have the court vision or passing ability as Larry. And in the end, I think there have only been a few players to ever have that "it" factor that Larry did. MJ, Larry, Magic, Russell. They all had that competitive desire and drive to win and to do what needed to be done to win it all. I'm not sure KD has that just yet or that he ever will.

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 07:11:11 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Bird was a better passer, rebounder, and defender.

Maybe, (rebounding and defense is debatable IMO)but it's the best comparison for Durant. I remember thinking it since his nbadraft.net comparison, where he was described as a Dirk Nowitzki/T-Mac Hybrid. When I think T-mac/Nowitzki Hybrid sounds like Bird to me.

Durant is nothing like Bird in terms of passing ability, though.  That was such a huge part of Larry's game that it just can't be ignored.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2012, 07:14:09 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum

He has some of the overall all around skills that Larry had but he is perhaps lacking where it matters most. Larry might have been one of the toughest, most competitive, most ruthless, S.O.B's to ever play the game and have his skillset. He had an unreal leadership ability and ability to show up in the "moment"

If Durant had as much desire, toughness and sheer force of will that Larry did, he could probably be as good a rebounder and defender as Larry and win as many rings and MVPs as Larry. But Durant will never have the court vision or passing ability as Larry. And in the end, I think there have only been a few players to ever have that "it" factor that Larry did. MJ, Larry, Magic, Russell. They all had that competitive desire and drive to win and to do what needed to be done to win it all. I'm not sure KD has that just yet or that he ever will.

Exactly the words I was looking for.

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2012, 07:17:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Always loved this Larry Bird seasonal stat:

36.9 MPG, 20.2 PPG, 9.6 RPG, 6.8 APG, 46.6% FG%, 40.6% 3PT%, 92.6 FT%, 0.9 SPG, 0.7 BPG

Easily one of the most remarkable statistical seasons ever put up by a player.

Oh, and by the way, he did that at 35 years of age with a back so bad he couldn't practice or even sit on the sidelines when he wasn't playing. He came out of the game for 11 minutes a night and lied on his stomach or back on the sidelines when he wasn't in the game.

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2012, 07:17:43 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Well said....this is why I'm doubtful that OKC would defeat MIA if they meet again in June.

Even more reason for BOS to upset MIA. I don't want a repeat of LeBron running roughshod over KD and OKC.

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2012, 07:24:47 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
Always loved this Larry Bird seasonal stat:

36.9 MPG, 20.2 PPG, 9.6 RPG, 6.8 APG, 46.6% FG%, 40.6% 3PT%, 92.6 FT%, 0.9 SPG, 0.7 BPG

Easily one of the most remarkable statistical seasons ever put up by a player.

Oh, and by the way, he did that at 35 years of age with a back so bad he couldn't practice or even sit on the sidelines when he wasn't playing. He came out of the game for 11 minutes a night and lied on his stomach or back on the sidelines when he wasn't in the game.

Sick, sick, SICK numbers. I donīt care that Spike made a scene about Larry because I know he was just jealous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7UZ9g8wvFI

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2012, 07:42:23 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Bird was top 4 for MVP votes his first 9 years. 4th was his rookie year. 81-87, top 2 every year winning 3 and he should have won in 1981 and 1987.