Poll

What kind of contract offer should Danny make?

Let him walk
9 (26.5%)
4-5 years, max offer
0 (0%)
2 year, max offer
0 (0%)
3 years, $75 Million or something like that.
20 (58.8%)
Other (explain in comments)
5 (14.7%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: If Hayward opts out, what do you offer? (Poll)  (Read 4257 times)

Re: If Hayward opts out, what do you offer? (Poll)
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2020, 01:53:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Hayward is not going to opt out unless he already has an offer in the 4yr 100M range.
TP.....this is the reality of the situation.

And if Celtics decide to trade Gordo, he gets a nice $4 million raise on top of his $34 million

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2020, 02:28:45 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
If he doesn't take something like a 4yr/$80M contract, then I hope the Cs will look to trade him. I don't exactly love the prospects of hitting the repeater tax in Tatum's extension season if we don't need to and it looks easily avoidable if we play our cards right.

If they don't extend him or trade him, then I think they might actually believe they have a shot of signing Giannis in FA next offseason. Before you correct me and tell me that it isn't possible since we'll be right at the cap already, I am assuming the plan would be to essentially salary dump Kemba (after next season) in order to make this happen.

Note: I do not believe we are actually planning on signing Giannis, I just don't think it make sense to keep Gordon at his current salary on an expiring contract.
So you’re suggesting we play hard ball with him to try to force him to sign an extension?  Because if he opts out we can trade him.  He’d be a free agent.

Yeah, I’m sure that approach will go over well.

He is a fantastic player, but if he opts out, we will then have the ability to use the full MLE, as well as the BAE. We will also completely avoid any chance of the repeater tax for years to come.

Honestly, is the difference in the quality of our team really that great if Hayward opts out and we sign someone like Gallinari or Tristan Thompson with the full MLE? With the BAE, we would be able to sign another decent player - probably the same level player as if we just used the taxpayer MLE.

Even though we didn't think so at the time, Horford opting out was a godsend for the Cs; I won't go as far to say that I desperately want Hayward to opt out, but the cost of Hayward might not be worth it moving forward. I should note that if we re-sign him on a longer term deal at around $20M/yr, then that might work out for all parties involved.

The guy can never stay healthy when it counted. Who knows what his next injury will be like next season. I'd be happy if he opts out- get us Gallinari and/or Thompson.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2020, 04:01:38 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
If he doesn't take something like a 4yr/$80M contract, then I hope the Cs will look to trade him. I don't exactly love the prospects of hitting the repeater tax in Tatum's extension season if we don't need to and it looks easily avoidable if we play our cards right.

If they don't extend him or trade him, then I think they might actually believe they have a shot of signing Giannis in FA next offseason. Before you correct me and tell me that it isn't possible since we'll be right at the cap already, I am assuming the plan would be to essentially salary dump Kemba (after next season) in order to make this happen.

Note: I do not believe we are actually planning on signing Giannis, I just don't think it make sense to keep Gordon at his current salary on an expiring contract.
So you’re suggesting we play hard ball with him to try to force him to sign an extension?  Because if he opts out we can trade him.  He’d be a free agent.

Yeah, I’m sure that approach will go over well.

He is a fantastic player, but if he opts out, we will then have the ability to use the full MLE, as well as the BAE. We will also completely avoid any chance of the repeater tax for years to come.

Honestly, is the difference in the quality of our team really that great if Hayward opts out and we sign someone like Gallinari or Tristan Thompson with the full MLE? With the BAE, we would be able to sign another decent player - probably the same level player as if we just used the taxpayer MLE.

Even though we didn't think so at the time, Horford opting out was a godsend for the Cs; I won't go as far to say that I desperately want Hayward to opt out, but the cost of Hayward might not be worth it moving forward. I should note that if we re-sign him on a longer term deal at around $20M/yr, then that might work out for all parties involved.
Okay, but we we happy with a player that’s isn’t quite as good?  Are we in a position to take any steps steps backwards when we don’t have money under the cop to get better?

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2020, 06:23:27 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
The more I think about it why not do a 1+1 at $44 million? The fact is he has been getting paid max money the whole time and hasnt produce anything in three years. He seriously owes the team a discount. If he can't do that then let him take his one year (and I'll tell him if does one year he is coming off the bench) or he can opt out.

He has to play ball with the team given he hasn't literally played ball with the team.

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2020, 06:28:50 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The more I think about it why not do a 1+1 at $44 million? The fact is he has been getting paid max money the whole time and hasnt produce anything in three years. He seriously owes the team a discount. If he can't do that then let him take his one year (and I'll tell him if does one year he is coming off the bench) or he can opt out.

He has to play ball with the team given he hasn't literally played ball with the team.
I really don't get the expectation people have of players "owing the team", when even if a team owes a player they treat them like cattle. It's a weird one-way street where the player has to do best by the team, even at the expense of the player's best interests, but the team can discard the player as they wish even if they've gone above and beyond.

Doesn't make sense. Make the most money you can in the opportunity you've got I would say.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2020, 06:31:10 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Don't understand the option of trading him ....if he opts out, he is a free agent and we get zero

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2020, 06:46:41 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

I really don't get the expectation people have of players "owing the team", when even if a team owes a player they treat them like cattle. It's a weird one-way street where the player has to do best by the team, even at the expense of the player's best interests, but the team can discard the player as they wish even if they've gone above and beyond.

Doesn't make sense. Make the most money you can in the opportunity you've got I would say.
Well when people dont do what is expected to the degree Hayward has in other jobs some use the terms like hustled, conned, cheated and swindled. The least you can do is recompensate or credit the team for failure to service. That's all I'm asking.

Also a 1+1 guarantees extra money over his 34 expected and still gives him an open to leave. It's not asking for three years back or discounted. Its just one at a discount. It's more than fair.

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2020, 06:49:57 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Well when people dont do what is expected to the degree Hayward has in other jobs some use the terms like hustled, conned, cheated and swindled. The least you can do is recompensate or credit the team for failure to service. That's all I'm asking.

Also a 1+1 guarantees extra money over his 34 expected and still gives him an open to leave. It's not asking for three years back or discounted. Its just one at a discount. It's more than fair.
If you describe someone getting a disfiguring injury at their workplace and then not being able to perform at the level expected consistently a swindler then that says a lot more about you than anything else

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2020, 06:55:49 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

If you describe someone getting a disfiguring injury at their workplace and then not being able to perform at the level expected consistently a swindler then that says a lot more about you than anything else
Sure says a lot? We are talking sports ask the NFL, WBOs, MMAs and multiple other sports and non sports organization that cut guys if they get hurt. He got guaranteed money and he cant drop a discount and Im the one being unreasonable. Nah he got paid to perform and didn't. He owes the team.

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2020, 07:04:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Sure says a lot? We are talking sports ask the NFL, WBOs, MMAs and multiple other sports and non sports organization that cut guys if they get hurt. He got guaranteed money and he cant drop a discount and Im the one being unreasonable. Nah he got paid to perform and didn't. He owes the team.
Nobody owes the team anything when the team doesn't play by the same arbitrary rules of "owing" people based on performance and injury.

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2020, 07:12:05 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

Nobody owes the team anything when the team doesn't play by the same arbitrary rules of "owing" people based on performance and injury.
I disagree because he did get his money. While the team clearly didn't get what it paid for.

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2020, 07:14:37 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I disagree because he did get his money. While the team clearly didn't get what it paid for.
An evening of the ledger for Boston getting far more than what they paid for with IT, and then him not getting paid because he put he compromised his body for the betterment of the team

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2020, 07:19:00 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

An evening of the ledger for Boston getting far more than what they paid for with IT, and then him not getting paid because he put he compromised his body for the betterment of the team
He also did for himself. Remember his brinks truck talk? He wasnt giving up his run of the team when it was what he wanted his whole life. He wasn't thinking of vulnerability, he was thinking glory with fame and fortune.

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2020, 07:23:25 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  I’d try 3 at 75 but I feel he may want 4. I’d do that. He’s an all star level player whether he makes all star team or not. All the injuries have been terrible but I feel taking emotion out of it, he’s not necessarily fragile. Just bad luck.
  So while I understand some fans saying “forget this .” “Get rid of this guy and get us a big .“ it’s probably even more irrational to give up a star talent who is by far our best facilitator for big men who you can't have on the court On the last minute of a game cuz he can't shoot, or he can shoot but can’t guard pick n roll. Or can guard pick n roll, can’t shoot , or a guy who has lacked motivation and you don’t know on a given night if he’s come to play.
  I’d rather spend that money at the mid level. I dint see a big guy out there that makes us champs. It’s just opinion but I don’t think Gobert is the guy under Brad’s watch.
  Can someone tell me when Hayward CAN opt in and when the deadline is? I thought it was today but was it pushed back?

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2020, 07:38:05 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
There was an early report that his option date would be Oct 17, but the league pushed that back - it’s TBD. They won’t set his date (or the date for other players w/ options) until the league and the players settle on the cap figures.

I have no idea when the cap will be determined.