Poll

Will the Pacers trade Domantas Sabonis before the upcoming trade deadline?

Yes
13 (61.9%)
No
8 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Rumor: Pacers are listening to trade offers for Domantas Sabonis  (Read 27170 times)

Re: Rumor: Pacers are listening to trade offers for Domantas Sabonis
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2019, 10:07:35 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Clearly an overlooked problem is that Sabonis is in line for a big contract next summer, along with Brown (if he wasn't included).

It would likely be a one-year rental. You can't pay everyone.

Honest question.

Would it be closer to possible if Hayward opted out and extended at a lower number like they were trying to have Horford do?

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2019, 10:13:35 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I would love Sabonis, but not at the cost of Brown.

Dynamic wings are more valuable than centers and Jaylen projects to be one of the better 3 and D wings moving forward.

Outside of our current centers, non-memphis picks and the rookies I don't see how a deal gets done.

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2019, 10:19:03 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Smart is the heart of this team. IMO, there is nothing short of a monster AD type trade we batted around the last year that could pry him from Boston.

If Indiana doesn't want to sign Sabonis to a big deal, why would they want Jaylen in a trade when he has the same contract status.

IMO, any trade with them would require the Memphis pick.
It's not that they don't want to sign Sabonis because he can't play, it's because he doesn't fit well with Myles Turner. It may be that they have decided that the two of them don't mesh well and that they might be better served by trading Sabonis for a player that fits their roster better. I'm not sure if Brown is that player, in truth I don't know anything about Indy's roster, but Sabonis' talent is not the problem.
They already have a truckload of perimeter players, seems to me that Sabonis is as good a fit as anyone if they believe in him. Between him and Turner, they won't play much more than 48 combined, so I don't see keeping the 2 of them an issue.

IMO, it's not nearly as much about fit as it is $$$. They're a cheap organization.

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2019, 10:57:05 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Clearly an overlooked problem is that Sabonis is in line for a big contract next summer, along with Brown (if he wasn't included).

Honest question.

Would it be closer to possible if Hayward opted out and extended at a lower number like they were trying to have Horford do?

Closer to possible, sure.  But Hayward would probably have to cut his salary by more than 50% to make it actually possible.  Which, sure, that could happen, but it’s not terribly likely.

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2019, 11:16:10 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Honest question.

Closer to possible, sure.  But Hayward would probably have to cut his salary by more than 50% to make it actually possible.  Which, sure, that could happen, but it’s not terribly likely.

Maybe a one-year rental would be worth it to Ainge, but I'm not sure Sabonis is that guy. He's be a major boon to the offense, but he doesn't solve the problem of front court defense.

I'd rather see what shakes down with players like Favors, Adams, or Aldridge. All unlikely due to matching salaries, but still.

Another guy I wonder about is Jarrett Allen, who seems relegated to a backup role because Irving and Jordan got him a job.

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2019, 11:26:06 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I wouldn't trade Brown for him.

Now, if they want to take Langford and a future 1st along with matching salaries, sure.
this is what popped into my head as a fair deal. Sabonis was invisible in the playoffs against us last year.  no way I'm giving up Jaylen for him who has stepped up in the playoffs the past 2 years.

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2019, 11:44:04 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Only reason Brown for Sabonis is being discussed is if Brown does not sign an extension with the Celts.

If Brown signs a reasonable contract of 100m for 4 years, no need to trade Brown.

It will be Langford who will end up getting no playing time.

But if Brown insists he's a max player, Ainge should trade Brown and keep Langford.

There's just no way Jaylen Brown is a 30m per year player.
A compromise would be 25m per year for Brown.

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2019, 11:59:29 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
I like Sabonis a lot. Good passer, shooter, scores in the paint, rebounds, long, athletic, smart, gold motor, solid defense and frankly not in a great position given how Indy has used him with Turner. Young, too. And obviously the family pedigree doesn’t hurt. Lastly he’s in a position of major need. We’re not going anywhere with our bigs rotation. So it’s a question of how/when to upgrade that.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2019, 01:09:05 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Don't see anything happening with Sabonis and the Celtics.

I hope Rob Williams is ready to go opening night. Didn't know he suffered a concussion and today had a setback in the concussion protocol.

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2019, 02:22:05 AM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
which teams do we think are making offers? 

« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2019, 02:25:12 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Now, if they want to take Langford and a future 1st along with matching salaries, sure.
this is what popped into my head as a fair deal. Sabonis was invisible in the playoffs against us last year.  no way I'm giving up Jaylen for him who has stepped up in the playoffs the past 2 years.

If we are looking at players’ on-court contributions I buy this. The contract side makes it tough. To keep Sabonis you’re going to have to pay him, big-time.

« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2019, 02:30:54 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Sabonis does a lot well. Rebounds really well, passes really well, has shown some ability to extend his range although he didn't shoot a ton of threes (54 total) the last two years.

However what he doesn't do well is important, he's very "meh" defensively, really average at best. Not a huge rim protector. Thats a skill set thats really much more important for a center I think. I wouldn't trade Jaylen for him. I'd swap a player like Langford or another young guy + a pick for him tho.

I mean straight up Jaylen for Sabonis probably just makes you worse. I'm not sure its good business to trade a guy who is already a solid 3&D wing type because you dont want to pay him for a mostly paint scoring mediocre defense big who  wants a big contract. That isnt exactly the way the league has been going. There are situations in which Sabonis would be very valuable for a team, like say one that lacks scoring. That wont be our problem next year, so even tho he fits a position I dont know if he fits a need.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 02:41:36 AM by keevsnick »

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2019, 07:47:31 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
The main difference between Jaylen Brown and Damontas Sabonis is rarity.

Every year there's always a 6-6 or 6-7 player in the draft that has star potential.

But it's not every year that you can find a 6-10 or 6-11 player with star potential.

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2019, 07:58:44 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

The Pacers would likely want one of our best draft assets in a Langford trade.  Maybe the regular season grind will provide Romeo with an opportunity to play some meaningful minutes.  Until Romeo flashes in regular season games, I'm not sure he has much value around the league.

As for Jaylen Brown, I would want a draft pick + Sabonis at the moment.  Things can obviously change depending on how the season is going.  Hopefully Jaylen breaks out this season and stays in Boston long term.

« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2019, 08:03:34 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Don’t really see how it makes sense from the Cs side. Sabonis is a nice player but he doesn’t solve their big man issue and he wants to get paid (like Jaylen). Also, trading other pieces for Sabonis like Langford etc puts the Cs in a tough spot contract wise next offseason when they would have to try and re-sign Brown/Sabonis.

Now, if we were talking about Myles Turner though that’s a different story.  He’d be perfect fit for this team.