Author Topic: Zach Lowe: Celtics looked into deal for Jrue Holiday  (Read 3640 times)

Zach Lowe: Celtics looked into deal for Jrue Holiday
« on: June 20, 2019, 05:06:01 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
On the latest “The Lowe Post,” ESPN’s Kevin Arnovitz brought up the idea when Zach Lowe touched on the Celtics’ situation post-Anthony Davis to the Lakers, saying, “First of all, maybe we get Jrue Holiday there. That would be fun,” to which Lowe replied the Celtics are “sniffing around.”

https://weei.radio.com/blogs/nick-friar/jrue-holiday-reportedly-player-celtics-are-sniffing-around-about

I'd be more than happy to ship Rozier and get Holiday back. But the guy is earning 25m/yr and still have 3 years left in his contract.

Re: Zach Lowe: Celtics looked into deal for Jrue Holiday
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 05:37:51 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Just start Smart.

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 05:38:05 AM »

Offline Kaz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 73
He'd be a great fit as a player, and while his timeline may be a bit older he'd be a great vet for the J's and other young guys to learn from.

I'd rather chase a quality big for that kinda money though, as starting-quality pg's seem to be a lot easier to find than starting quality bigs.

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 05:57:09 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Nah, I don't think he is worth it. Not efficient enough. Not enough of a playmaker. Be hard to share touches between him, Jaylen, Tatum and Hayward.

I'd rather go out and get a big man. Steven Adams or Nik Vucevic would make a bigger impact here.

Edit: Jrue at his best is someone who needs to play off of others. He is not someone you can build your offense around. If you do, you are no more than a .500 type team and that is with a strong supporting cast. If he is your 3rd best offensive player, you are in a happy place. If he is your #1 (and he would be here because Tatum and Jaylen are not good enough ball-handlers and passers), you are in a bad place.

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 08:22:44 AM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
the Celtics will probably sniff around half the players in the league and decide to draft 4 rookies instead.

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 09:12:09 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Boston is going to be stuck drafting 3 or 4 players tonight. All this stuff about moving up or trading for a vet is nonsense.

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 09:14:44 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Boston is going to be stuck drafting 3 or 4 players tonight. All this stuff about moving up or trading for a vet is nonsense.

id say this would be par for the course .   Or trade up for a KO player .

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 09:15:53 AM »

RazzelnoDazzel

Nah, I don't think he is worth it. Not efficient enough. Not enough of a playmaker. Be hard to share touches between him, Jaylen, Tatum and Hayward.

I'd rather go out and get a big man. Steven Adams or Nik Vucevic would make a bigger impact here.

Edit: Jrue at his best is someone who needs to play off of others. He is not someone you can build your offense around. If you do, you are no more than a .500 type team and that is with a strong supporting cast. If he is your 3rd best offensive player, you are in a happy place. If he is your #1 (and he would be here because Tatum and Jaylen are not good enough ball-handlers and passers), you are in a bad place.

If DA can get Jrue without giving up Smart/Brown/Tatum I’m all for it. Having Jrue and Smart running the PG/SG role is a defense I’d be happy to watch, only if will fill that Center gap!!!

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 09:18:25 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

With the news of trying to trade Baynes, it seems very unlikely they are trying to take on more money heading into Free Agency.

And like you said: it's unlikely they'll be able to consolidate picks for something better. Not feeling too great about tonight!

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 09:19:05 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Boston's main goal now is to move Baynes to create a true max slot of 30 mill plus. Once they do that then we will see who they are targeting (probably a big).

In order to do that they must renounce all their FA including Rozier. That would leave Smart and Hayward as really the only 2 guy to run an offense. A PG would be needed...and I do not think (unless they get Garland) that they want a rookie PG running the show..esp coming from a middle round pick.

So PG is going to be a huge need.

Interesting breakdown...I think they make 14 and 20 tonight and trade 22...they are going to need players on the cheap to fill out a roster and 2 first round picks would be a good start

John Karalis  🇬🇷

Verified account

@RedsArmy_John
 now
More
Celtics cap scenarios:
Horford/Kyrie leave, trade Baynes, renounce Mook: $18.4 mil
then renounce Larkin/Gibson/Wanamaker/Theis: $24. mil
then renounce Rozier: $32.4 mil
trade out 22 pick: $33.8 mil
trade away all picks: $38 mil.
waive Semi: $38.8 mil (max space scneario)

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2019, 09:46:06 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

If DA can get Jrue without giving up Smart/Brown/Tatum I’m all for it. Having Jrue and Smart running the PG/SG role is a defense I’d be happy to watch, only if will fill that Center gap!!!

Now here's a fun pipe dream scenario....

Celtics deal Hayward plus a draft pick for Holiday (Pelicans will want to shed salary, so we would need to send a pick in order to make a salary swap worth it).  Celtics renounce remaining free agents and sign Vucevic.  Kyrie decides that he wants a max deal with the Lakers, so the Celtics help facilitate a sign and trade.  After that, the Celtics use their trade exception in a deal to land Clint Capella (not sure what the rest of the pieces would be).

Next years starting lineup:
Holiday
Brown
Tatum
Capela
Vucevic

There would obviously be some issues with lateral quickness in the front court, which means Brad would need to adjust his switch everything scheme.  Capela and Vucevic would be an elite rebounding duo and their offensive games would complement each other very well.  Would it work out?  Who knows....but it would certainly have strong potential.

On a side note, I'm not ready to give up on Hayward, nor do I believe the Celtics will trade him.

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2019, 10:48:00 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I though Jrue made sense when Al was staying and we were still likely going to be competitive as a borderline contender, but not now.

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2019, 11:00:12 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I heard Jrue Holiday hates the Celtics since he's an LA guy and doesn't want to play for them.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2019, 11:06:00 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Is Holiday even available? Was under the impression that he was very much a part of the Pelicans long-term plans.

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2019, 11:20:02 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Not believing this is a rumor. Thinking it's more speculation than anything judging from the OP's quoting from the podcast.

"Would be nice if Celtics could get Jrue Holiday."
"Celtics sniffing around."

You could do that for any player and turn it into a rumor.

"Would be nice if Celtics could get Clint Capela."

"Would be nice if Celtics could get Bradley Beal."

"Would be nice if Celtics could get Andre Drummond."

"Would be nice if Celtics could get Devin Booker."

"Would be nice if Celtics could get Karl Anthony Towns."

Then guess what? Suddenly there are crazy rumors of the Celtics after Holiday, Capela, Beal, Drummond, Booker and Towns.