Author Topic: Bill Russell accepts HOF ring  (Read 1241 times)

Bill Russell accepts HOF ring
« on: November 15, 2019, 10:36:03 PM »

Offline Mike Pemulis

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 38
Sorry if this was already posted. Here's from Bill Russell's twitter and a brief article.
"In a private ceremony w/my wife & close friends A.Mourning @AnnMeyers @billwalton & others I accepted my #HOF ring. In ‘75 I refused being the 1st black player to go into the @Hoophall I felt others before me should have that honor. Good to see progress; ChuckCooperHOF19 @NBA"
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2019/11/15/bill-russell-hall-of-fame-ring-44-years-after-induction/40622563/
Allston, MA --> Enfield Tennis Academy

Re: Bill Russell accepts HOF ring
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 11:48:10 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
as ever, bill russell is intelligent and ethical. he is a great human being.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Re: Bill Russell accepts HOF ring
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 01:53:41 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Awesome, didn't know he'd never accepted the ring. And true to his word waited til Cooper got his. Love the principled stand.

...also, pretty crazy that the HOF had no black members until 1975. Speaks to how long segregation affected a sport that's been dominated by black players for as long as almost anyone can remember.