Author Topic: Wyc looking to buy a piece of the L.A. Kings?  (Read 3541 times)

Wyc looking to buy a piece of the L.A. Kings?
« on: July 11, 2008, 10:27:38 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Interesting story:

The owners of the Kings have talked with several parties, including the ownership group of the Boston Celtics, about buying a minority share of the hockey franchise, the Daily News has learned.

Sources indicated that no deal is imminent and that in any scenario, Anschutz Entertainment Group will not relinquish operating control of the Kings franchise, which it has owned since October 1995.

In a phone interview Thursday, Kings governor and AEG president Tim Leiweke confirmed that he has spoken to the ownership group of the Celtics, led by Wycliffe "Wyc" Grousbeck, about a "partnership."

"Wyc and I have talked about the Kings, but so have I and a lot of other people," Leiweke said. "There is no deal with myself and Wyc, and there have been a half-dozen people who have been very interested."

If a deal with Grousbeck's group is completed, sources said Leiweke would remain as governor - the top management position under owners Philip Anschutz and Ed Roski - but that other executives, those who have experience in the Celtics' front office, would likely be imported to help run the Kings.

Grousbeck, a Boston-area native, led a group that bought the Celtics from former owner Paul Gaston for $360 million in September 2002. Grousbeck is one of four managing partners of the Celtics.

Under the Grousbeck group's ownership, the Celtics rose from the lowest of lows, a 24-58 record in 2006-07, to a NBA championship last season, when the Celtics defeated the Lakers.

How much of a share Grousbeck - or any other "partner" - would take of the Kings remains unknown, as does a potential price. Forbes magazine estimated last year that the Kings are worth $209 million.

Link.

I'd much rather see the ownership group buy into the Bruins.  Sadly, the Jacobs family apparently has no intention to sell.  Too bad.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Wyc looking to buy a piece of the L.A. Kings?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 10:42:32 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537
Taking a minority position in an existing NHL club could be a first step toward Wyc & Co buying the Bruins.  I'm assuming their main interest would be in buying the Garden but them taking over the Bruins would be super news for hockey fans.