Author Topic: Jackie mac: "Celtics have different vibe because of kembas leadership"  (Read 6838 times)

Re: Jackie mac: "Celtics have different vibe because of kembas leadership"
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2019, 11:39:28 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Don’t want to be a party pooper, but the real test will be when we lose a few games. Easy to be positive when u r on 9 game winning streak.

Hmm, maybe next season. I’m ready to go 81 97-1 baby!!!
fixed that for you

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2019, 11:59:01 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
The vibe is different and I think it's been a collective effort. Good for them. Kemba plays a big part in that but he wouldn't be able to do it alone.

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2019, 02:52:49 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Kyrie is a great, great scorer. He wasn't a great PG or leader for last year's team. Is this really controversial?

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2019, 03:21:00 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Jackie MacMullen has a Kyrie fetish.

Jackie knows what her audience wants to hear.  It's all about the clicks.

She's not wrong though.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2019, 03:50:17 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm not really interested in dumping on Kyrie but I don't miss him a bit and I do think Kemba is a much better fit for the personality of the team. Don't underrate that we lost a couple guys gunning for their next contract too, though.

That said the hot start shouldn't be taken as the only evidence of it - we started 16-2 in Kyrie's first year here. The proof will be in how we do in the longer-term and especially in the playoffs where adversity is inevitable. This 5 game road trip will be a good start to seeing how we deal with that.
Honeymoons are so very real.

I definitely think that Tatum/Brown getting paid and Kemba/Gordon personalities mean that it will all work out fine now chemistry wise. On the court there will be challenges to be sure, but the mix is a lot better now with 4 big usage players and a bunch of orbiting role players who are okay with that.

Compared to Terry/Mook/Al who all needed touches to play their game or get their next deal.

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2019, 03:51:40 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

doesn't mean she's wrong on this

It doesn't really matter.  Being right or wrong isn't her job nor her aim.

Gotta agree with this. She’s been pushing the Kyrie Hate button over and over.

Except when she was pumping the "Poor Misunderstood Kyrie vs the Disrespectful Young Celtics" narrative for him several months ago.

I don't know what to think of Jackie anymore.  She used to be a great beat reporter.  Now she just seems like a 'story' teller, pushing narratives.
I think she's still a very good reporter.

You're just unhappy with how some of her stories put some of the blame on Tatum/Brown. Given that Marcus/Ainge/Brad have said similar things I don't get why you think she's bsing.

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2019, 06:00:10 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
The Nets are 4-6 right now with Kyrie. The Cavaliers without Lebron and with Kyrie were horrendous usually (led to like 2-3 #1 picks lol). The Celtics "worst" and most inconsistent season of the last 4-5 years was when Kyrie was considered the "alpha" on our team.

Ainge took a chance on Kyrie and I don't blame him. But it simply didn't work out, and I think Ainge was another one of those guys who was glad he didn't max Kyrie and just let him go (same w/Wyc Grousbeck)

Kyrie wasn't our only issue last season, but he was definitely one of our primary ones. Not sure how anyone here could dispute that really. I mean, do we think this Nets team is worse than 4-6 with D'Lo Russell instead of Kyrie? Kyrie is a TERRIBLE leader, and lets face it, the main excitement for the Nets is not Kyrie, but more Durant when he returns next season.

Charles Barkley said it correctly months ago, Kyrie going to BKN is "irrelevant" without Durant coming too.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2019, 06:59:36 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1480

Ainge took a chance on Kyrie and I don't blame him. But it simply didn't work out, and I think Ainge was another one of those guys who was glad he didn't max Kyrie and just let him go (same w/Wyc Grousbeck)

Charles Barkley said it correctly months ago, Kyrie going to BKN is "irrelevant" without Durant coming too.

So much truth in these two statements in particular.  TP.

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2019, 01:10:48 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Except when she was pumping the "Poor Misunderstood Kyrie vs the Disrespectful Young Celtics" narrative for him several months ago.

I don't know what to think of Jackie anymore.  She used to be a great beat reporter.  Now she just seems like a 'story' teller, pushing narratives.

You're just unhappy with how some of her stories put some of the blame on Tatum/Brown. Given that Marcus/Ainge/Brad have said similar things I don't get why you think she's bsing.

No.  I am unhappy with _how_ she told that story.  There are deliberate techniques she used that were very much NOT "reporting".  It was storytelling to deliver a narrative that fit an agenda.   And it is not the only time she has done that in recent years.

But I don't want to divert this thread to go into all that in detail again.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2019, 01:19:31 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

No.  I am unhappy with _how_ she told that story.  There are deliberate techniques she used that were very much NOT "reporting".  It was storytelling to deliver a narrative that fit an agenda.   And it is not the only time she has done that in recent years.

But I don't want to divert this thread to go into all that in detail again.

I've actually felt the exact same way. I love her, and she's always been my go to consistent reporter on most issues, but lately she's been weaving things to sound like it is a certain way, when it's the exact opposite to fit her agenda.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2019, 01:28:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think there's a line that crosses into having an agenda, but ... Isn't all sports reporting "story telling" at some point?

Very little of sports reporting is actual journalism in the traditional "bringing truth to light" sense of it.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2019, 01:52:47 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I'm convinced Mike Gorman got it right:

Last season was 85% Kyrie's fault.

« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2019, 02:05:27 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I think there's a line that crosses into having an agenda, but ... Isn't all sports reporting "story telling" at some point?

Very little of sports reporting is actual journalism in the traditional "bringing truth to light" sense of it.
Jackie Mac hasn't been in the breaking news game in years. She doesn't sniff out trades or transactions, or find fractures between player and organizations anymore.

She's very much a good feature reporter and story teller. People are just mad that she told a story they didn't like.

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2019, 02:08:45 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I'm convinced Mike Gorman got it right:

Last season was 85% Kyrie's fault.
He was pretty funny when talking about Kyrie.

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2019, 02:44:54 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
The Nets are 4-6 right now with Kyrie. The Cavaliers without Lebron and with Kyrie were horrendous usually (led to like 2-3 #1 picks lol). The Celtics "worst" and most inconsistent season of the last 4-5 years was when Kyrie was considered the "alpha" on our team.

Kyrie wasn't our only issue last season, but he was definitely one of our primary ones. Not sure how anyone here could dispute that really. I mean, do we think this Nets team is worse than 4-6 with D'Lo Russell instead of Kyrie? Kyrie is a TERRIBLE leader, and lets face it, the main excitement for the Nets is not Kyrie, but more Durant when he returns next season.

good point about Nets record of Russell vs Kyrie .   It could easily be as good .   I doubt either diva KD or Kyrie land there without the others promise .   Never let Celtics winning stand in the way of selfish Kyries dreams .   

Nets organization , now that i think about it is just an east taget they can land to loot as much money and fame as possible , play hero ball and get the most attention .   An easy organization to overthrow........get what they want with the blessing of the mass media and the huge fan base in NYC.   

Kyrie and KD ....are a kind of basketball pirates.   ;D