Poll

What kind of contract offer should Danny make?

Let him walk
9 (26.5%)
4-5 years, max offer
0 (0%)
2 year, max offer
0 (0%)
3 years, $75 Million or something like that.
20 (58.8%)
Other (explain in comments)
5 (14.7%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: If Hayward opts out, what do you offer? (Poll)  (Read 4253 times)

If Hayward opts out, what do you offer? (Poll)
« on: October 11, 2020, 06:44:32 PM »

Offline Linwood

• NCE
  • Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 9
What do you think?

Re: If Hayward pots out, what do you offer? (Poll)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 06:45:42 PM »

Offline Linwood

• NCE
  • Sam Hauser
I like the idea of a 3 year deal where the Celtics get some relief up front, have a tradeable contract and align Hayward to expire with Kemba

Re: If Hayward opts out, what do you offer? (Poll)
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 06:48:57 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I don't see any way he opts out. Unless he just likes to throw cash into the street.

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 06:58:27 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
3-4 year, $60-$90m over the course
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 07:04:59 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Danny won’t offer anything. I can’t think of any max contract ravaged by injuries being renewed by their current team. Most likely owners will move on

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 07:33:00 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Danny won’t offer anything. I can’t think of any max contract ravaged by injuries being renewed by their current team. Most likely owners will move on

Then we have to trade Hayward i.m.o.

Don't want to end up in a situation 3 years from now, where we might have to decide to not extend Smart to make sure we avoid the repeater tax. While that could have been avoided by staying out of the luxury tax one more year by trading an injury-prone player who we didn't want longterm anyway.

For me its: either sign an extension f.e. 70/3 or 80/4, or if you don't like that offer we'll be obliged to trade you (I would bring it a bit more nice though if I were Ainge).

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 08:04:22 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Hayward is not going to opt out unless he already has an offer in the 4yr 100M range. 

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 08:21:39 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Very low chance he opts out and in the off chance he does, it surely means Danny has offered him an extension to his liking..

I really do not see him play for any other coach right now except Stevens and if he is going anywhere, he may opt to be traded to Indiana as its close to home.

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 08:22:37 PM »

Offline Linwood

• NCE
  • Sam Hauser
Hayward is not going to opt out unless he already has an offer in the 4yr 100M range.

You don’t think he would take 3 years $75 Million guaranteed, to rip up 1 year $34 Million? It’s like signing a 2 year extension to his current deal for $20 million a season, the money just spreads differently. I think he’d take that deal
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 08:29:31 PM by Linwood »

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 08:31:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

You don’t think he would take 3 years $75 Million guaranteed, to rip up 1 year $34 Million? It’s like signing a year extension to his current deal for $20 million a season, the money just spreads differently. I think he’d take that deal

I don't.  First, "shifting money around" means losing money, as $20 million in 2020 is worth more than $20 million in 2022, for instance.

Second, if Gordon hits free agency, he'll do better than a two year deal in all likelihood.

I think that he'll be looking for at least Horford money.  Around $25 million per year, with at least three seasons fully guaranteed and a partial guarantee in the fourth.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2020, 09:06:08 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If he doesn't take something like a 4yr/$80M contract, then I hope the Cs will look to trade him. I don't exactly love the prospects of hitting the repeater tax in Tatum's extension season if we don't need to and it looks easily avoidable if we play our cards right.

If they don't extend him or trade him, then I think they might actually believe they have a shot of signing Giannis in FA next offseason. Before you correct me and tell me that it isn't possible since we'll be right at the cap already, I am assuming the plan would be to essentially salary dump Kemba (after next season) in order to make this happen.

Note: I do not believe we are actually planning on signing Giannis, I just don't think it make sense to keep Gordon at his current salary on an expiring contract.

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 09:34:02 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Let him get what he can in Utah.

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 12:20:52 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
If he doesn't take something like a 4yr/$80M contract, then I hope the Cs will look to trade him. I don't exactly love the prospects of hitting the repeater tax in Tatum's extension season if we don't need to and it looks easily avoidable if we play our cards right.

If they don't extend him or trade him, then I think they might actually believe they have a shot of signing Giannis in FA next offseason. Before you correct me and tell me that it isn't possible since we'll be right at the cap already, I am assuming the plan would be to essentially salary dump Kemba (after next season) in order to make this happen.

Note: I do not believe we are actually planning on signing Giannis, I just don't think it make sense to keep Gordon at his current salary on an expiring contract.
So you’re suggesting we play hard ball with him to try to force him to sign an extension?  Because if he opts out we can trade him.  He’d be a free agent.

Yeah, I’m sure that approach will go over well.

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2020, 01:15:01 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

So you’re suggesting we play hard ball with him to try to force him to sign an extension?  Because if he opts out we can trade him.  He’d be a free agent.

Yeah, I’m sure that approach will go over well.

He is a fantastic player, but if he opts out, we will then have the ability to use the full MLE, as well as the BAE. We will also completely avoid any chance of the repeater tax for years to come.

Honestly, is the difference in the quality of our team really that great if Hayward opts out and we sign someone like Gallinari or Tristan Thompson with the full MLE? With the BAE, we would be able to sign another decent player - probably the same level player as if we just used the taxpayer MLE.

Even though we didn't think so at the time, Horford opting out was a godsend for the Cs; I won't go as far to say that I desperately want Hayward to opt out, but the cost of Hayward might not be worth it moving forward. I should note that if we re-sign him on a longer term deal at around $20M/yr, then that might work out for all parties involved.

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2020, 01:44:53 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Nothing.  Not worth the roster spot for someone that can't stay healthy and as a result whose best seasons are behind him. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip