Author Topic: Per Shams...C's going hard after a center  (Read 17189 times)

Re: Per Shams...C's going hard after a center
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2019, 08:17:10 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I understand that he's not the most appealing Center to have out there  but if the Miami Heat does not want to pay the rest of Hassan Whiteside's contract, should we take it along with an asset?

He's going to be a stop gap, swallow his big salary for one year, earn an asset, try again for another player next year.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2019, 08:18:32 PM »

Offline sadleprechaun

• NCE
  • The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
I'd much rather try to work a trade with Adams, along the lines of what saltlover proposed, especially if we can absorb his contract and get picks from OKC for doing so.

This.  So much smarter than the other options that are being kicked around.  I'm praying that Danny is thinking long term and not considering a panic move to try to compete in the next year or two--that ship has sailed.

« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2019, 08:20:21 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
I don't think Vucevic is realistic, Orlando is going to offer more than we are willing/able to.

Capela on draft night is my prediction. He's signed for 4 years at much cheaper than any of these other guys.

How do we get him on draft night, though? To do so you’d likely have to include Smart, which doesn’t really make sense. If we wait until the offseason we can S&T Horford for him (most realistic) or trade him into cap space and give Houston draft compensation and a big TPE to use.

« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2019, 08:24:04 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Goodness me.

Vucevic? We are getting desperate. Just start the Time Lord and let's go for a good pick while Jaylen and Jayson get some All Star level usage.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2019, 08:26:16 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1481
I'd much rather try to work a trade with Adams, along the lines of what saltlover proposed, especially if we can absorb his contract and get picks from OKC for doing so.

This.  So much smarter than the other options that are being kicked around.  I'm praying that Danny is thinking long term and not considering a panic move to try to compete in the next year or two--that ship has sailed.

Agreed, Adams.

« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2019, 08:28:31 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I don't think Vucevic is realistic, Orlando is going to offer more than we are willing/able to.

Capela on draft night is my prediction. He's signed for 4 years at much cheaper than any of these other guys.

How do we get him on draft night, though? To do so you’d likely have to include Smart, which doesn’t really make sense. If we wait until the offseason we can S&T Horford for him (most realistic) or trade him into cap space and give Houston draft compensation and a big TPE to use.
They agree to it on draft night and execute it after the moratorium. Same as the AD trade.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2019, 08:34:24 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
No overpay for 31 or older guys.  Geez come on, we’re not contending

« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2019, 08:41:13 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123
Randle or Vucevic. Would love either. What do we think they'd realistically command in FA?

The problem with Randle is defense. Rumor has it that word is foreign to him and not sure how lack of effort on one side of the ball would fit with Stevens..

Not sure why I would actually want Cousins now as before I would have avoided him but Cousins would be a big swing for the stars kind of move. I really believe it could possibly work out for us if he did not have his heart set on the west coast.He is a big alpha though and safe to say if healthy he would not roll over at home in the playoffs. What kind of deal  will he get as free agent? I wonder.

I am 100% on board with taking a run at Cousins.

Even in the Raptors series, when he was fresh off returning from an injury, he still showed flashes of dominance in a couple of those games.

When Cousins is healthy he is a monster - almost certainly a top 3 big man in the game.  Talent wise, he's right up there with AD when healthy and motivated.

It doesn't sound like many teams are going to be willing to take a gamble, and even last year he got almost no interest.  If Boston throw him an offer of say, $20M/year over 2 years, that might be far beyond what any other team is willing to offer.  On top of that, with Kyrie and Horford gone you can now offer Cousins the added temptation of being able to take his place as the face of one of the game's most storied franchises.  You'd have to think that opportunity would be tempting.

Best case, he and Hayward play like All-Stars and the Celtics are back in the "contender" argument.

Worst case Hayward and Cousins both expire in 2 years time, and the Celtics get $50M in cap space freed up to go after some stars. 

Even at 75% of his ability, Cousins can still defend the paint, he is still one of the best passing bigs in the NBA, and he can still stretch the floor out to the three point line - which is most of what Al brought while he was here.  Throw in his elite rebounding and low post presence (two things we haven't had since KG) and he could offer a lot to this team even if he never gets back to 100%.   

Bonus: 
If Hayward and Cousins are playing well after a couple of months and the Celtics are holding a top 3 seed, there's the potential to take a next step by taking a swing at a Bradley Beal trade at the deadline - a healthy Hayward and Cousins combined with Bradley Beal should be enough for Boston to make a serious run at a championship as soon as this coming season. 

Throw

« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2019, 08:42:37 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I’ve been big on Vuc for years, so I’m good using our space in him.

Improved shooter, good rebounder, underrated defender.

Unless we can get a stud PG (who is out there and realistic?), I can’t think of a better way to use it.

If we can get him without renouncing Rozier, I’d resign him. I know the hate is strong here for him, but I think he can be a decent starter, especially if Hayward can take a lot of the ball-handling responsibilities.

Draft aggressively.

Invite IT to camp and see if he’s got anything left (is so, sign for the minimum). Maybe a real offseason for him will get him healthy and returning to Brad’s system will restore his confidence/comfortability?

Use room exception on another big?
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2019, 08:48:28 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Randle or Vucevic. Would love either. What do we think they'd realistically command in FA?

The problem with Randle is defense. Rumor has it that word is foreign to him and not sure how lack of effort on one side of the ball would fit with Stevens..

Not sure why I would actually want Cousins now as before I would have avoided him but Cousins would be a big swing for the stars kind of move. I really believe it could possibly work out for us if he did not have his heart set on the west coast.He is a big alpha though and safe to say if healthy he would not roll over at home in the playoffs. What kind of deal  will he get as free agent? I wonder.

I am 100% on board with taking a run at Cousins.

Even in the Raptors series, when he was fresh off returning from an injury, he still showed flashes of dominance in a couple of those games.

When Cousins is healthy he is a monster - almost certainly a top 3 big man in the game.  Talent wise, he's right up there with AD when healthy and motivated.

It doesn't sound like many teams are going to be willing to take a gamble, and even last year he got almost no interest.  If Boston throw him an offer of say, $20M/year over 2 years, that might be far beyond what any other team is willing to offer.  On top of that, with Kyrie and Horford gone you can now offer Cousins the added temptation of being able to take his place as the face of one of the game's most storied franchises.  You'd have to think that opportunity would be tempting.

Best case, he and Hayward play like All-Stars and the Celtics are back in the "contender" argument.

Worst case Hayward and Cousins both expire in 2 years time, and the Celtics get $50M in cap space freed up to go after some stars. 

Even at 75% of his ability, Cousins can still defend the paint, he is still one of the best passing bigs in the NBA, and he can still stretch the floor out to the three point line - which is most of what Al brought while he was here.  Throw in his elite rebounding and low post presence (two things we haven't had since KG) and he could offer a lot to this team even if he never gets back to 100%.   

Bonus: 
If Hayward and Cousins are playing well after a couple of months and the Celtics are holding a top 3 seed, there's the potential to take a next step by taking a swing at a Bradley Beal trade at the deadline - a healthy Hayward and Cousins combined with Bradley Beal should be enough for Boston to make a serious run at a championship as soon as this coming season. 

Throw

Cousins is the biggest baby in the NBA. If we thought Kyrie was a problem in the locker room or not meshing well with Brad, imagine the chaos that a clown like Cousins would cause.

Jaylen and Jayson have already put up with last years debacle of anti[chemistry. Another year or two of Cousins and they'll be gone the second they hit free agency.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2019, 09:03:08 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Committing a lot of money to second tier centers would be a bad move.  You've got to be able to move contracts when opportunities present themselves.  2nd tier centers on big contracts are not very movable.  Should go after a much cheaper option like Dedmon or Bryant. 

« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2019, 09:18:14 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Cousins
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2019, 09:24:11 PM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
Give me NV and BLopez with the cap space

12 million for 2 yrs is reasonable for Brook

Brook Lopez is 31 and on the decline. Good player, but not what the Celtics need now.

Brook might be if the Cs decide they need a reasonably priced stopgap while Timelord develops

How much would Lopez cost? 12-15 million a year?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 09:37:24 PM by BMark »

« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2019, 09:33:21 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
So maybe Vucevic and Rubio to replace Horford and Kyrie?

I sure hope not...

I don't mind Vucevic but I don't feel Rubio is the right solution for this team at PG. 

To be honest I'd rather take a chance on Rozier as our future PG rather than invest in a 28 year injury-prone PG who can't shoot.  At least Rozier is young, is super athletic, has a capable jumper, and has significant upside. 

« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2019, 09:33:39 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum