Author Topic: Coach of the Year  (Read 1526 times)

Coach of the Year
« on: August 03, 2020, 07:29:16 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1290315763316908042

Nurse got absolutely robbed. No way Bud deserved it for my mind.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Re: Coach of the Year
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 07:47:35 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the first time a coach has won CotY 2 times in a row, right?
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 07:51:43 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I like Budenholzer.  He’s a very good coach.  But, is COY really about having your team meet expectations?

Maybe he is getting it because he somehow made Brook Lopez look like an excellent defender.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 08:08:53 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I don't think Budenholzer is a terrible choice given what a season the Bucks have had, but I also would have preferred Nick Nurse. To keep that Raptors team exactly where there were after his best player left with nothing in return is very impressive. The improvements of VanVleet, Powell, Anunoby, Davis have been great as well, so all around (winning percentage, overachiever, recognizable system, development of players) Nick Nurse met all the conditions to become COTY.

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 08:16:29 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
I like Nick Nurse. I like how he still has his Raptors trying to contend without his former Finals MVP.

Should Brad Stevens deserve some love too from the media? How about Rick Carlisle getting Dallas to become a solid middle of the pack team after being 14th place in the West last season? Making Porzingis and Doncic great?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 08:22:17 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
FYI, this is NOT the official NBA COTY award.

This is the National Basketball Coaches Association COTY award.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 08:23:02 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I feel like Nurse should have been the guy. Donovan was good though, I did not see OKC being this good.

I also think McMillan has done really well.

Brad deserves some love too. He’s managed to get us into contender status (probably a 2nd tier team, with Milwaukee & the two LA’s as 1st tier teams), despite the loss of two All-Star starters. Our wings improved massively, Hayward has returned to borderline All-Star form, Smart is having a career year, Kemba slotted in seamlessly, Theis is having a career year and he’s integrated rookies like Grant easily. I don’t think he deserve to win, but I think he’s exceed expectations more than Bud.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 08:46:49 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I like Budenholzer.  He’s a very good coach.  But, is COY really about having your team meet expectations?

Maybe he is getting it because he somehow made Brook Lopez look like an excellent defender.

Gotta admit, that's quite a feat!

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 09:18:39 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Nick Nurse should be the COTY

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2020, 09:32:23 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo

I don't know man, I don't think many predictions had them challenging for top 5 record and top 5 point differential of all time.  That's something.  Plus it might be harder to slightly beat expectations when you're at the top (which I think the Bucks have more than done), then it is to greatly exceed them when you're at the middle or bottom.

For what it's worth, ESPN predicted them at 57 wins (1st in league), 538 had them at 54 (2nd in league), Bleacher Report had them at 53 (tied for 2nd).  (lol at all of those, they're always off).

Personally I thought they'd miss Brogdon more.  Now it's like Brogdon who?  I think a lot of people had them taking a small step back from last year, not adding 5+ wins.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 10:17:43 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

I don't know man, I don't think many predictions had them challenging for top 5 record and top 5 point differential of all time.  That's something.  Plus it might be harder to slightly beat expectations when you're at the top (which I think the Bucks have more than done), then it is to greatly exceed them when you're at the middle or bottom.

For what it's worth, ESPN predicted them at 57 wins (1st in league), 538 had them at 54 (2nd in league), Bleacher Report had them at 53 (tied for 2nd).  (lol at all of those, they're always off).

Personally I thought they'd miss Brogdon more.  Now it's like Brogdon who?  I think a lot of people had them taking a small step back from last year, not adding 5+ wins.

Who needs Brogdon when they have Khris Middleton, the man who always plays lights out against Boston every time.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 11:17:09 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo

Also think Bud might be getting the benefit of the doubt with the shortened seasoned along with people forgetting the Bucks dropped 4 of 5 (last 2 without Giannis) before the season was suspended. 

For pretty much the entire year, the Bucks were on a 70 win pace.  So without a true 82 game w/l record, voters (in this case other coaches, we'll see how the media votes later) aren't focusing on actual w/l because that's harder to measure since it's an anomaly (53-12, how does that compare historically?  How much better or worse is that than we expected to start the season?).  So maybe they're just going off the vibe that was present for the majority of the season (until their last 5 games, which get forgotten due to the craziness the normal season ended with).  "Ya the Bucks were on pace to win 70."

Maybe Giannis's knee injury would have kept him out a few more games.  Maybe with the #1 overall seed tied up they're generous with resting players in April.  The closer to 60 wins the Bucks would have finished, the less impressive their season would have been.  On the other hand, Nurse's and Donovan's seasons would still be impressive no matter how they finished their seasons (within reason).  So maybe the shortened season has made Bud's case look better to some of the voters.

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 08:44:09 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Nick Nurse got robbed